Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Elemental Lord adam86shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire - England
    Posts
    8,357

    Lillian Voss - Another Cliché

    Anyone else find Lillian Voss an incredibly clichéd character?

    A girl raised as a soldier/weapon by her father gets betrayed and goes on a mission of vengeance with daddy issues and ridiculously silly over-the-top powers. Heck, even the whole "Noo, i'm not a monster" has been hashed to death. I dunno, she just seems to be yet another godly character thrown in the game in a blatant attempt to be 'cool' - her character just seems awfully forced and bland. Hopefully she will just bugger off

  2. #2
    I like her, to a degree. If she stays a minor character, I won't mind her. It's when overpowered archetypes come to the story forefront too quickly (Med'an, Rhonin, etc.) that bother me. If they keep a supporting role (Saurfang, Crowley, etc.) it's OK to have a character be supernaturally badass.

    She's definitely cliche, but WarCraft is, to steal from TV Tropes, a Cliche Storm. It uses pretty much every convention in the book unabashedly. It calls attention to it more than it hides it and usually tries to make it better through humor or clever writing.

  3. #3
    http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Liliana_Vess

    shes perfectly fine and has been brought up before but the people here who play magic know what shes from
    Last edited by dkiller21; 2010-09-01 at 06:55 PM.

  4. #4
    Elemental Lord adam86shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire - England
    Posts
    8,357
    Im aware shes an easter egg to Magic: The Gathering

  5. #5
    Not this shit again...

    Cliched characters in Warcraft?! No way! /rolleyes

    EDIT: Just off the top of my head, all I can think of is what's her name from the Blood anime, although I don't remember anything about her being betrayed by her dad.

    Also, Lillian going after her father occurs over the course of something like three quests, which are over by level 10. This just sounds like whining for the sake of whining.
    Last edited by loop not defined; 2010-09-01 at 07:10 PM.
    Alliance: Dwarf Hunter Sabatieni
    Horde: Troll Warrior Sabatieni, Undead Priest Reulett

  6. #6
    All things considered, she has a lot of character development for a WoW NPC. Especially for one that's involved in a lot of beginner quests.

  7. #7
    The Patient Vespene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    235
    Because Arthas isn't Darth Vader.
    Sythis - Vicious Cycle

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespene View Post
    Because Arthas isn't Darth Vader.
    Gnomes are Ewoks that had a shave, true story :P

  9. #9
    what character isn't a cliche in any game, movie, or tv show

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Gnomes are Ewoks that had a shave, true story :P
    irrational gnome hatred. this is new and exciting

  11. #11
    Brewmaster Boloney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deelishus Weenie Corporation
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespene View Post
    Because Arthas isn't Darth Vader.
    i didn't see that until now...

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord Azalu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,770
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Anyone else find Lillian Voss an incredibly clichéd character?

    A girl raised as a soldier/weapon by her father gets betrayed and goes on a mission of vengeance with daddy issues and ridiculously silly over-the-top powers. Heck, even the whole "Noo, i'm not a monster" has been hashed to death. I dunno, she just seems to be yet another godly character thrown in the game in a blatant attempt to be 'cool' - her character just seems awfully forced and bland. Hopefully she will just bugger off
    I've given up on cliches. Mostly because almost every idea has been done to death. Everything will become cliches soon enough and then cliches themselves will become cliches

  13. #13
    Bloodsail Admiral Hethalion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SWE
    Posts
    1,110
    There is nothing original about World of Warcraft. And no more QQ about Elfen Li... I mean Lillian. Damn, she should have dubble personality too.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome Ashrana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    547
    Can anyone give me more info on this character? I have tried to find more information on her but couldn't find anything. All I know is she's an important undead npc who plays a role in the starting area.
    Forget everything you know about everything.

  15. #15
    It seems to me that people are just trying their hardest to kick the forsaken in the ribs. We had to wait until freaking WotLK to get anything of real importance to the world. That trend is continuing in Cata and people take issue with it for whatever reason.

    I like Lillian. I hope that we see more of her in the future, and that she developed along a better path than some of the other more recent characters in WoW.
    In short, stop peeing in my Cheerios.

    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

  16. #16
    she's a little overpowered, but I'm tolerant with the explanation. they didn't have to make her level half the scarlet crusade to the ground. that was a tad overkill. but yea, keep her as a secondary character like saurfang and this kind of stuff is just fine.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespene View Post
    Because Arthas isn't Darth Vader.
    No he isn't?

    No kids
    Doesn't kill the love of his life
    Doesn't lose to his mentor
    Turned evil to save his people not his secret wife
    Has a dad
    Arthas doesn't see the error of his ways and die to redeem himself.


    Unless of course you where talking about the hero who turns to evil.
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer MortalWombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    It seems to me that people are just trying their hardest to kick the forsaken in the ribs. We had to wait until freaking WotLK to get anything of real importance to the world. That trend is continuing in Cata and people take issue with it for whatever reason.

    I like Lillian. I hope that we see more of her in the future, and that she developed along a better path than some of the other more recent characters in WoW.
    In short, stop peeing in my Cheerios.
    She isn't Forsaken yet from what I know. She views them as the Scourge and threatens to kill you when you go near her for the last quest.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    she's a little overpowered, but I'm tolerant with the explanation. they didn't have to make her level half the scarlet crusade to the ground. that was a tad overkill. but yea, keep her as a secondary character like saurfang and this kind of stuff is just fine.
    To be fair at their current numbers a house fire could take down half the crusade.

  20. #20
    Uh... I have no idea why this was moved to videogames. o.0

    Anyways - Have to agree that she's a bit of a cliché, but I still think she's a nice touch to the Tirisfal Glades which at the moment is one of the most boring starting areas in my opinion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •