Poll: Do you want Blizzard to add Linux Support to WoW?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by buttspawn View Post
    It doesn't run "perfectly", but it does run. As stated, I have a 9800 GT and WoW runs pretty poorly on Linux. I appreciate your support, but your information is a bit..odd. WoW runs poorly on ANY machine, regardless of OS, if it has an internal graphics card. And the next 50 years? Lol. That's quite a timeline. I would be more inclined to say 10 years, or even 5 years for that matter.
    Idd, I have "overgeared" computer for that game and win 7 and still I have crap FPS in 25 man raids. Problem lies in game and mainly in proccessing data. GFX is fine, I can get 200FPS even more, but problem occurs where is a lot of other players or one group of players doing a lot of stuff (spells, fighting,...). SOme patches ago blizz put in official support for multicore proccessors and game got some FPS, but still it's not supported as it could be. So I say that they should first make 100% support for multicores and to make sure game runs smoothly on DX win machines. After they achieve that they should make support for other systems. Until than it's just waste of time. Linux is not for gaming and is rarely used by gamers. So conclusion is that is waste of time and resources to make support for linux while game has issues in other systems that are used by majority.

P.S.: and linux sux for gaming, deal with it, eat it and install a decent system for games!
    P.S.S.: I voted no just because of that, I want better 100% support for my OS first than blizz can think about other less represented systems!
    Last edited by Numeanor; 2010-09-07 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    That's funny, my computer runs WoW slower in Dal than in raids too. I wonder if it has to do with there being 10x as many people in Dal.

No. That would be reasonable. Fail logic is fail.
    Dalaran runs quicker on my computer than 25 man raids do. I assumed it was the same for everyone.

Let me put it this way then: On the same computer, running Linux I never get more than 30 FPS, running Windows 7 I never get less than 30 FPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Quote Originally Posted by Thereign View Post
    I would consider anybody using a Linux based OS to be more intelligent than your average vista user. Besides, when did Linux gain the "kids" image? I would have figured that to be fisher-price my first OS Mac OSX.
    Urgh dredge out the old arguments time and time again.

The argument about Macs being childishly simplified are tantamount to an abacus enthusiast critising a calculator for making maths too easy. Most people don't care about how complicated an operating system is. Most people want to focus on their work, be it finance, design, music, programming or the hundreds of other disciplines/interests.

An operating system is simply a base for other programs to run on. Nothing more.

PC, Mac, Linux: By all means have your preference but don't push your nonsense fanboi-propaganda onto others.

OT: I'd like Linux support for WoW. I don't use Linux but it seems a shame for those who do to miss out.

Deleted
    Blizzard doesn't need any UI development to support Linux OS natively, they "just" need have it working with X.ORG Server. That's the trivial point.
    X.org isn't really standard, since every MAJOR distributor (read: Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE, Mandriva) patches it at his will. The first three are the true kings, and they develop X server actively, but -alas- every single patch can break the support. It happens every release with graphic drivers (everytime nVidia and ATI need to catch-up).

UI libraries haven't got part in the porting since WoW has its own library, it just need -as another one pointed out already- a frame around, and that's a standard API call.

All that matters is direct rendering support (even hardware cursor is achieved through that).

By the way, Linux, in all that chaos, does have UI guidelines as well as other development lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyyrlok View Post
    X.org isn't really standard, since every MAJOR distributor (read: Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE, Mandriva) patches it at his will. The first three are the true kings, and they develop X server actively, but -alas- every single patch can break the support
    And that's the same for nearly anything with any Linux distribution.
    I won't consider it as a "regular" Operating System as long as :

Their development can be considered "unstable", it progresses as its own pace and direction with little to none concerting, for better or for worse.

The UI is NOT well-designed AT ALL. Going through it is slow and there's nothing new apart some fancy useless functionalities (depends on the UI manager). Last time I boot Ubuntu (a few months ago), I could hardly refrain from puking. Saying it's far better than windows 7 or OsX 10.6 isn't true. (Or maybe you're like those people I know who can coolly say that having 16 desktop is absolutely necessary when you're programming ?).

The graphic design is just absolutely AWFUL. I mean, it's just ABSOLUTE crap. Absolutely no artistic sense at all. I sincerely hope it isn't a professional work ! And when you work on your computer all day, having at least a "somewhat pretty" environment is important. Don't tell me about the thousands of "themes" you can find, most of them are just the same kind of failure. Apple and Microsoft give at least some love to the artistic design, and considering Windows7 and OsX10.6, even if it's not perfect yet it is waaaaaaay better than any Linux distribution.

What's left is : performance, global design.
    This, is very good (yet far from excellent), but that's not what I (and many "losers still giving money for marketing shit blahblah") expect from an Operating System I spend all my days on. It also needs to be way more "pro", to be something more than just a "h4rc0r3 1337 42"-ish alternative (which kind of is at the moment, if you consider many points).
    It's more user-friendly than ever, but still dozens and dozens of light-years away from other products.

Sorry for the poor vocabulary, english isn't my primary language.

Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post
    And that's the same for nearly anything with any Linux distribution.
    I won't consider it as a "regular" Operating System as long as :
    Sorry, I can't take your opinion seriously as you've clearly not used Linux seriously or for an extended period of time. Regardless, this was never about Linux vs Mac vs Windows, it was about WoW on Linux. Your fanatical anti-Linux rant wasn't particularly constructive nor accurate.
    Shadowsong EU: Tyler [85 Warrior] .: Durden [85 Priest] .: Palahniuk [85 Warlock] .: Boeddeker [85 Shaman] .: Cronenweth [85 Druid] .: Uhls [85 Paladin] .: Chesler [85 Mage] .: Fincher [85 Hunter] .: Paulson [85 Rogue] .: Lichborne [85 Death Knight] Magtheridon EU: Uhls [82 Paladin] Trollbane EU: Acro [81 Death Knight] Blade's Edge EU: Cronenweth [83 Druid]

Quote Originally Posted by Palahniuk View Post
    Sorry, I can't take your opinion seriously as you've clearly not used Linux seriously or for an extended period of time. Regardless, this was never about Linux vs Mac vs Windows, it was about WoW on Linux. Your fanatical anti-Linux rant wasn't particularly constructive nor accurate.
    I'm sorry to tell you but, I've been "forced" to use various kind of Linux distros for several years on a daily basis for what can be considered "serious".
    And if you had read further, you would have noticed that I'm not particularly "anti-linux" nor "pro-anything". There are pros and cons, for me there's more cons.

And about the original topic, I find it funny that many people flamed over non-linux users inside this thread but you just reacted over me with my "fanatical anti-linux rant".
    If you want my opinion, I voted "no" for the same exact reason as Cactrot.
    Last edited by Eled.; 2010-09-07 at 12:07 PM.