Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Thumbs down

this is even worse idea than enhancment shaman tank.... not going to happen!

First of all, locks have been thinking about tanking ever since they were using leather armour in the original vanilla beta.
    (On a site note, I chose a lock way back then because they were all about survival and so soloing stuff )

Now about the idea surfacing again - it's only a few things that need to happen. All you nay sayers are arguing wrath reasons why locks won't be able to tank, come cataclysm.

"With only 55% armour, locks will need way to much stamina and still be mana drains for healers" ---> WRONG
    In wrath, yes - in cataclysm, no. Tanks wont go down in 1-2 hits any more in cataclysm, but go there slowly, blizzard stated so themselves. Combine this with the new version of drain life that gives 5% of the locks FULL hp per tick, the lock will have a self-healing that will be beyond even DK's while draining. Also, with the new talent tree's you can get demon form and still reach 2/2 in soul siphon and siphon life for the extra healing. (AoE tanking after spreading corr to all the mobs with seed of corr anyone?) Oh, and use the demon armour instead of fel armour - 20% more healing received.

"Locks don't have panic buttons" ---> WRONG

There's the shield from the VW, the VW can grap loose mobs, and the death coil as possible panic buttons. Fear/howl of terror is also an option. Put bane of doom on mobs that have been cc'ed - you are sure to have agro for sometime on that mob when it's pulled out of the cc. Also, new mobs joining the fight can be directed to your VW with the new Demon soul spell. Aura of Foreboding can also stun all the mobs around you while they still take dmg. We can use the portal as a way to reach mobs running towards other group members and combine it with Inferno that can be channelled while moving from the new inferno tallent.

"we can't use spells due to pushbacks" ---> WRONG... sort of

I would gem for haste and stamina as a lock tank, combine this with the new Dark intent that gives 3% haste, and it would probably still be possible to get spells of in a good time with the passive reduction to spell push-back that is coming in cataclysm. And drain life would probably give two of the 3 ticks per cast while tanking 1-3 mobs.

That's all I have time to comment right now, but I just want to state that tanking as a lock in cataclysm would only require minor changes, since it is in fact a completely different experience than tanking in wrath.

We are what we always were, ranged tanks. We have talents and abilitys that allow us to tank some specific bosses, not more, not less.

Making us a permanent tank through the use of a glyph is just bad. If you want to tank all the time roll a tanking class.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Innor, The drain life is in beta atm and from the QQ about it, there's no guarantee it'll stay at 5%. However, assuming demo becomes a tank spec, with masses of stam, do you really think blizzard would be fine with DL being 5% per second without haste? That'd get nerfed quicker than 3.0 conflag. Simply due to it being all we'd ever want to use, as it'd be decent damage, but way too much healing, which would give us threat. They specifically put a -50% threat modifier on all paladin healing spells due to this possibility. I'd wager demon armor would also be brought into line with other tank healing modifiers (think 6% extra instead of 20%).

Locks that want to stack stam and actually tank would not have the required set of panic buttons. DC would heal for what, 10-15% of max health? Look back at pally tanks, they have the option of either LoH or Divine Protection (-50% damage taken for 12 secs), yet the use of LoH on themselves is very rare. Simply put, a heal is one of the worst possible EH cd, because it's only in effect for a hit or two, but a -% damage or max health boost stays around for many more hits/abilities. The same goes for VW shield, which is basically a single trinket cd for a proper tank. You go on to talk about stuns, however they would only work in a heroic environment and blizzard does not, nor should it ever, balance around heroics rather than in a raid environment.

If we have to gem haste/stam, then we would fall behind other tanks that can simply gem stam. Plus when we're casting, avoidance is nullified. However no one has really said that casting spells wouldn't be possible, so I'm wondering where you got your third point from.

Now, I am open to the possibility that there may be some combination of talent, itemisation and general mechanic changes that would enable demo to tank as well as the current tank specs. However your points are firstly invalid and secondly nowhere near comprehensive enough to provide an accurate picture of what those changes would have to be.

I think a good glyph will be to reduce its cooldown by a minute or extending the duration of the current meta glyph.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the idea of making Meta permanent. It would take away most of it's cool/unique/intimidating effect when we see 100 newbs running around Org/SW as demons.

Just like how Druid Bears/Cats aren't really different/cool because they're permanent. You see one and go, yep, another Druid. If they weren't permanent they'd have a much cooler feel to them.

If you see a Meta though, you go, cool! That Lock is going to get totally owned in PvP, but at least he'll look bad ass as he's getting his ass handed to him!
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama