Poll: Should Worgen get to quest through Silverpine?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Worgen missing their own story

Sorry if there has been a thread about this before, I couldn't find one.

So, I think we can all agree that the new Silverpine is an all around amazing zone. Personally I think it is one of the best in the game. However, lately I've been a little frustrated about the Worgen story. Basically, after the initial starting zone Worgen are shipped off to Kalimdor, where they spend their time leveling through stories that have NOTHING to do with them at all.

Meanwhile, their people are continuing the fight for Gilneas back home. As far as other Worgen questing hubs, even the very few that exist seem to be on the Eastern Kingdoms. What do you guys think of this? As a (potential) Worgen player, I really feel robbed of my storyline.

A few point that I know will be brought up:
    1) I know that certain zones were created Horde-only because of the previous imbalance. I don't necessarily have an easy fix here, but I still think the Worgen should be able to actually play their own storyline.
    2) I also know that a Worgen can technically just leave Kalimdor and level in EK, but the point is that a) Blizzard encourages you to level in Kalimdor and b), even if you do go back the majority of your story is still a Horde-only experience.

Overall, I'm just feeling that the Worgen seem to have no place in the Alliance outside of their starting zone besides a smattering of NPCs and tiny trees/towns. Where is the purpose? Are they going to become Draenei 2.0, with nothing major going on?

EDIT: To clarify, I don`t mean making it a Worgen-exclusive zone. I mean making it a contested zone where both Forsaken and Worgen are questing, fighting against each other.
    Last edited by jealouspirate; 2010-09-03 at 01:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that silverpine wasnt turned into a horde only and was always horde only right? they couldnt make it alliance only or else the undeads wouldnt have a place to go (western plaguelands would make for a lame 10-20 area).
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    You do realize that silverpine wasnt turned into a horde only and was always horde only right? they couldnt make it alliance only or else the undeads wouldnt have a place to go (western plaguelands would make for a lame 10-20 area).
    I know, I don`t mean make it Worgen-exclusive. I mean having a contested zone where both Forsaken and Worgen quest, fighting each other.

As someone with fond memories of leveling in tirisfall and then silverpine, I don't have a problem with this.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    As someone with fond memories of leveling in tirisfall and then silverpine, I don't have a problem with this.
    Me too.

werent the worgen and undead supposed to have a rival quest flow (i may have dreamed this)? it really really sucks that the worgen just tag along with the night elves the rival quest flow wouldve been so cool

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jealouspirate View Post
    As a (potential) Worgen player
    Well there's your problem

But a Worgen/Undead fighting zone would be cool

Isn't the fight already going on in WPL in Cata for the undead?

Ask the DKS, they get sent to ... Outland, wich happens before they were even released from the LK control and stay there for 10 leves before actually going to northrend wich is actually related to them.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still think they should make the Silverpine quests for Alliance side, but NOT on Silverpine, make them Worgen stay on Gilneas, and make the quests Worgen only, why? So that way it's not a legit 10-20 area like the others, and thus no one would QQ.

EDIT: Besides, after seeing those Silverpine quests, I can safely admit Forsaken are the MOST developed race in Cata, IMO. (Well, take out the new races ofc :P) And besides, Worgen crash a friggin Gunship on the Forsaken Forward Front, and then go to collect bear skins? Yea, that's sad, which is why it'd be great to see some love there. After level 20 quests go way more warlike, and besides Gilneas City is now Alliance (But doesn't work as a city for OBVIOUS reasons -.-) so they could show us how did they get it, instead of showing it to the good ol' Forsaken only.
    Last edited by JohnnyTKF; 2010-09-03 at 01:22 AM.

Meh, it happens to the best of us. I leveled as a night elf in zones like westfall. is it possible to feel more out of place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I think I understand what the OP is talking about.

Think back to BC. The two new races had tons of stuff in game about them beyond just their starting zones. True most of it was from 60-70 but there was still a lot there. They had a whole city devoted to their struggle for power. Draenai and Blood elves were all over BC

Now think about WotLK with deathnights. They were all over the place too. Once again it is true that you only saw that once you got to Northrend but once you were there deathknights was the name of the game with arthas being the main baddy.

Now look at Cata there are two new races that really don't have much about them once you get out of the starting areas. Sure those starting areas are cool but they receive very little else along the way up to 85. I'm not in beta so someone let me know if this is there already or not, but I would love to see Duskwood devoted to unraveling the Scythe of Elune business or maybe Booty Bay could become a hotbed for tension between the Goblins that go Horde and the ones that decide to remain neutral.

I don't think an entire zone (besides their starting zones) should be dedicated to the cause but there should definitely be more to the story lines of these two races so that they feel more vested in their world... of warcraft.
    Last edited by Orso; 2010-09-03 at 01:22 AM.

a) No, because Horde already had fewer low level faction-controlled zones to quest in to start with.

b) No, because Worgen lose and doing a zone's worth of questing just to watch your Commander surrender for his own purposes makes your efforts feel pointless and wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    a) No, because Horde already had fewer low level faction-controlled zones to quest in to start with.

b) No, because Worgen lose and doing a zone's worth of questing just to watch your Commander surrender for his own purposes makes your efforts feel pointless and wasted.
    a) I recognize this as an issue. Perhaps there is a way around it, I`m not sure. Level of a zone is completely arbitrary of course. That being said, I think the Worgen missing out on a huge chunk of their own plot is an important enough issue to do something about it. Not to mention, if we`re talking faction balance, that the Goblins get a whole 12-20 zone devoted to continuing their story while the Worgen don`t.

b) It`d still be worth it, in my opinion. The zone would have to be reworked to accomodate Worgen questing anyway, so perhaps the ending could be a bit more... open ended?

I don`t know. You make good points, and I don`t have all the answers, I still just think it`s both a shame and bad game design for Worgen to play the Night Elves` story instead of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Thunder View Post
    werent the worgen and undead supposed to have a rival quest flow (i may have dreamed this)? it really really sucks that the worgen just tag along with the night elves the rival quest flow wouldve been so cool
    I'm pretty sure you dreamed it. I know a few players were speculating that Worgen would level in the same zones the Forsaken did, but I don't think Blizzard said anything to indicate that.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Deleted
    I'm gonna say no for one reason.

U say that "I'm just feeling that the Worgen seem to have no place in the Alliance outside of their starting zone" and that is exactly why they HAVE to go to another area. They are being taken in by the night elves and taken care of. So they should feel "welcome" in the alliance, a bit like the blood elves had that quest to go and meet thrall to get acceptance from the horde.

After they have been welcomed with a hug from the alliance they can start going to war with the forsaken. But they need the hug first!

I'm not in the beta so it may have changed, but I was under the impression there was still more quests before the boat trip that haven't been added yet. I could be wrong however.

I voted yes, but only based on what I heard on the wow.com podcast today. The Dranei obviously aren't integrated very well. Hopefully the Worgen are done better, given their interwoven history throughout EK.

The Worgen need to be integrated into the Kalimdor quests so that it makes sense for them to be there. Otherwise, they really need to flow through Duskwood and SV.

I do feel like Worgen need a little bit more in Darnassus given that the Goblins basically get their own town in Ashara.

Quote Originally Posted by jealouspirate View Post
    a) I recognize this as an issue. Perhaps there is a way around it, I`m not sure. Level of a zone is completely arbitrary of course. That being said, I think the Worgen missing out on a huge chunk of their own plot is an important enough issue to do something about it. Not to mention, if we`re talking faction balance, that the Goblins get a whole 12-20 zone devoted to continuing their story while the Worgen don`t.
    Unfortunately it's simply not viable with the way things are structured. Level 20 and under zones are faction specific, eg: Westfall, Loch Modan, Silverpine, and Ghostlands.
    Silverpine can't be made contested because that would alter the player experience for Forsaken and Worgen compared to the rest of the population. This would be especially noticeable on PvP realms where it opens them up for ganking a whole zone (10 levels worth) earlier.

Alternatively, Silverpine could be level adjusted, but that just opens a whole host of problems because it would throw off the entire leveling flow that they're trying to establish where you move through adjacent zones via bread crumb quests.
    If Silverpine is no longer 10-20, what would it be? How would it fit back into the rest of the zone flow without creating a dead end?
    What would be the new 10-20? Western Plaguelands? (Bye-bye two-sided Andorhal questline)
    And where would you go after that?
    They'd have to destroy Chillwind Camp and make small questing hubs through Alterac to get you to Hillsbrad, which is a bit of a trip from WPL.

It certainly is unfortunate but there's no easy solution to integrate it. I feel your pain, I don't want to have to quest with Night Elves either.
    Last edited by Rukari; 2010-09-03 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Unfortunately it's simply not viable with the way things are structured. Level 20 and under zones are faction specific, eg: Westfall, Loch Modan, Silverpine, and Ghostlands.
    Silverpine can't be made contested because that would alter the player experience for Forsaken and Worgen compared to the rest of the population. This would be especially noticeable on PvP realms where it opens them up for ganking a whole zone (10 levels worth) earlier.

Alternatively, Silverpine could be level adjusted, but that just opens a whole host of problems because it would throw off the entire leveling flow that they're trying to establish where you move through adjacent zones via bread crumb quests.
    If Silverpine is no longer 10-20, what would it be? How would it fit back into the rest of the zone flow without creating a dead end?
    What would be the new 10-20? Western Plaguelands?
    And where would you go after that?
    They'd have to destroy Chillwind Camp so that you could go through Alterac to Hillsbrad.

It certainly is unfortunate but there's no easy solution to integrate it.
    Yeah, I definitely get what you`re saying. I really don`t disagree with what you`re saying at all. The game is far too along in development for my concerns to be reasonably addressed. Even so, I`m just dissapointed that the Worgen don`t get to see their own story. I think it`s bad from a design standpoint, and it seems like Blizzard doesn`t have an idea of where they want to take the Worgen storyline. Leaving Gilneas, what motivation do Worgen players have to quest through Darkshore and Ashenvale? It just seems weird.

You`re right, and I don`t necessarily see a good solution. I just think it`s bad the way it is.