Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Too big of Monitor?

I currently run a 1000W PSU, Radeon HD 5770, 5GB of RAM, and my CPU runs at 3GHz. I normally get around 15-20 fps in raids, and 20ish in Dalaran. I use my 46" flatscreen as my moniter, and was wondering if that's the reason I don't believe I'm getting the quality I should be getting?

What is your CPU ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Monitor size means nothing to framerate. When considering a monitor's impact to framerate, the only thing that matters is resolution. 1920x1080 on a 24" LCD is the same as 1920x1080 on a 50" LCD, as far as the computer is concerned. Either way, only a little over 2 million pixels are being drawn.

AMD Phenom™ II X4

---------- Post added 2010-08-31 at 02:02 PM ----------

hmm. Well then do you think im gettin the proper fps and whatnot?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hazzerdus View Post
    AMD Phenom™ II X4

---------- Post added 2010-08-31 at 02:02 PM ----------

hmm. Well then do you think im gettin the proper fps and whatnot?
    You should probably be getting higher framerate than that. What resolution are you running at? Can you provide a dxdiag output? Have you checked temperatures?

Also, how in the hell do you have 5GB RAM? Or was that a typo of 4GB or 6GB? Not meaning to be a jackass. I'm just curious, since you don't see 5GB thrown around often.

15-20fps is totally normal in 25-man raids/Dalaran if you have all graphics on max. I get around 20-25fps with 2.8GHz PhenomII at 1920x1080 resolution with shadows turned down 2 steps.

If you're running on something other than ultra settings, it's bit too slow and something's wrong.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'm running on ultra settings, I can't provide a dxdiag because im at school, and i have 5GB of ram because i have 2 x2GB, and a 1GB I stole from my brother lmao. Also, temperatures have been fine. Resolution is 1620x 1200 i think? can't remember exactly

If the tv is "FullHD" you should only run it at 1920x1080 resolution, nothing else. Anything smaller will cause various degrees of scaling errors which will be huge problem with game UI, making small text unreadable for example.

And if it's at 1920x1080, the CPU is too slow for 'ultra' settings. Drop shadows and particle density to halfway of the slider, and you'll get 10fps more.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

@ vesseblah. alright, before when i used an HD cable, I could play at 1820x1080, but it didn't seem as if it was a very good picture. I switched to the VGA port, and it seemed like a better picture, but there was no 1920x1080 option on display settings, or in WoW. Any idea why that could be?

Deleted
    If you had 4gb of RAM and stole another 1gb then you probably just made it worse. Since your memory isnt running in dual channel mode anymore and 4gb is all you need. upgrading from 4 to 5 doesnt really make a difference.

edit: of course this isnt the reason for your low fps but im just pointing something out.

---------- Post added 2010-08-31 at 05:18 PM ----------

VGA cable on a 46" inch TV? Dont you notice the bad quality? Lol. you should get a HDMI cable if your 5770 has a hdmi port. Also see if your Video card drivers are up to date! www.ati.com and search for drivers.

Well when I use the hdmi cable it seems like its worse quality, and yes all my drivers are up to date.

Deleted
    Okay. sounds pretty fishy that you cant select 1920x1080 in wow video settings though..

VGA cable is 100% certainly shittier quality than HDMI or DVI unless you set Windows into some strange resolution. Have it at native 1920x1080 and it will look better for sure. Remember you need to set Windows to 1920x1080 first before you can set WoW to that resolution also.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hazzerdus View Post
    @ vesseblah. alright, before when i used an HD cable, I could play at 1820x1080, but it didn't seem as if it was a very good picture. I switched to the VGA port, and it seemed like a better picture, but there was no 1920x1080 option on display settings, or in WoW. Any idea why that could be?
    VGA port makes most TVs' act like a regular dumb computer monitor, accepting the resolution you put in but does little to nothing to improve image quality. this can be a good thing, especially if the TV uses some kind of non-standard resolution that wouldn't get supported through the HDMI cable.

Through the HDMI cable, most TVs' treat the signal like something that should get enhanced, like frame blending and color correction etc. It could also possibly upscale the resolution in a weird way, thus making the picture look weird. When using HDMI, make sure that your PC says that resolution is set to 1920x1080, not that the TV interprets the source as that.
    Last edited by Wries; 2010-08-31 at 03:48 PM. Reason: rephrasing

If I'm using the dvi extension out of the vidcard into the VGA on the TV is that still bad?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    If you had 4gb of RAM and stole another 1gb then you probably just made it worse. Since your memory isnt running in dual channel mode anymore and 4gb is all you need. upgrading from 4 to 5 doesnt really make a difference.
    This 100%. The extra 1GB stick that you've added increased RAM capacity beyond useful while destroying your dual channel setup. Get that extra 1GB stick out (unless it's dual 512MB sticks that you found somewhere).

I'm confused as to how a higher resolution (1920x1080) and a better cable (HDMI) can look worse.

Quote Originally Posted by hazzerdus,8722882
    If I'm using the dvi extension out of the vidcard into the VGA on the TV is that still bad?
    It's still a VGA cable and a VGA input, and therefore still bad quality.

Alright ill try the HDMI cable again when I'm home. Is 1080p the same as 1920x1080?

Deleted
    Yeah.

Idk if this will show up as it is to me, but im now home, im connected via hdmi cable, and im in 1920x1080 res. And it looks awful compared to before. I also took out the extra 1gb of ram.

Erm, don't really see what difference the cable is going to make. He wouldn't be able to watch bluray over the VGA cable. Nothing else should really change.