Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Can you still AOE grind?

I was watching a level 82+ moonkin questing and single non-elite mobs were hitting like a truck and took almost half of her HP each time, and moonkins even have loads of armor. I love doing grind quests with style by pulling 10+ mobs at once with classes that were good in it, like affli lock, shadow priest, retri pala and tank specs ofc. It seems like it's not longer possible after lvl 65, except for maybe tanks with good avoidance?

It will be an annoyance, but I like the change. If you and 10 other guys got in a fight IRL, who would win? A bad example, but it gets my point across.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pace yourself and you'll be fine. If you're going to want to pull 10 mobs at a time, you're going to have to either heal all the way to 100% because you'll be so low, or you'll be corpse chasing.

For my 82 Warrior, killing regular quest mobs (1 on 1, I wouldn't dare try mobbing) in Deepholme takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds, depending on procs.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

point went bad when trying to compaire a game with reality :P but yea the damage they do atm is nuts. 2 mobs can kill you.but 3 is death for some classes.unless you have some really good gear in the start.

I pull 4-5 mobs on my ret pally, I kill them easily. 6-7 if they're undead, Holy Wrath ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithrowmagicz View Post
    I pull 4-5 mobs on my ret pally, I kill them easily. 6-7 if they're undead, Holy Wrath ftw.
    Where are you finding groups of undead in Cataclysm beta?

From Deepholm on, the mobs hit too hard to fight more than one or two at a time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks. So it seems its not completely impossible after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldam View Post
    It will be an annoyance, but I like the change. If you and 10 other guys got in a fight IRL, who would win? A bad example, but it gets my point across.
    Those 10 guys irl aren't heroes who fought and killed the lich king and they probably don't cast super powerful spells either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Those 10 guys irl aren't heroes who fought and killed the lich king and they probably don't cast super powerful spells either.
    weren't there 25 of you when you did that though? so it kinda scales down :P

either way, I think I could beat the crap out of an arcane mage IRL.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

Well.. actually.. from a mage perspective.. while you CAN make some AoE pulls.. it'll take most of your resources to complete it.. mostly because their health is so high.. and even with the last patch's 33% increase to Blizzard.. it's not enough to burn them down before they overwhlem you.. so I have to Frost Nova, Blink.. Blizzard.. PEt's Freeze, Blink, Blizzard, Frost Nova Blink... by the time I've done it.. mana is mostly gone, I probably took enough damage to warrant eating.. yada yada... So it's just not time effective to make an effort to AoE Grind.

And to be clear. I am QUITE adept at AoE farming on Live. The AoE damage is too low, snaring too low and their damage too high. It only gets worse as you level... as mobs get up to 77.5k health on average in Twilight Highlands...

In fact.. I think AoE overall is a waste of time in Beta thus far...

Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOut View Post
    weren't there 25 of you when you did that though? so it kinda scales down :P

either way, I think I could beat the crap out of an arcane mage IRL.
    Took 25 of us to beat him. Would take thousands upon thousands of trash mobs to do it.

I know I can't as level 83 moonkin. I was in Deepholm yesterday and forgot they increased the range of Starfall, so I popped it when I had two mobs and three more came running. I had full hp when I started, used Barkskin and everything, but they really hit like trucks, even tho I have 49k hp and 16k armor.
    I've died so many times cause I pulled too many mobs. Now I take 1-2. If I get more I root or cyclone them.
    But Hurricane got buffed too so might be able to AoE 3 mobs down before I die :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Thanks. So it seems its not completely impossible after all.
    It really is, to be honest. You can't pull more than 1-2 mobs at a time (speaking from a ret pally POV, so I'm quite durable already) or you die.

Awesome. Looks like being a tank while questing might be worth something now.

As a lvl 82 fire mage, 1 mob at a time is challenging if it has a charge or leap attack, usually get to 30%-50%hp or less if it gets a chance to hit me.
    BUT...

in deepholm there is a questhub (multiple hubs kinda) where troggs are attacking earthen, and usually we're talking packs of 8-10+. With earthen holding initial aggro, and the insane amount of Fire AoE, it's very possible to take down 10mobs x 7900xp each, without even having to eat/drink after the first one or 2.

Targetable Blastwave that also puts down a flamestrike + flame orb(explosion at end) + dragon's breath + living bomb on all 10 targets (being copied by using impact, including any ignites that were also copied) + frost nova + blastwave again = a lot of dead mobs.

Be careful though, smallest mistake = dead, and dead = stupid slow bugged ghost gryphon. Luckily, the area has graveyards close by the quest givers.

As a lvl 82 Blood DK in tank gear, questing in Hyjal / Vash'jir almost seemed boring because I kept doing single pulls and never dropped below 95% hp because death strike + mastery bonus = insane, heals for around 8-9k every death strike, and I was testing out +mastery gear, (which seems a lot better for blood dk's than fire mages) so the mastery bonus was around 115% of the death strike heal as a shield. The times where I was doing group pulls(3-5mobs) it did get more interesting, but still overall not a problem(deepholm was pretty much unreachable when i was playing dk).
    Last edited by Plagued00; 2010-09-03 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added DK info

Deleted
    You will probably be able to aoe grind again at 85 once you start getting better gear for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Medlarew View Post
    You will probably be able to aoe grind again at 85 once you start getting better gear for it.
    I'm pretty sure they are talking about grinding while leveling.. Once you hit 85, I doubt anyone is going to go out and aoe grind.

OT: All I know is my dumbass is going out on my prot pally and grabbing 5 mobs from a new zone when Cata ships, just to see how badly I get pwned, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    Chuck Norris.
    I wish I could rank this down.

I hope the aoe grinding is eliminated or reduced. I loved instances in TBC, but hated the instances in LK because they were really boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap. 80 k hp / mob? That's like an elite in northrend, lol.

are all guys that lvls aoe grinding through? :O i'm always single targeting :P (sos for bad english)