Page 1 of 2
LastLast

capitals further undermined in cata

YEs, to access the new areas, there will be portals to all of them from Orgrimmar and Stormwind only - i'm like well done blizz, nice way to give more use to other capitals that are either nearer or have races far more invested in the zone than the humans or orcs...why the hell would a night elf wanna go stormwind to reach Hyjal? Would they even allow that?

aside from orgrimmar and stormwind. Please tell me why blizzard, why we are getting more excuses to stay in orgrimmar/stromwind or visit them than any of the other cities? which i would have thought at least more effort would have been put into encouraging players to use them?

althouh Darnassus was much closer to borean tundra than Stormwind, i understand that the alliance left from stormwind becuase it was the humans leading the campaign, when you think that it was a human Port in borean tundra it made sense as the supplies to build it will come off the humans. - the horde was a lot more logical for wrath, borean was accessible form orgrimmar and howling from undercity, nearest points (though why they didn't give undercity a shipyard from Tirisfal galdes to vengeance landing given the quests there was a bit surprising.

But for cataclysm, 1. HYJAL !!! why on earth would portal exist from Stormwind and not Daranassus? Orgrimmar makes sense, but it really is so easy to fly there from there and you typically stay there for the duration, though i would definitely put the portal in Thunderbluff, because the Orcs are NOT on good terms with the Elves after those shananigans earlier in the night elven lands of Ashenvale and stonetalon mountains including the bombing of a druid school of Elves, worgen and Tauren. The Tauren however make perfect sense, as they have operatives in the cenarion circle and Guardians of hyjal and work with the elves on druidic matters includin gaining acceptance in the pact with YSera, horde should have portals from Thunderbluff and fly from Orgrimmar if they're there into Hyjol. But not using Darnassus to get to Hyjal is just really dumbfounding to me...

Vashj'ir, again Darnassus makes sense theme wise, dealing with the naga and all afterall, it is a sunken Night Elf city, and the highbourne as well as the other night elves would want to correct and punish their traitorous mutant kin. Stormwind can make sense for a portal to Vashj'ir because of proximity, that's about it, but why not have a boat from stormwind there anyway?. Horde wise, Orcs really have nothin to do here, Blood elves do though, Silvermoon because of the highbourne connection to the sin'dorei ( the sin'dorei were once highbourne themselves before they changed themselves to blood elves and Silvermoon was once a highbourne city before Arthas defiled the sunwell), Orgrimmar's possibly here though because of the Trolls and the naga sea witch history, not cos of the orcs...

Deepholme: For alliance, Exodar city makes both most sense and prcatical, shaman and a lot of earth mining too, although Ironforge could make sense as the wildhammers are now in ironforge, and the dwarves dig a lot though tbh, they've shifted their industry from mining to archaelogy making them better for other zones. The Draenei we know are the jewelcrafter expects and ofc the strong shaman thing, i'd give this to the Draenei, for horde, Thunderbluff definitely with all the Earthmother connection and earth reverences, Therazane is not the Earthmother, but she is the stonemother, and the Tauren would be very serious about protecting this, they'd be the horde group most vested in interest here. not orgrimmar.

Uldum makes no sense for Stormwind either, it should be Ironforge hands down for the alliance, Explorer's league have been scratching to get into Uldum ever since we discovered the discs in Ulduman, and for the horde it should be SIlvermoon and perhaps a Thunderbluff portal as thunderbluff is geographcially the closest. Nut Silvermoon are now issuing Elves to research and have a rival explorers league, they are clashing a lot with the explorers league and are the researchers of the horde in every acadmeic matter save Alchemy to which the forsaken are crazy about and engineering which the goblins are unequaled for savagery.

Twilight highlands for alliance has no business in stormwind either, it's Ironforge for the second time due to proximity and theme, the Wildhammer dwarves are here, they've got a lot of villages and homes here, more so than there capital at Aerie's peak (until hinterlands is properly done to reflect thier presence there), and the highlands are dwarven ancestral territory too, Wild hammers now play a role in the allinace, Dwarven shaman are likely wildhammer or wildhammer taught. and for the Horde i would give this to Undercity for proximity but an Orgrimmar portal makes sense because of the Dragonmaw ORc involvement. This perhaps is the one that Orgrimmar is justified in having, though one should exist in Undercity too. Afterall Garrosh has taken the hated dragonmaw back under his wings, I wonder how Alexstrasza and the reds would react to this.

all portals only in ORgrimmar/Stormwind = worse possibility
    Portlas in every city to every zone = better idea

However best idea is:
    Hyjal: Darnassus (alliance), Thunderbluff (Horde)
    Vashj'ir Darnassus and Stormwind (alliance), Silvermoon (horde)
    Deepholm: Exodar (alliance), Thunderbluff (horde)
    Uldum Ironforge (alliance), SIlvermoon (horde)
    Twilight HIghlands Ironforge (alliance), Undercity & Orgirmmar (horde)((
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2010-09-05 at 02:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    dalrans portals should be removed and each city should get portals to each city and ur idea

I reread it three times and still don't understand what you're trying to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    This ^^
    "lol uh oh , spelling correction, the sure sign someone is losing an argument "

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    dalrans portals should be removed and each city should get portals to each city and ur idea
    this

15+ Year Old Account
    Focussing on Stormwind and Org is a step forward.. But the greed of the player base just keeps increasing exponentially, nothing is good enough. Who knows, maybe Darnassus will have it's moment in the spotlight during an emerald dream expansion or something, or even a future patch.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hardly think distance is a consideration for mage portals considering the portals from shatt to vanilla aren't special.

Alliance is screwed if the buring legion ever learns Summon Portal: Stormwind.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Focussing on Stormwind and Org is a step forward.. But the greed of the player base just keeps increasing exponentially, nothing is good enough. Who knows, maybe Darnassus will have it's moment in the spotlight during an emerald dream expansion or something, or even a future patch.
    You mean that we know Blizzard can do better and ask for them to? How fucking greedy are we.

The reason Blizzard is always focusing on Stormwind and Orgrimmar really two fold. First, they are the most used cities by players of their respective factions. While this is seen by some as a bad thing (It highlights flaws with the other cities rather than the strength of Stormwind or Orgrimmar) it also serves as the easiest way to help the largest part of the community. Second, from a in-universe perspectve, they are the capitals of their factions, and as such are naturally going to be the hub for all sorts of activity. While i would love to see the Exodar redone, or Darnassus get some love (Asside from a tree full of furries), the fact remains that its easier to reinforce the popular cities rather then make an overhaul to the old ones that MAY make them popular.

Deleted
    This.

I agree with some of your points
    and disagree with others.

However Org and Stormwind are the most used of the 8 (i think thats what we're at now?(10 in cata?))
    Anyway. ^^^^^^^^ that
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Bolvar: Dammit! Kel'Thuzad, its happened again! I need you to go to get me more ice!
    Kel'Thuzad: But my master, the corner store is all the way in Kalimdor!

Quote Originally Posted by Sexyama View Post
    I agree with some of your points
    and disagree with others.

However Org and Stormwind are the most used of the 8 (i think thats what we're at now?(10 in cata?))
    Anyway. ^^^^^^^^ that
    They are the most used b/c of blizzard making them the most accessible. Alliance use to use Ironforge more, because in classic, you could get to the first two tiers of raids, Blackrock mountain for MC and BWL from Ironforge quickest by flying to searing gorge, no other reason. Only in wrath and the building of the stormwind harbor etc did you get a further shift to SW, but still people would congregate in ironforge,

For orgirimar it had nothing to do with the orcs, again, Orgrimmar served most places best, yo had access to the largest horde quest of hub nearby, plus easier access to thunderbluff, a zepplin away to undercity and to stranglethorn vale, from wher eyou'd fly to burning steppes and go to MC/BWl,

They are popular because of blizzard making them popular. Throw portals to the new zones in all the cities or select the city per zone, then you'd see people spend mor etime there.

Firelands raid would have people more in darnassus for alliance if the portal was rightfully there to hyjal, i mean the Elves would be most unlikely to sanction portals anywhere outside races who were directly inovlved i.e. themselves and the tauren, for Grim Batol, the cities that access to twilight Highlands would be popular rightfully IF and Org , and for sky wall silvermoon/IF, deepholme raid - exodar/thunderbluff -and with all sharing AH's i mean these cities would see a lot more life - then they can do things to boost them up further at a later date.

Deleted
    THIS

All I read was that you want portals in every city...I don't care wether Orgrimmar or Stormwind is the new hub...It makes the other cities look less like a bloody zoo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Alliance use to use Ironforge more, because in classic, you could get to the first two tiers of raids, Blackrock mountain for MC and BWL from Ironforge quickest by flying to searing gorge, no other reason.
    Ironforge used to be used more because it housed the (then only) Alliance auction house. MC and BWL had nothing to do with it - the Searing Gorge flightpath didn't even exist yet, so that wasn't a plus for Ironforge. It's position did help it to keep it's dominance later on (after SG got it's flightpath and the other cities got their auctionhouse), but the most important reason why IF was used so much for a long time was always trade-related: everyone went to Ironforge for trades and enchants and the like, because everyone was at Ironforge. It was a self-sustaining thing that only died down slowly.

Deleted
    The whole damn portal idea is stupid, what the hell is the point of travelling, just give us a console command to teleport ourselves anywhere.

But yeah, i agree, if they are going to make some damn portals to some god forgotten zone, it should be from every capital, not just org/SW. I want to hang out in TB and Darnassus, NOT SW/ORG. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    You mean that we know Blizzard can do better and ask for them to? How fucking greedy are we.
    Considering people are whining that they are making the cities better, pretty greedy.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

what all say: the portals to the new zones are ridiculous, srsly, with how cheap mounts and all, do they have to ruin the first time travelling experience to the new places? I just don't feel like if I'm in a world if I take a random portal to each lvling place, it gives more a "lolz, tiem to qeue for the bg" feeling, wich is far as epic as seeing the entrance to a new zona and being like "wooooow" and all

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't the portals just there in the beta to make it easier for people to access these areas? That's what I thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    now give mages the ability to teleport into any zone of their choosing...

Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    Ironforge used to be used more because it housed the (then only) Alliance auction house. MC and BWL had nothing to do with it - the Searing Gorge flightpath didn't even exist yet, so that wasn't a plus for Ironforge. It's position did help it to keep it's dominance later on (after SG got it's flightpath and the other cities got their auctionhouse), but the most important reason why IF was used so much for a long time was always trade-related: everyone went to Ironforge for trades and enchants and the like, because everyone was at Ironforge. It was a self-sustaining thing that only died down slowly.
    Good thing i didnt have to type that out to him, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Bolvar: Dammit! Kel'Thuzad, its happened again! I need you to go to get me more ice!
    Kel'Thuzad: But my master, the corner store is all the way in Kalimdor!