New to Tanking - What's the deal with parry?

Like it says in the title I'm new to warrior (and all) tanking and whilst I grasp the idea of EH being the most important thing in the whole wide world of warcraft right now, I don't see why all the guides I've been reading favor Dodge over Parry where availible. I mean there's that whole Icecrown debuff thing that pretty much nullifies my Dodge as it stands right now (albeit I'm only in 219-245 gear) but surely going for Parry everywhere I can (so long as it doesn't sacrifice stam/armour) would give me the same EH only with additional avoidance that isn't nerfed by that stupid buff not to mention a threat boost because a Parry refreshes my swing timer. Am I missing something major or are the guides outdated? (Also whilst I'm asking questions what's all this "diminishing returns stuff I've been hearing about?)

Parry haste??

I would asume anyways.
    Sometimes you just have to stop healing some people to prove a point, if they don't listen, it's really their own fault :P

Dodge is easier to stack 'cause it gets less penalty from diminishing returns I believe.

Diminishing returns: Say you need 10 dodge rating to gain 1% dodge. Now, diminshing returns would require you to then gain 12 more dodge rating instead of 10 to get another full percent of dodge.

because for every XX dodge rating you get a full 1%.

it takes 30 something dodge rating to get 1% dodge, it takes 50 something parry rating to get 1% parry

makes more sense to go with dodge right?

after around 25%, diminishing returns start affecting the rating to %. so it will take more and more dodge rating to get 1% dodge. until it takes more dodge rating to get 1% dodge than parry rating to get 1% parry, you will want to stick with dodge.

also, attacks can be dodged in a 360 degree angle, attacks can only be parried from the front 180 degrees i believe.

when an attack is parried, you get a chance to counter attack *called parry haste*... this is why you want expertise, because if the enemy is parrying your attacks, you take more damage. *expertise reduces chance your attacks are dodged/parried*.

Diminishing returns basically imply that stat scaling in Wow is non-linear. That is to say the value of each point of a stat decreases as you get more of it.

I haven't tanked seriously in a long time but I'm pretty sure that Parry has a much harsher DR value to it which is why Dodge is better. Theoretically a % chance not to take damage is a % chance not to take damage, however a point of Parry is worth less than a point of dodge.

It might also be a higher item budget or something, but generally speaking if reliable people are telling you not to do it don't do it.

*Edit* At the above poster only Mobbs can dodge behind them, neither mobs or players can parry behind them.

what max said; once you reach a certain amount of dodge, more dodge is going to give you less % per point of rating beyond that point. Parry reaches that point much sooner.
    Also, parry costs more rating (i believe - not sure) to get a full percentage than dodge does at any point.
    finally, you hit more often with parry, thereby generating more threat, thereby having a greater chance to be parried, activating parry haste on a few bosses, thereby taking more damage. its very insignificant, but dodge has absolutely no ramifications to your damage intake.
    FINALLY GOT CATACLYSM!

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Parry haste??

I would asume anyways.
    Read the post atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by lethargik View Post
    also, attacks can be dodged in a 360 degree angle, attacks can only be parried from the front 180 degrees i believe.
    You can not dodge attacks coming from behind you. Only mobs can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tricknick76 View Post
    finally, you hit more often with parry, thereby generating more threat, thereby having a greater chance to be parried, activating parry haste on a few bosses, thereby taking more damage. its very insignificant, but dodge has absolutely no ramifications to your damage intake.
    Though if you get enough expertise to hit the cap, you can nullify that completely.
    Last edited by Maxhp; 2010-08-31 at 03:02 AM.

You can't dodge from behind.

Last time I checked the numbers, it was roughly dodge to twice the ammount of parry before parry was the correct choice. Don't be fooled into not getting dodge just because of the ICC debuff, if you are above 0%, than its still a bigger improvement.

also, don't gem for dodge rating. red sockets should be agility/stamina.

Pretty much what leth said

Thankies

Okay thanks guys

I understand Diminishing Returns now, before I thought it was that after you dodge once in a fight your chance to dodge again is reduced like Fear or Stuns in PvP which I did think was a bit harsh! xD

As for the whole Parry vs. Dodge, I looked at the amount of Parry rating and Dodge rating I have and I now understand that it IS much easier to get 1% of Dodge over 1% Parry so thanks for explaining that to me.

All in all, thanks all around :P

Quote Originally Posted by lethargik View Post
    also, don't gem for dodge rating. red sockets should be agility/stamina.
    Why would you gem agility/stam? Agility isn't even a major stat for tanking classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Why would you gem agility/stam? Agility isn't even a major stat for tanking classes.
    Because you gain armor, dodge and melee crit from it. Plus the odds are you have a load of dodge rating already, which means you can probably squeez out a bit more dodge from the agility than if you were to gem dodge rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    because agility provides armor/dodge/ap/crit

---------- Post added 2010-08-30 at 11:44 PM ----------

oh an since patch 3.2 it takes 45.25 dodge rating for 1% and 45.25 parry rating for 1%
    however parry hits diminishing returns a lot faster