Question Best Leveling/Raiding Spec for Cataclysm

I just got to wondering what spec I should go when Cataclysm releases. I figured I would ask other people their opinions first. So, that being said, what WARLOCK spec for you suggest for leveling/raiding in Cataclysm based on the changes made to the game so far? Please post your opinion and why. Personally I was thinking Demonology for leveling, but I have no clue as far as raiding. Thanks

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    it is in the beta, but ive been a demo lock when demo sucked. I've always been a demo lock and thats how it stays. Liking the new demo talents, esp Hand of Guldan and cooldown decrease on meta. More demon form procs, woohoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just stick with the spec you enjoy the most. If you love it, you'll put the effort in and make it work for you.

Of course everything can change come release, but as of right now pn beta leveling as affliction seems far easier and faster. Demo is too slow in my expirience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumpet View Post
    Just stick with the spec you enjoy the most. If you love it, you'll put the effort in and make it work for you.
    This, in the end if you enjoy a certain play style, you pay your subscription, so play your character how you want.
    :3

After every expansion I make a point of trying ALL 3 specs until I get a good feel for all the changes and how they play.

I'd recommend doing that.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bpl0807 View Post
    I just got to wondering what spec I should go when Cataclysm releases. I figured I would ask other people their opinions first. So, that being said, what WARLOCK spec for you suggest for leveling/raiding in Cataclysm based on the changes made to the game so far? Please post your opinion and why. Personally I was thinking Demonology for leveling, but I have no clue as far as raiding. Thanks
    In terms of levelling, I can't see affliction not being the best spec, either with gear or without. With gear we can use a single corruption to kill things indefinately and without gear you could use corr+CoA with maybe a shadowflame at the end. In terms of raiding, it's still too early to tell as all our trees have good pve potential, it really comes down to the numbers. However if I were to guess, I would say that dots scaling with crit/haste now will make affliction scale very well and it'd be my bet.

oh and to answer you question , in my opinion , Affliction is by far and away the fastest easist way to lvl, i dont care if anyone thinks different. i have played my warlock since the birth of WoW and run with every spec in 100's of combinations. Afflcition for lvling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody has even a faint idea what Cataclysm will be like for locks. Not even those in Beta because things get changed with every patch. Why on earth would you ask what the best leveling spec will be??? Right now it's Affli, in Cata maybe it will be Destro. Who the hell knows... And /lol at the best raiding spec part...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

"Beta is Beta" - despite the claims by some, that is not stated often enough since it still does not get through.
    Things can and as demonstrated are very prone to change still.
    A lot of things are still very much up in the air, and this is likely the first of many balance or number changes so such a question cannot be answered for some time with any certainty if ever.
    A spec you enjoy playing will do you more good than a more efficient one you do not.
    Finding something boring will actually make you perform worse, and slow you down more than any efficiency would have gained.

I know the same can well apply to the shadowflame change, but from experience of blizzard's stance on warlocks, and the fuss kicked up over shadowflame then I am not confident in it returning to anything potentially as useful as that again.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2010-09-01 at 01:44 PM.

I am not a lock but... affliction for leveling. Run around and DoT everything up till they die.

Deleted
    It doesnt really matter what they change around in the beta. As long as siphon life is a talent it'll always be affliction for leveling. Also if you do not enjoy running around dotting mobs up, go play a pansy mage!

Affliction is sick right now for grinding.

All three wl specs have always been quite good for leveling, all with their pros and cons. Demo is obvious, destro has sick burst and affli is awesome for dot/fear/draintanking.
    So it depends a lot on your playstyle. Demo if you want to have brainfree pet and nuke action, destro if you are good at pulling single mobs and want to kill them fast one after another and affli if you like to tab through mobs like mad, doting everything up and trying to stay alive with half the map aggro on you.

I'm probably going to play affliction considering I levelled as that in the first place and it rules for levelling. But I'll probably try out all of them for the sake of new spells/talents.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im def goin with demo. Esp with the impending doom talent, more demon forms baby! And im liking the idea of hand of guldan, the 10% crit chance for ur demon isnt great, liked the dot better, but imsure it will get changed again. Im also liking the increased guardian duration for demo and the mastery gives our demons and guardians more damage so our infernals and doomguards with our felguard is goin to be insane in decimation phase with demon form ready to use. Also the new felguard skills r looking nice, for aoe and on boss fights.