Poll: Read post

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheetos View Post
    I lol'd. No but seriously there's no hard class to play really.
    I doubt they meant for there to be a hard class to play.

If you mean something like "there's no hard to master", then I starkly disagree with you. In my view, some classes (and specs) are harder to become great at than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock View Post
    i never said "a ret beat me one on one therefor they are OP" no idea where ur getting that from.
    my point was that rets dont have gd synergy with other classes in arena, hence why they arn't in the top 100. Blizz have already said that because a spec isn't in the top 100 doesnt necessarily mean it needs buffing.

someones goona bring it up so it mightaswell be me http://www.youtube.com/user/johnsju#.../0/XhtxdmjUOQM
    Ok what are we arguing about then? It seems like we share the same opinion? Ret is pretty weak against 50-60% other classes 1v1 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsdott View Post
    While on its own, ret might not be some kind of juggernaut, pair it with any kind of cc and you have yourself a truck. Hard hitting one.

Myself, I claim them to be op for a single reason. In every duel against any other similar dps spec (arms, unholy, you name it), ret seems to demolish their opponents. I know that 1v1 isn't a way to measure class utility but if one class constantly keeps on steamrolling other similar specs, then I feel free to call it op.
    Good God, another one.... what has cc have to do with anything? "Pair it with cc and you have a hard hitting truck"? What is this I don't even... How does having a partner with cc increase your damage?

Please wake up and smell the roses. Ret's damage is NOT ABOVE any of the other melees. It's burst is LESS THAN the other melees. They have no MS. They have no gap closer. Casters eat us alive. Most melees with a healer win against a ret with a healer. And I am saying this after having played ret pvp, unlike you.

And fyi, while rets have decent chances against arms (i'd say 60-40 at relentless level gear and 50-50 at wrathful), if a UH dk is getting steamrolled by a ret multiple times, that dk has his hands growing out of his ass.

Gah why do I even bother... To sleepy to argue with idiots.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramboxmb View Post
    Because ret is a mindless spec. Well paladin in general dont require much skills. Hopefully its gonna change in cata.
    I must agree with this. My main is a Protection/Retribution Paladin. And even though it is by far my favorite class, playing one (Particularly Retribution) is completely brain dead. A lot of people will attempt to defend Retribution because "It uses more buttons than most classes!" and while this is true, it doesn't make the spec any less mindless. The problem with Paladins at the moment, is that we have no real rotation. While it's true that was have a "priority" system of sorts, but in the end all it comes down to his hitting whatever spell isn't on cool down. There are of course optimal spells to cast of course, but as long as you cast something, anything, you will do decent damage. For instance, I recently read a story about a paladin who had no idea what he was doing, yes he still managed to pull 7K DPS in ICC 25. Can you think of any other classes that can pull that kind of damage while using a poor rotation/priority? I certainly can not.
    “Where books are burned in the end people will burn.”
    -Heinrich Heine

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    Ret's damage is NOT ABOVE any of the other melees. It's burst is LESS THAN the other melees. They have no MS. They have no gap closer. Casters eat us alive. Most melees with a healer win against a ret with a healer. And I am saying this after having played ret pvp, unlike you.

And fyi, while rets have decent chances against arms (i'd say 60-40 at relentless level gear and 50-50 at wrathful), if a UH dk is getting steamrolled by a ret multiple times, that dk has his hands growing out of his ass.

Gah why do I even bother... To sleepy to argue with idiots.
    Pretty much agreed on everything and I don't even/have never played Ret in PvP. Only thing I disagree on is that all other melee classes have more damage/burst. Feral damage/burst is still a bit lower then Ret damage/burst is tbh, though we got some more tools and ofcourse, Cyclone.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    OKAY ENOUGH!
    All specs currently in this game are 'easy' and 'hard' to play.
    With the current gear, everyone can do good numbers, and hurt in BGs.
    But to become AMAZING in both, you need to master your class, making it 'hard' to play.

Agree?

-Patrickstarr, Lord of the Murlocs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Lord View Post
    I must agree with this. My main is a Protection/Retribution Paladin. And even though it is by far my favorite class, playing one (Particularly Retribution) is completely brain dead. A lot of people will attempt to defend Retribution because "It uses more buttons than most classes!" and while this is true, it doesn't make the spec any less mindless. The problem with Paladins at the moment, is that we have no real rotation. While it's true that was have a "priority" system of sorts, but in the end all it comes down to his hitting whatever spell isn't on cool down. There are of course optimal spells to cast of course, but as long as you cast something, anything, you will do decent damage. For instance, I recently read a story about a paladin who had no idea what he was doing, yes he still managed to pull 7K DPS in ICC 25. Can you think of any other classes that can pull that kind of damage while using a poor rotation/priority? I certainly can not.
    I thought the topic of discussion was ret being supposedly "too powerful"? Why are we talking about rotations and how hard/easy it is to play?

Not that I consider that argument valid either. I have a prot/ret pala, a destro lock and a fury/prot warrior. The latter two aren't really harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Balduvian View Post
    Pretty much agreed on everything and I don't even/have never played Ret in PvP. Only thing I disagree on is that all other melee classes have more damage/burst. Feral damage/burst is still a bit lower then Ret damage/burst is tbh, though we got some more tools and ofcourse, Cyclone.
    I maybe generalising a bit out of anger I guess. Ferals are one of the few specs I know little about. But ret burst is lolish atm. Even when I outgear my opponents it's hard to achieve what dks and arms warriors and most casters can.
    Last edited by zealous; 2010-09-04 at 01:28 AM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    Since season 6 if you moan about rets or get owned by rets you're terribad. /thread.

Tbh, I think it's time we got another nerf. I killed a resto druid in heirlooms today in WSG. I mean he never even had a chance. I used judgment of justice on him so he couldn't run away in travel form and I just proceeded to kill him with my bryntroll while running at an overpowered speed of 115%. That is just freaking ridiculous! How do you fight against that?

Is that the sound of a nerf hammer whistling through the night air that I hear?
    Uh... so are you trying to say the nerfs receieved previously because of s5/6 paladins weren't warranted?

Does it matter if they overrate them or not? I see similar threads every day asking the same thing-.-

Quote Originally Posted by Sebbah View Post
    try playing an ehancement shaman and then come here and post again
    I have. And he is right. Feral druids are probably the only "hard" class to play

Ok what are we arguing about then? It seems like we share the same opinion? Ret is pretty weak against 50-60% other classes 1v1 too.
    my point was that rets have a low skill curve and require no skill to play

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the topic of discussion was ret being supposedly "too powerful"? Why are we talking about rotations and how hard/easy it is to play?

Not that I consider that argument valid either. I have a prot/ret pala, a destro lock and a fury/prot warrior. The latter two aren't really harder.
    The question posed by the OP is, "Why do people overrate ret?" not, "Do people overrate ret?". Someone on the first page comment this was the case because Retribution is a mindless spec to play. I agreed with him and posted my reasons why.
    “Where books are burned in the end people will burn.”
    -Heinrich Heine

Like the blizzard posters have said the problem with ret is the "One Man Army" feel to it if you are fighting against one. In arena its balanced, hell ret is probably at a disadvantage in there because our tools besides dps are on fairly long cooldowns. In a BG situation where you only meet said ret pally every 3-5 mins he gets to stun you, blow you up, and if you even think of trying to fight against him his cooldowns will nullify yours.

And yes I play a ret pally and have been raeped by some in bgs/world pvp on some of my alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Daladiesman View Post
    if you think that you need skill to play any dps warrior spec,then you suck really hard.(same with hunter,rogue,mage,destro,dk)
    By your logic, no melee take skill to play but Ret. How much sense does THAT make? None.
    People say Ret is skilless because it's "Hit the non-CD button and win", and because they have a low skill-curve and are incredibly easy to pick up and play. It is. No seriously. It is. If you're denying that, you're a good enough liar to fool yourself, which takes more skill than playing Ret in PvE or PvP in WotLK.
    Last edited by Minky; 2010-09-04 at 01:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilec View Post
    The answer is that Retribution Paladins are absolutely incredible against players with little skill and/or game knowledge, poor gear and poor (likely pve) specs. This is the majority of a random battleground more times than not. These players will see a ret, die to it in the span of a few globals, (just like they would against any other half decently geared player of another class/spec) but it sticks out because ret is disco spec. Flashy lights, flashy animations, along with the players that hold tight to complaining about how they got mowed down by a 3.0 ret and won't let that go, even if that ret is long gone. The one thing you can always count on is that bad players will always blame something else, and most of the time it's either that their class is underpowered or the guy who killed them is overpowered.
    THIS. SO MUCH.
    I mean, paladins are a popular class and -always- have been. Playing the role of shining knight, defender of the realm, is just an appealing role in an RPG to a lot of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rets make me mad as a hunter. When I'm mad I exaggerate. *nods*

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

Because Retribution was - to a greater degree before 2.3, to a slightly smaller but still major degree after 2.3 - a very underwhelming spec. Most people used to consider them free kills or at best neglegible nuisances in PvP (yes, I'm sure many people will deny this because "RET FFFFUUUUU", but that was actually the situation at the time). Thus, when Blizzard buffed them through the roof in 3.0, everyone was nerdraging at the notion that this previously inferior spec now was so strong (yes, overpowered even), and this mentality sort of just stuck through subsequent nerfs.

I hope Cataclysm gets it right and balanced, because as Ret I've basically gone from "lol fucking go healer your spec doesnt work" to "lol you say you got buffed but I own your face" to "OMFG RET SO EZMODE THERE ALL FOTM REROLLERS GO DIE IN A FIRE".
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

Good God, another one.... what has cc have to do with anything? "Pair it with cc and you have a hard hitting truck"? What is this I don't even... How does having a partner with cc increase your damage?
    CC does affect your damage because if you can catch it = you can whack at it. Simple, no?

And basically what Pie Lord and Minky both said. From my experience, ret is incredibly easy to play and doesn't take a lot to perform fairly good. Blizzard themselves stated that current ret gameplay is very forgiving and their goal in Cataclysm is to make it more complicated and capable of punishing if you hit wrong button. Plus, also from my experience, ret dishes massive damage to other classes and has some rigged tools for that purpose.

So yeah, I overrate it.

credits: Supernerd

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Patch 3.0. Good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by hammock View Post
    warrior.

ret is a faceroll spec with a very low skill curve.
    I lol'd

hard