Thread: DPS problem

DPS problem

Lately my sims have been acing weird Kahories and rawr
    idk why i use rawr
    but they're saying strength would do more dps and ide do more dps with Vengeance of the Forsaken
    one day my sims were telling me i was doing 7-8k and then they just changed to 5k
    i thought i was gemming correctly for my gear and idk why the trinket is like that im pretty sure im running the right spec
    sooo am i doing something i shouldnt be?
    do i need more of arp/crit something?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Qwert%C3%BF

Deleted
    I don't even...
    What are you? Are you normally a blood DK who tries frost? If so get rid of your ArP gems

Quote Originally Posted by Vaizard View Post
    I don't even...
    What are you? Are you normally a blood DK who tries frost? If so get rid of your ArP gems
    Misinformation. ArP greatly outweighs other stats, even as frost. Main reason - Obliterate.

Wrong Nightmare Tear placement, you use it to unlock a socket bonus where it should be placed in a blue socket. Get rid of those leather bracers. Reason being is that as much as you want Armor Pen, agility is shit for us as Frost DKs. Strength above all until you reach the threshold where you can start gemming for armor pen, but even then you still want as much strength as possible since it will continue to buff the damage of your other spells.

As well, I would suggest getting spell hit capped due to the fact that Pestilence is a spell and if you miss, there is the potential that you will fail to refresh your diseases upon casting Pestilence. 17% is spell hit cap untalented. You get an additional 3% from talents in the Unholy tree and another 3% if you raid with a shadow priest or boomchicken. This puts you at 11% which is exactly 289 hit rating. This hit rating applies to Icy Touch as well so keep that in mind that the one most important thing to your DPS is reliant on hit because the moment you lose those diseases, it means you waste 2 runes (an obliterate) and all your strikes are gimped because you failed to keep your diseases up.

As well for your spec, why have you not picked up Unbreakable Armor? it's the staple 1 minute cooldown for Frost DKs increasing your strength by 20% and it can be coordinated with your Deathbringer's Will trinket when you get the Tauren Proc for increased strength. That one point alone is a major DPS loss.
    Last edited by Tymael; 2010-08-28 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delon View Post
    Misinformation. ArP greatly outweighs other stats, even as frost. Main reason - Obliterate.
    You have any math to back this up? I've never seen a Frost DPS parse where the proportion of the DKs damage from Obliterate really outranked all the other attacks. IT, PS, HB, Disease Ticks, FS and other spell attacks always make up a significant portion. When you tie in the strength bonuses from UBA (which the OP doesn't have for some reason). Strength should be marginally better at his level of gear. In real practice all DK AoE is spell based, which pushes Strength better than ArP even if the two are equal on a sim (there are plenty of add fights and splash damage in ICC). If he was running around in a bunch of 277s or something we could talk, but from what I've seen he's not there yet, and basically this guy

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...62867056&sid=1

Agrees with me, if you check his example it's pretty close to the OPs gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw View Post
    You have any math to back this up? I've never seen a Frost DPS parse where the proportion of the DKs damage from Obliterate really outranked all the other attacks. IT, PS, HB, Disease Ticks, FS and other spell attacks always make up a significant portion. When you tie in the strength bonuses from UBA (which the OP doesn't have for some reason). Strength should be marginally better at his level of gear. In real practice all DK AoE is spell based, which pushes Strength better than ArP even if the two are equal on a sim (there are plenty of add fights and splash damage in ICC). If he was running around in a bunch of 277s or something we could talk, but from what I've seen he's not there yet, and basically this guy

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...62867056&sid=1

Agrees with me, if you check his example it's pretty close to the OPs gear.
    Funny, because the person you linked has all ArP gear, and both his specs are frost! Imagine that.

Also numbers: http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play..._Death_Knight/
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/3g3a0...e=3061#Thoreck
    Last edited by Delon; 2010-08-28 at 07:06 AM.

Reason ArmorPen is so good for Frost DKs is because not only does it scale with Obliterates and melee attacks but if you reach cap and carry Sigil of Awareness, the damage jump from Obliterate is massive and it will also scale with the talent Blood-caked blades which is based on melee swings. Realistically as well, your top damage in an encounter should be Obliterate on say a boss like Saurfang or Festergut where RnG is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Delon View Post
    Funny, because the person you linked has all ArP gear, and both his specs are frost! Imagine that.

Also numbers: http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play..._Death_Knight/
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/3g3a0...e=3061#Thoreck
    The example he did in my link was very close to the gear of the OP, only differing in a few slots and nowhere in ilvl, and the example came out with St better than ArP. The person you linked most likely has VERY different gear than the OP, did you read the link I provided? He makes it pretty clear that the turning point is around an ICC 25 level of gear. I'll admit that's a lot more physical damage than I had expected, but comparing someone in full 277 to the OP is not fair, nor is it the appropriate way to choose your gems. That said, I am convinced the OP is getting better results from ArP gems, but mostly because he didn't spec for UBA, which is cutting the effectiveness of his Strength significantly.

One more thing, the value of ArP vs St and especially Sigil of Awareness is going to be pretty heavily dependent on your crit chance because of BotN. The player you linked probably has something like a 10% more crit chance than the OP (he's showing 52% effective on a boss). That should give you an idea of the gear gap we're talking about.
    Last edited by Fornaw; 2010-08-28 at 04:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Honestly OP's gear looks fine for ArP. The link you posted said 264, a few heroic pieces, and good weapons. I'm not seeing 232's and Nighttime, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Smilesaresalvation View Post
    Lately my sims have been acing weird Kahories and rawr
    idk why i use rawr
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    Bad simulator: RAWR <- DO NOT USE RAWR AS A DK
    RAWR's hyperlink is intentional.