Heirlooms + elemental

I'm thinking of levelling a shaman as my newest alt and i was wondering if the cloth heirlooms are usable for elemental/resto and melee leather ones usable effectivley for enchancement? Don't really want to spend forever grinding out emblems just for the mail looms. Any advice?

Works fine, unless you want higher armor value.

Leveled all including paladin and shaman/hunter with the gear u mentioned, its just fine
    The armor u miss on 2 pieces really doesnt matter compared to the stamina it gives u tbh, i only ever died when i got overconfident or stupid pulling WAY to many mobs

You don't need to buy multiple sets. Purchase the mail pieces and they will downgrade for that class to the current armor as long as you can wear that type later.

I.E. you can buy plate heirlooms, mail them to a level one pally and they will show up as Mail until the Pally gets plate armor, then they will change.

I know that, i just already have the cloth & leather set so if they're viable i don't see the need in buying the mail set.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromas View Post
    You don't need to buy multiple sets. Purchase the mail pieces and they will downgrade for that class to the current armor as long as you can wear that type later.

I.E. you can buy plate heirlooms, mail them to a level one pally and they will show up as Mail until the Pally gets plate armor, then they will change.
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with OPs question

The cloth ones are fine for elemental but you need the mail/ leather ones for enhancement since the pure leather ones don't gain any intellect which will hamper your dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cloth/leather is just fine. I ended up with the melee and caster mail, but I actually switch to the cloth in instances anyway due to the stats that is offers. As ele I get a good amount more dps out due to the itemization. When Im soloing or healing I do find the mail works better, however, if you don't want to farm badges the difference isn't so much to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Epiclurker View Post
    The cloth ones are fine for elemental but you need the mail/ leather ones for enhancement since the pure leather ones don't gain any intellect which will hamper your dps.
    This is also a reasonable concern. However, Imo, I think that it's possible to get plenty of int off of other pieces of gear, so much that missing it on two really good pieces without int will not hurt so much in the end. After all, the heirlooms would still be better then a mail piece with int that you might find in a dungeon or quest by leaps. Though the mail is optimum the leather is far from obsolete.
    Last edited by Takanami; 2010-08-30 at 05:30 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

Don't forget that even if they're not optimal compared with items from the same level, they are the only way to get the +20% xp bonus.