Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I remember testing lightwell otu with a friend, it does not brak on damage. Unless you have to take about twice your healthbar of damage for it to break.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lightwell is the most usefull ability holy priests have to kill of noobs. 83 and counting dead noobs who'm cant click <3
    Last edited by XepNes; 2010-08-28 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Punky View Post
    In Cata, Lightwell will make the difference between bad and good DPS.
    This. People in this thread have stated it should be more like healing totems etc, but Blizz stated many times that they're trying to keep some differences between classes, including special spells like this.

In Cata, DPS will just have to learn to click the thing. Blizzard has already improved the range and the "changing target", and if people would just give some more useful feedback instead of ranting about how terrible the spell is, they might actually improve it even further.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam View Post
    Lightwells current issues are:

Long Cooldown
    Huge Manacost
    Requires you to change target to use it
    It requires you to be in melee range of it to use it
    The heal can break on damage and be dispelled
    Only 8 charges
    Can be destroyed

It's good sides are:
    It heals for a decent amount
    Can heal people while you are dead.
    Can be placed far from you, which can save people before you can get in range to use your "real" heals.
    Hmm, taking this in consideration, maybe we could see Lightwell as priests Beacon of Light? You can throw out lightwell and still heal the tank instead of changing to renewspaming.

Though, simply just remove the changing target thingy and increase the range needed to use it.

Or another idea is to make it to priests Starfall. You place it somewhere and it shoots heals around everywhere.
    Vol'jin fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by NoxSSDK View Post
    Maybe if they made Lightwell like the warlocks Healthstones? Where it places alight well for 25 people to take like a "Light Crystal?" that gives you health and such. But iv never ever seen anyone use lightwell in raids :P ever
    99% of all Healthstones are still in the inventory after the raid is over
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldbuilder View Post
    Just get rid of it and give holy priests some other spec specific gymstick...Holy Form please !
    Yea and then mage a disc form for discs.
    And make a pet form for hunters of course
    And a fucking mountain form for druids.

Blizzard has stated 1,5 times that no holy form. In my opinion it would be so awfull idea

Like I said, it's a decent spell. The problem is getting the DPS to actually use it.
    They (generalisation) don't want to do anything that involves keeping them alive, that's the healer's job! I mean, it's hard enough getting them to move out of the fire lmao.

Now, what would happen if it gave DPS a damage buff as well as a HOT? I think the problem would disappear instantly!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    This is the way it was used in TBC, it lost its niche in Wrath because of how little healers had to care about mana, and how they preferred to keep DPS doing DPS while healers consistently spammed out abilities - with the change in model and pacing back to a more TBC style variant Lightwell should find it's place again.

People still don't seem to think about how it can be used to heal yourself - you can continue casting on everyone else, and click the Lightwell next to you without interrupting yourself - thus healing yourself many times for very low mana usage throughout a fight. The fact that very few think of this use makes it a very under appreciated ability. I think someone needs to make a guide "Lightwell and you".

This. I'm excited to see blizard try and make Lightwell something priests will use. Its not a terrible spell at all, its just got a stigma attached to it of 'the lawl I am not going to do that!' that you young fangled whipper snappers have *fistshake*. In BC one holy priest speced into lightwell could effectively keep the melee alive while tank healing (you know, when priests tank healed - downranking Gheal!)

Lightwell is an amazing tool to give melee to keep themselves topped off, and once they get the kinks worked out, any holy priest who doesn't use it in a raid will be a 'lawl no lightwell priest'
    Last edited by Rosechyld; 2010-08-28 at 12:47 PM.

It's Penguin Heaven, Dave. It's anywhere you want it to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    99% of all Healthstones are still in the inventory after the raid is over
    If DPS can't bother to click something that is infinitly close to them, easily hotkeyed, heals effectivly once and doesn't require any environmental focus, then how in hell are they going to click Lightwell?

And regarding Lightwell being the life or death decision for DPS is rather absured. We have survived two expansions without it, and we'll survive a third. Lightwell is only used, and that is with moderation, in high ranked guildes where every +1 counts. And we're not talking about your 25 LK. We're talking about 25 HM LK trying to break the world record.

So count out:

Pugs
    Casual Guilds
    Normal Guilds
    Hardmode Guilds

Maybe the really, really hardcore guilds will use it. And that's a big maybe.

GG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouchi View Post
    And regarding Lightwell being the life or death decision for DPS is rather absured.
    Wait till Cata or ask a priest that is in beta.

What GhostCrawler is NOT Realizing!

In a 5 man dungeon I think Lightwell would be perfectly fine. Your the only healer, light well doesn't drop target and it has a 15 yard range. DPS and tanks can just click it on the go or just click it whenever regardless of HP.

What Ghostcrawler DOESN'T SEEM TO NOTICE. Is the Fact that In a RAID there are between 5-7 other healers. And by the time the dps or tank have checked for raid awareness in case some move or aoe is about to come they would have to find out where the healer placed it, look to see if they need a heal, and click it. By the time they did all this the other 6 healers would of topped off anyone who has taken damage.

Lightwell, if they keep the current design, will never be useful in anything but 5 man dungeons or soloing.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    In a 5 man dungeon I think Lightwell would be perfectly fine. Your the only healer, light well doesn't drop target and it has a 15 yard range. DPS and tanks can just click it on the go or just click it whenever regardless of HP.
    Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Is the Fact that In a RAID there are between 5-7 other healers.
    In 10 man will be max 3 healers but that will gimp the DPS. (2 tanks + 3 Healers = 5 DPS for pewpew)
    In 25 man - 5 healers. Going with 7.......
    Last edited by mmoc8d2dfa350a; 2010-08-28 at 01:12 PM.

I personally thing priest healers are being overly stubborn about lightwell and they refuse to use it no matter if it becomes a awesome ability. For the record, I have no priest char, but looking objectively at the spell it looks better then people give it credit for.
    The way it currently is in Cataclysm looks promising to be honest.

Long cooldown. Ok I agree on this, the CD could be cut a little.
    Huge mana cost. I don't agree, looking at the damage/cost ration and taking into account 10 charges its probably way more cost effective then most heals.
    No longer breaks target to use.
    Yes the heal breaks on damage, but 30% of your max for it to break is a lot. And in Cataclysm people won't be taking huge waves of damage constantly, ideally you will click lightwell after a huge wave of damage already hit.
    Now it has 10 charges, looks good.
    Yes it can be destroyed and the heal dispeled reducing its effectiveness in PVP to some extent, that doesn't mean they can't code it so it doesn't get destroyed by boss aoe.

Now, I will try to think at the top of my head in which ICC fights the new lightwell would be useful.

Marrowgar, you put them somewhere in the middle, DPSers running back and forth avoiding Marrowgar and DPSing spikes will be able to pass by them and heal themselves. If the lightwell can be coded to not get hit by the Bonestorm and coldflame (I have no idea if it can or can't be hit since I don't have a priest), then its good.

Lady Deathwisper, if you put them in the center of the room, the melee can click it while going from one side to another to DPS mobs, melees or ranged can click on it while running away from ghosts etc.

Gunship, placing the lightwells close to the sides allows ranged to heal themselves from riflemen fire.

Deathbringer Saurfang, I'm not sure if lightwell is useful here. First you you don't have people moving around a lot going past it to make it useful. Secondly I think the damage of boiling blood and mark are high enough that they will break lightwell heal.

Festergut, aoe damage in the first stages is high enough that it will break lightwell heal, but probably light enough later on to be usable.

Rotrace, lots of movement, and light damage. You could put a lightwell or two near the boss to that melee click on it while they circle around it to avoid the vomit. Putting them by the edge of the room can also help people running with the little ooze.

Professor Putricide, putting some lightwells in the middle can help heal people that are knocked back after green ooze explosion, just before P3 putting them in the kite path of the tanks could be useful.

Blood Princes, a movement intensive fight with lots of periodic aoe. Lightwell is useful for healing up damage after empowered shock vortex, taldaram's empowered fire orb, or just useful for people to stop by and let their stack of shadow prison drop and heal.

Blood Queen, probably not the most useful fight for it, the aoe damage here is either avoidable, in case of the shadow trail you leave, or too intense for lightwell, like in the case of link and P2 aoe shower.

Valithria, generally aoe here is avoidable, you can run away from the geisers on the ground left by the liches, you can interrupt the aoe frostbolts and run from the zombie, the blazing shouldn't be able to get of more then 1 tick of fire at most.

Sindragosa, in P3 the aoe aura damage might tick too high if have lots of stacks, but in P1 and P2, it should be ok. Since frost aura ticks only every 3 seconds, you could click on lightwell after a tick, you get half the healing before the next tick and since only one tick of frost aura isn't enough to break the effect you get healed up some more after.

Lich King, lots of movement with the shadow prison on hard mode, lightwell would have to be placed in strategic spots along the kite path in P1 to be effective. Aoe damage is sporadic, but not too high, it could probably be used right after a infest.
    P2, aoe damage is kind of unpredictable and spiky. Lightwell could probably be used to heal trough the cone attack, but if you are unlucky and get too many ticks the damage might break the heal.
    In P3 and P4 you still have infest, defile is avoidable and needs to be avoided, damage from spirits needs to be avoided.

So overall I think the new and improved lightwell might be usable on 9 out of the 12 ICC encounters, not bad I say. I could probably thing of a couple of fights in Ulduar as well where Lightwell might be useful, but I think I've already made my point. Lightwell looks like a nice spell in the priest's repertoire, one that perhaps needs to be tried a bit more in Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Punky View Post
    Bravo

In 10 man will be max 3 healers but that will gimp the DPS. (2 tanks + 3 Healers = 5 DPS for pewpew)
    In 25 man - 5 healers. Going with 7.......
    Same sort of ratio between the amount of 10 and 25 healers. 3 healers is plenty and will top off damage before lightwell can.

At best atm, I would just ask a tank to make a macro for it and put it next to them for extra tank healing.

---------- Post added 2010-08-28 at 01:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Admuntour View Post
    I personally thing priest healers are being overly stubborn about lightwell and they refuse to use it no matter if it becomes a awesome ability. For the record, I have no priest char, but looking objectively at the spell it looks better then people give it credit for.
    You sir need a priest and need to test it yourself because I just....

Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Make an aura effect on lightwell so anyone in range would get an icon pop up somewhere they could click to use it ? =)

The way it currently is in Cataclysm looks promising to be honest.
    No No No No.

Almost every priest has at some point in the past looked at lightwell and thought 'Hey, this isn't all that bad, I bet I can get our dps to use it'. On paper it looks decent, with high Heals-per-mana & heals-per-casttime. The result has been total abject failure, because dps simply won't click on it and refusing to heal them unless they do isn't really an option .

About the only person in the raid who might conceivably click on lolwell is the tank, since he actually pays atttention to his own survival - unfortunately in most cases it doesn't heal enough to be worth his time.

The only encounter it has really seen situational use on is Sindragosa, since there it has advantages since you'll be out of LoS so much. Even there it's not great, especially on 25 man where the damage intake is just too big for it to matter.

I think it's funny they're trying to ask people to use lightwell. That in itself ought to show the devs people don't want it. OR! it may tell the devs people think it's fine. o_o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yewen View Post
    Throughout this game they have never given a reason for DPS to be accountable for their actions in raid encounters, other than being in the right spot and the right time.
    From what I can tell, given that they want healer mana to matter rather than be infinite and no longer a limiting factor on encounters, on occasion they want that spot to be next to a Lightwell and that time to be when you have damage that the healers are too busy/low on mana to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by oddf3llow View Post
    Whenever I've stuck one down, NOBODY will use it.
    Personally I try to use it as I think it's a fun spell.

A lot of people complaining seem to be thinking about Lightwell *now*, and yes I'll grant you with infinite healer mana there's next to no use for it as there's no limit to the heals that can be thrown around. However I don't recall any posts that say something like "I'm playing a Holy Priest in the beta. I have tested this spell in the environment where Blizz want it to be useful. I have done Battlegrounds, Arenas, 5-mans, Heroics, Raids, Hard Modes and I can safely say it's still entirely unnecessary". I'm a begrudging member of the No Beta Club, but I understand not all of those things are available yet, so I can't see that it's possible to dismiss Lightwell yet as it can't be tested everywhere.

I have seen guides to healing, clearly not written during Wrath but I don't know when exactly, that explicitly say it's ok to let a dps die if it will be sufficient to allow you to keep everyone else alive easier. I gather from Blizz's comments that they want this to be the case again; make First Aid matter again to save the healers' mana, make Healthstones matter again to save the healers' mana, make Lightwell matter again to save the healers' mana. They want receiving a heal to be a privilege not a right, so to speak (unless you're the tank, of course).
    Last edited by mmocec303aaab8; 2010-08-28 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo

Wrong IMO.

Fact is, most priests out there have toyed with it, and indeed think it's a decent spell, but that's not the problem!
    As has been stated a gazillion times on any place that discusses this subject, DPS never want to use it!

Anything that (*massive generalisation again*) requires interrupting their face rolling around on their keyboard is simply a no-go.
    Why the hell would they click on it?? Healing is the priest's job, right? It might make their DPS meter lose a few numbers....etc.

I realise it shouldn't be like that; DPS should care more about keeping themselves alive, unfortunately though, it IS like that, and I can't see it changing any time soon, no matter how much awesomesauce GC pours in the Lightwell.

Now, like I said earlier, if it included a damage buff when clicked, you see how fast DPS classes change their minds!! lol

Deleted
    Why do they not simple give us (holy priests) the lightwell as it is in Trail of the Champion. That one works fine.

Maybe tweak it a bit so that it becomes:

"Places a Lightwell at target location, increasing healing receiving by players standing near the well by X%. In addition the lightwell will heal the lowest percentage party or raid member for Y ammount. This effect can not occur more than once every 2 seconds. Cooldown 3 minutes, Costs S% of base mana, 30y range