Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You dont seem addicted, however I suggest that you occasionally don't play wow for those 4 hours and find something else to do. WoW is a game with a lot of unnecessary time filler. Forego that filler if you can. Work out, read a book etc. You will feel more productive and will be glad you managed to do something of value in real life rather than making a few extra gold, or gaining a few thousand rep. Sure you might raid/PvP, but rarely will that take up the 28 hrs you have alloted per week to WoW. Skip running around Ironforge. A good method is to set your hearth in some obscure area of Wow. Like Silithus or Ungoro. Perhaps winterspring. You are less likely to spend time doing things you don't need to do if they become harder or more annoying to get to.

Good Luck and Enjoy both playing... and avoiding Wow.

Sprouts,

He has already had the entire day to do stuff productive due to his working 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. So I don't see any problem with playing those four hours every night while his wife studies for class.

Quote Originally Posted by Vail View Post
    Considering some people play this game for days on end I say you're doing pretty good.
    4 hours for a game you really like isn't that bad, as long as it's not interfering with your life and relationships then whats the harm?
    This.

---------- Post added 2010-09-04 at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
    WoW is a game with a lot of unnecessary time filler. Forego that filler if you can. Work out, read a book etc.
    How is reading a book productive? It enhances your life about as much as playing a game/watching tv.

Quote Originally Posted by taybox View Post
    So here is my deal. I been playing since 2004. I started raiding during Molten Core. I remember my first piece of tier 3 on my hunter. In 04', I was in college. College was easy, I went out and partied, and played tons of wow. I got married when I was 20 years old. My wife, who Ive known since I was in 5th grade, knew I had always been a gamer. I guess she never understood how gamers are though.

When we got married, we obcviously had no kids. My job is a little out of the ordinary. I work 14 days straight, with no wow, then i get to be home 14 days straight. So as you can imagine, during the day me and my wife could do whatever we wanted.

My wow habit got pretty bad for a while and I was forced to quit. It was much needed. It was all that I did during the day and night. I was always in a fowl mood. Anyway, that was a few years ago.

As of now, Weve been married 5 years, and have 2 kids. The kiddies go to sleep around 8:00pm every night, and she is busy with online schooling to become a teacher every night. I pretty much put them to bed and everythign and let her get a head strat on school. we finally made an agreement, that after I get the kids to bed, and she starts doing school, that i could play wow again.

My rules pretty much, like i said, I do not play AT ALL during the day. Unless the kids are napping and i catch like an hour break. other than that I only play after i get the kids to bed at night. Then I normally play from around 8pm-12am which is around 4 hours a day. I wonder if im playing too much? it kinda scares me. but I am with her and my kids from 7am-8pm when they wake up and go to sleep.

i do the yard, go to the grocery store with her, play with the kids, go to football games with them...

I just think that WoW can be a hobby, just like say golf is. I know guys who go out during the day and golf for 4-5 hours at a time. And i really cant see the difference in it. Sorry for the long post.
    It's your hobby. You have a solid setup. It will change when she graduates and gets her teaching job, but you'll adjust as you seem to always be able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    what would you call addiction? i Play A lot due to not having anything else to do, at what point would you call it bad?
    When something comes up for you to do, go out with mates/cinema or w.e do you turn them down so you can stay in and play wow. if so you sir have a problem.

As long your kids/wife/work comes first in Priority then Wow you are doing just fine.

I know guys who go out during the day and golf for 4-5 hours at a time.
    4-5 hours of golf is like 18 holes so like one round.

Seems to me you've had no problem prioritizing the more important elements of your life first, which basically means you can't be an addict. Nothing wrong with enjoying your hobby.

You're not addicted, don't worry.
    Never look into the eyes of a horse.
    Your soul will forever be lost in the void of a horse.

Cool

My rules pretty much, like i said, I do not play AT ALL during the day. Unless the kids are napping and i catch like an hour break. other than that I only play after i get the kids to bed at night. Then I normally play from around 8pm-12am which is around 4 hours a day. I wonder if im playing too much? it kinda scares me. but I am with her and my kids from 7am-8pm when they wake up and go to sleep.
    It looks normal to me especially if your wife is already doing something there is absolutely nothing wrong playing while everything else is done.

I was playing too much too and i took a 4 month break this year ( I am only on WoW since 2008). I was playing ALOT too(was lookin like what you said). And now I only play during the day when my baby is takin her 2hour nap and in the evening while my wife is doing homework (she got back to school while she is pregnant), or while she simply go to sleep at 8h30 or 9 pm since she need to get up at 5AM. So I play until 11PM 12 PM (sometime until 1 Am when Iam not working. Oh and my girl is always in th ebed ay 8PM too.

I fairly think that you should not worry if (like I said above) everyhting is done (dishes, shower, training all normal things ya know). It is like my good ending to any good days of work + chores done, and IMO I enjoy more my playtime this way (more in SC2 these days but still some wow). I am 24 with one kids another one on the way, you must be 25-26 right???

Apologize for my broken english

Deleted
    It doesn't matter how much you play, that doesn't make you addicted.
    What makes you addicted is when you put aside real life things which from what I'm reading, you're not.

I'd say you're very restrained to be honest.

4 hours a day is definitely not addictive

WoW is a hobby.

If you end up sacrificing your family life and job so you can play the game, then yeah, you're probably an addict.

If you LOOK FORWARD to sitting down and playing for a few hours... there is nothing wrong with that. If you think about what you're going to do in the game during the day... there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Some people look forward to getting into the next chapter of their book, watching the next episode of Lost, or hopping into your raid at raid time...

Nothing wrong with any of those things.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    It looks normal to me especially if your wife is already doing something there is absolutely nothing wrong playing while everything else is done.

I was playing too much too and i took a 4 month break this year ( I am only on WoW since 2008). I was playing ALOT too(was lookin like what you said). And now I only play during the day when my baby is takin her 2hour nap and in the evening while my wife is doing homework (she got back to school while she is pregnant), or while she simply go to sleep at 8h30 or 9 pm since she need to get up at 5AM. So I play until 11PM 12 PM (sometime until 1 Am when Iam not working. Oh and my girl is always in th ebed ay 8PM too.

I fairly think that you should not worry if (like I said above) everyhting is done (dishes, shower, training all normal things ya know). It is like my good ending to any good days of work + chores done, and IMO I enjoy more my playtime this way (more in SC2 these days but still some wow). I am 24 with one kids another one on the way, you must be 25-26 right???

Apologize for my broken english
    Yes I am 25 years old. I have held my current and only REAL job for over 5 years. no problems with that. and like i said, when im at work, as i am now, i dont play at all due to internet sucking. my job is on a computer alot. but i do research stuff and plan what i do when i get home.

also, yeah i always make sure things are done. yard, house cleaned, chores... i go to every single event my kid has at school, football games, "meet the cougar nights" pep rallys. I even go grocery shop[ping for goodness sakes. I dont see many other dads doing that lol.

And im sure once my wife starts teaching full time my playing habits must change. of course, when that happens, she will be at school from 7am-4pm as well as my kids. ill pretty much have 8 hours a day to do whatever i want to. and with that, i prob wont play at all at night and just hang out with them.

It is good to see the positive feedback. Its just always been something i worried about after I had the period where it was all i did... and that...was not good

@taybox

taybox,

I'm currently taking a psychology course with a focus on addictions and dependency disorders. From what I've learned and from what I've read from your post, you are absolutely 100% fine. You are no where near being addicted. Like everyone else has said, as long as WOW doesn't interfere with your real life obligations then there isn't any problem. My view point on the subject is similar to yours. "What would I being doing to relax/consume my free time if I wasn't play WOW?" The answer is probably sleeping, watching tv, or some other equally useless (but definitely less entertaining) activity.

However, if you're concerned about it then you should do something about it. Take two or three nights a week to go out to dinner or a movie with your wife. Take the kids out for ice cream after dinner. Have a board game night. It's really about finding a balance. You want to play WOW but you also want your family to be happy.

Look, you work 14 straight days and then have 14 days off. Regardless of what your wife tells you, she probably misses spending the evenings with you. Make her happy, make her feel like she is the most important thing in the world (of warcraft), and just don't be an irresponsible dickbutt – by that I mean don’t forget her birthday and don’t blow the kid’s college money on farmed gold.

Cheers mate and good luck.

Deleted
    As an aside, how come playing a video-game/computer-game is so much more worse than watching TV or reading a book (in the eyes of girl/boyfriends and parents)?

You get just as little exercise during all three, yet the gaming seems like such a worse thing to do. I haven't seen outraged parents in America going on about violent books yet they're on a constant crusade agains't violent videogames.

yes, yes I know, interactive media is different but still, the impressions are mostly the same, right?

Deleted
    4 hours a day is nowhere near ''addicted'' to WoW :P I would even say you're a casual player :P so you can rest with a lightheart mate, no addiction aspects found :P

Not bad, Doesn't sound like your addicted.
    Geeza aka Parilla