Poll: Do they work

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Pugs, how often do they work?

Let me explain what I mean.

I downed LK on my shaman(resto) at 15% buff, kinda got bored of raiding after that and pretty much haven't played her at all since.

So nowadays I PVP across a few of my alts, and today I'm on my Disc priest (I got to 80 recently and only use for PVP) a guild member in a pug needs one healer for ICC 25 and is just starting, I jump at the chance (purely for PVP reasons) to try and get something else better than my 232 staff and quickly get invited, we move to marrowgar...

Seeing as most people's GS is around 5.4 - 5.9 (I have 5.4 with a mix of PVP/PVE gear) I'm thinking this is not going to be a fail group, but right off the bat people aren't standing correctly, next to no-one is killing spikes and after first bone storm everyone is so far spread out it doesn't take long for people to start dying.

The raid disbands quicker than you can say 'WTF YOU MORONS DOING?'

I just really can't understand how >50% of people in this pug seem to have NO CLUE what they are doing and considering we are at 30% now, this is absolutely astonishing how bad people actually are at this game and I think since it has been 30%, the more retard slackers I seem to see.
    Last edited by jobdone; 2010-09-03 at 12:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't it's about a 50/50, it depends on the people that you run with, if you know they are good, you will usually do well. But theres alot of bad people that you gotta watch for.

Deleted
    just because we have a 30% buff and marrowgar is olllld people think they can just not do the tacts when if everyone thinks like that then nobody ends up actually doing it right nd then ROFLPWN fail....

Last week we did 11/12 heroic 10 man icc completely pugged.

Pugs doing 12/12 10/25 man with some easy hcs (marrow, rot, bql) are pretty usual on sunstrider eu.

Deleted
    over the last nearly two months i managed to build up a "pug" raid that manages to kill 5 hardmodes and clear the instance on exactly one evening (3-4 hours).
    this is what makes me keep my believe in humanity xD
    edit: thats in 25man. i dont do 10m anymore as i gotta admit 10man isnt any fun anymore when you got a working 25m raid.

but overall it seems you just got very unlucky, which isnt surprising seeing as they invited you, a priest that has most probably lots of pvp gear, most probably a pvp spec AND absolutely no icc kills (or raid kills in general) so far.

the people i invited are judged by their gear first, meaning it should be either good pve gear (nothing below 232, and on average at least 240) or very good pve gear (like for example 264 neck or such). after that i look at their spec, if the talent choices make sense. if all this seems to fit i look at their kill experience. people that cleared 10man tend to do wellin 25man as well
    if all that fits, they get the invite, and if they made no stupid mistakes, they get another invite all following weeks.

tl;dr: if random raids annoy you, make your own raid, over time it will develop to a good raiding group if you invest some time in it and are able to play the "mean leader" that kicks people simply because they made "one mistake"(ye sure, they always argue it just happened this one time^^)
    Last edited by mmocd5f6a5c456; 2010-09-03 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potfur View Post
    Last week we did 11/12 heroic 10 man icc completely pugged.
    Are these actual pugs from /2 or a collection of good players/friends alts from good guilds?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you make 'em yourself, and put the effort in, yes they work fine.

I run 2-3 pugs a week to help gear my alts, (both 10 and 25) and really if you communicate properly while filling your group, and pay attention to good composition, you can't go too far wrong.

Wowheroes is a great tool, you can actually see how many times a person (or their main) has killed certain bosses, using this most people in my groups know tactics, apart from the odd person who slipps through my careful watch, thus gaining a free boost.

Also if you plan to run your own pugs, be prepared to know exactly how each fight works for each role, sometimes people need help while pugging on underplayed alts, state loot rules clearly, and be honest and fair with expectations of a group, I generally aim for 10/12 on 10man, with lootship, and rotface on heroic, and 6-7/12 on 25, with lootship on heroic.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    IDK, when pugging ICC 25 we always do H Funship sometimes morrowgar and a few others. Nothing big but pugs usually work well with 30% buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post
    tl;dr: if random raids annoy you, make your own raid
    I have tried this, and I don't know if my server is just full of bads, it was probably the most stressful thing I have ever done in wow.

And it isn't as if I'm eager to raid, I just saw a spot I could do the first 4 and get a nice weapon.
    Last edited by jobdone; 2010-09-03 at 12:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    Seeing as most people's GS is around 5.4 - 5.9 (I have 5.4 with a mix of PVP/PVE gear) I'm thinking this is not going to be a fail group
    There is where you and the rest of the GS loving world went wrong.

Are these actual pugs from /2 or a collection of good players/friends alts from good guilds?
    one friend of mine and rest randoms from trade

Its all down to the mentality they have when they start...you are all suposed to have a semi deacent GS but seeing ppl with pvp gear or ppl with no gems or enchants just makes most think "damn this is going to fail hard" and when it dose they bail.

Most of the pugs for icc 25m I have done on Sargeras do alright. 1 out of 5 groups will fail after 4/12 because people leave for no reason, no wipes, one shot all the bosses and they just leave. The rest generally get 6/12 and fail once on professor and disband.

I do steer clear of 25m pugs claiming they are going at least 8/12. Those most often fail after the first 4, if that.

Your first mistake was judging the run by Gear Score. For shame.

The main reason pugs fail is that the raid leaders do not screen people properly and accept people based on high item level gear and achieves. Determining other indicators to assess people on can be difficult, but ultimately saves a huge amount of time and stress.

Quote Originally Posted by potfur View Post
    one friend of mine and rest randoms from trade
    Might have to switch servers >_>

Yea many 25man pugs disbands after 4/12 if dbw drops ~~ Rage quits, drama, whining, ninja dc etc.

Deleted
    I guess i must be one of the few people that hasn't seen the inside of ICC, i've got 8 lvl 80's with triumph brought gear and trying to find a pug or even a guild that'll accept me to run ICC is a nightmare because of the raid times... Where i'm a family orientated person i can't get online until about 9pm (uk time) and by then, pug's have cleared quite a few bosses..

i've also only ever got to see a few of the first bosses in Ulduar and Naxx aswell when the weekly raid is there.

The reason i have so many lvl 80's is that where i find it difficult to get into pug's i just level up another char instead of sitting around and doing HC's over and over again.. Let's face it, there's only so much stuff you can buy with your emblems!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leftineus View Post
    There is where you and the rest of the GS loving world went wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgie View Post
    Your first mistake was judging the run by Gear Score. For shame.
    Look, I was one of the last people to join the raid and I didn't have time to look up each and every 25 24 persons armoury, i just had a glance at everyone's GS to see where I was at, how else am I meant to gage the gear level of the raid so quickly?
    Last edited by jobdone; 2010-09-03 at 12:54 AM.

Might have to switch servers >_>
    Amen to that... One pug wiped on marrowgar TRASH, after that I lost all faith in pugs exept those managed by a guildie who consistently go 7/12 at least (And that is good for our server)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.