Thread: Why not [Stop]?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    I can see this being something Blizzard would consider. It definitely has the "cool" factor they seem to be going for.

HOWEVER.

I think it would be cool (just me) to have the [Stop] have the player pick up exactly where he left off. In other words, if you Stop that priest in mid-cast of a heal, when the stop ends, his cast starts up right where it left off. I think that would give it an interesting give and take, like the fact that sheeps heal the target (or used to anyway).

I think Stop would make an awesome addition to an Arcane mage's arsenal, but it would have to be made a deep Arcane talent, because it would give Frost mages far too much control.

I'd also like to add that I think it would be cool if they gave their Bloodlust ability a similarly inspired name, like Warp Time or Speed Time. That way it makes sense, the mage is speeding up time to speed up party members'm haste.
    They're calling it Time Warp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    Arcane mages are the masters of the arcane, and hence time.
    Blue dragons are the masters of the arcane, and yet they hold no power of time, that's the bronze drake turf.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    I suggested this to the official forums but was wondering what you guys thought.

Arcane mages are the masters of the arcane, and hence time. We have skills such as [Slow] and in Cataclysm we are getting a haste-like spell that is very similar to the current shaman spells Bloodlust and Heroism. So why not a spell that stops an opponent completely? It follows RPG reasoning to have [Haste], [Slow] and [Stop], and arcane mages are the ideal candidates for such a spell.

Stop
    Instant cast
    12% of base mana_____________30 yds. range
    Causes your target to be Stopped, freezing
    them in time and making them unable to move
    or use skills for 3 sec. 1 min cooldown.

What [Stop] would be similar to:
    Aeonus's and Chrono Lord Epoch's Time Stop - a 2 sec AoE stun.
    The proc from Daggerfen Assassins' Toxic Fumes - your character freezes completely for a few seconds.

I think it has merit. Having both Slow and Stop in our arsenal would be interesting.
    its a good idea, but doing that would mean giving a mage another stop/slow spell i think they already have enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, cuz that's what Mages need, another CC. Yep.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Your mage has:
    17k HP.
    Less than 10k honored kills since Vanilla WoW.
    Not done a single rated arena game, ever.

So why exactly do you want a PvP stun again?
    This.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have enough slowing/cc abilities as it is. Having another one and I'd hate pvp even more with all the rerolls yelling "LOL I HAVE MORE CDS THAN YOU LOL RANGE STUNS SUP" over and over again. Not a big fan of that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I wasn't thinking of it from a PvP perspective, but more a completist RPG perspective. It would definitely have its uses in PvE as well. Not that such a stun would ever be implemented, but I still think it would be a cool arcane utility spell. 3 sec is really not a long time, and in Cataclysm PvP it will be even less of an issue.

Also, consider the improved polymorph spell that we are getting: [Stop] would forgo the need to sheep a target before they get stunned - and it is dispellable and can be broken through various forms of CC breakage, not to mention on taking damage, so it's really not that overpowered if used in PvP.

Thanks for the various forms of feedback; except the two people who thought it might be nice to pick at the fact that I haven't really PvPed with my mage since vanilla - a completely moot point when talking about a spell in general (hence why I put this thread in the general forums). Guess there will always be some who miss the point, with so many different approaches to anything in game.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you guys need another CC?
    So you guys can google how to play your class in between CC's?
    Last edited by Irony; 2010-09-02 at 07:50 AM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Seems like a solid idea, especially with the new class choices for old races.

/cast Stop
    /Orc Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    Blue dragons are the masters of the arcane, and yet they hold no power of time, that's the bronze drake turf.
    Technically speaking, Blue dragons are the masters of all magic. They're just more proficient with Arcane magic. They can probably pull more powerful versions of what mortal mages can in terms of time manipulation, but the Bronze dragons most likely have entirely different powers, possibly not even magical in nature, to control the flows of time.

From WowWiki: "Blue dragons are the undisputed masters of magic, their culture revolving around the study and cataloging of magic and spells, primarily but not exclusively arcane magic."

On that note, it also states that "the blue dragonflight’s belief system is scientific; they seek proof of everything, and take little on faith or word of mouth alone", which is ironic at best to me considering gathering proof about the inner workings of magic must be pretty tough.
    Last edited by MushroomBomb; 2010-09-02 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    So it's basically just a stun? I don't really think they need it.
    I suppose it's a question of whether arcane (as the other specs def. don't need it) is viable in arena/RBGs.

Also, a unique flavor on it would be to literally just stop them. Nothing ticks, no cooldowns cool down, no rage/energy/etc. gain, all that. Make it work like Cyclone, so they can't be affected by new things either. Could be interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just add Flare, Ultima, and Meteor and we're set to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.