High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Overclocking CPU (This time improved)

I've made a previous thread about my broken overclock.

CPU cooled by 120mm radiator.

*What I did to fix/make better*
    Yes the temperature is higher than the last one but the clock is also higher. I changed the volts to match people that have already overclocked the I7 950. Also it never went over 80c, and averaged around 78c on the first core. So I'm happy.

I would still like opinions/comments, or if you see anything that could possibly be bad.
    Thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is still VERY hot and you're still running with a low base clock and high multiplier, which is the opposite of what you want to do.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, im most likely going to be messing with this for awhile

15+ Year Old Account
    Your goal should be to overclock in steps.

1. Lower your CPU multipler to half of its stock value and your RAM multiplier as low as it will go.
    2. Raise your base clock to its maximum stable speed, testing periodically. If you hit 200MHz base clock, move on to step 3.
    3. Raise your CPU multiplier a few steps at a time until your system becomes unstable, then lower it one notch.
    4. Raise your RAM multiplier to whatever gives you stock speed on your RAM (ie. 1600MHz RAM @ 200MHz base clock would be a 2:8 RAM multiplier).

Your overclocking should be very iterative (small changes, then test, then small changes, then test). It will take a lot of time, but will be worth it in the end.

Testing tools: OCCT (specifically the Linpack test) or IntelBurnTest. Both use Linpack, which is the hardest stress test available and will find both CPU and RAM instability the fastest (much faster than Prime95).
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2010-08-28 at 05:44 PM.

For a 950 at 4Ghz that's quite toasty. The 920@4Ghz I have on air cooling tops at 72.

Ensure you have your cooler mounted properly, with some decent TIM, and that if you're using something like the H50, your fans are cooling it properly.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

You probably want to be at 21x or even 19x on multiplier and do the rest from base clock. Also if I remember correctly odd number on the multiplier works better I can't remember why. Right now to get to 4.0 you are doing the following Multiplier is 24 and your bus speed is at 170 so it is multiplying 170x24 to get your computers speed. Lower the multiplier and raise the base clock in increments you will get a higher and more stable (stability is important) OC. Also read the thread I linked in your other Posting it details steps on how to overclock your chip and its pretty much on the money.

@Cilraaz Semy's gear is horrible :P
    Last edited by Dethh; 2010-08-29 at 12:02 AM.

why do you keep highering you multiplier that high?

for a 4,0 Ghz OC you don`t need to get over x20 multiplier

you will get a mush more stable OC with 20x 200 and then fix your voltage to the prober settings (depends on the board you are using)
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    @Cilraaz Semy's gear is horrible :P
    He's my third alt and I don't play outside of raids anymore. Not sure what you expect, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    That is still VERY hot and you're still running with a low base clock and high multiplier, which is the opposite of what you want to do.
    Does that hold true for AMD cpus as well or is it just an intel thing?

Most of what I'm reading about phenom 2s says to pump up the multiplier and leave the base clock alone.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    Does that hold true for AMD cpus as well or is it just an intel thing?

Most of what I'm reading about phenom 2s says to pump up the multiplier and leave the base clock alone.
    I haven't overclocked an AMD chip in a long time, so I couldn't say for modern AMD chips. What I listed above is applicable to any "Core" Intel CPU (Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Core i, etc).

AMD's Max temps are lower, much lower, the latest ones are slightly better, for example a first generation 1055T has a TDP of 125W and a max temp of 62ºC, the newer ones have a TDP of 95W while having a max temp of 71ºC (http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...?id=641&id=652).
    In terms of overclocking it doesn't really matter much on the processor how you get there either trough reference clock or multiplier, there was a certain trend indicating a need for less voltage when doing trough the reference clock, but it's so small it's not really even confirmable so it's basically meaningless.
    The most common way is trough multiplier mainly because it's easier, but working trough reference clock its perfectly doable, just gives a few more headaches on RAM, HT, and FSB, personally I use a programmable underclock, I prefer to mess with multipliers so I can keep the lower state with less voltage, ideally working with both FSB and multipliers offers much better control.