10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Northrend and Outland: Forever lost in the annals of Warcraft history?

Heads up, this is a speculation thread, we don't need waste of space: "It will never happen" comments here.

A lot of us liked Outland and have a lot of nostalgia there, as we will with Northrend eventually. So my topic for speculation is this; will Blizzard revisit these lands in any shape or form? (New raid patches, or Cataclysm-like expansions?) Will the greatest of heroes ever return to the broken world or frozen north to combat stronger villians? Will these lands be anything more than expansion remnants, leveling zones, and pointless nostalgia?

What do you think they could do to these continents to make them important in the future, if anything at all.

The only thing I could honestly see would be a few quests at the start of the zones saying something like...

"Oh hai, this is a different time zone, I know that Deathwing is roflstomping the world right now... but if you don't come back and kill 20 Talbuks, you will rip a hole in the space time continuum!"

Nothing much else sadly...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Heads up, this is a speculation thread, we don't need waste of space: "It will never happen" comments here.

A lot of us liked Outland and have a lot of nostalgia there, as we will with Northrend eventually. So my topic for speculation is this; will Blizzard revisit these lands in any shape or form? (New raid patches, or Cataclysm-like expansions?) Will the greatest of heroes ever return to the broken world or frozen north to combat stronger villians? Will these lands be anything more than expansion remnants, leveling zones, and pointless nostalgia?

What do you think they could do to these continents to make them important in the future, if anything at all.
    What I will say is NOT speculation... Blizzard WILL retouch Outland and Northrend in the future, so it doesn't feel crappy But it won't be right now, and if they do, well add a few threats, more Alliance vs Horde war, and fun.
    I won the game and all I got was this lousy signature.

Please; if you have any doubts about how to spec Google it, it'll be way faster than making a thread about it.

I don't see Northrend getting any love in the future. I mean, we're pretty much done there and I can't see the Horde and Alliance fighting over it.

Outland, meh. Maybe. Would be cool I guess but for now it's nice the way it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Remember kids:

Kael'Thas says: TEMPEST KEEP WAS MERELY A SETBACK!
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

As far as immediate uses for the zone, I hope that something is done for the lore and level progression. Sort of a "caverns of time" type deal where your are put back in time to fight through Outlands and Northrend.

For future uses, I enjoyed that Kara was in the old world, and new raid content in these zones would be fun, but more would need to be done to make it interesting. Maybe updating locations for farming, introduce new mats only found in the different continents and what not.

I would have to put more thought into it to come up with better ideas, but maybe random spawn bosses that appear in different places for loot, Doom Lord style.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightshield View Post
    Nothing old content stays old
    Tell that to levels 1 to 60.

It would make sense if they did eventually; aside from anything, assuming the quality of each expansion is better than the last then levels 58 to 78 are going to be worse than 1 to 58 and 78 to 85. I can;t think what they;d do, but I suppose there could be a general theme of healing the land.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You say that, yet there they go messing with Azeroth. So old content obviously doesn't stay old.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    What, exactly, is the point of this thread when they said they have plans to in the future at Gamescon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    What, exactly, is the point of this thread when they said they have plans to in the future at Gamescon?
    I didn't read everything at Gamescon. Okay, that just confirms that they want to do something, so what do you think they will do?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You still have all thoes portals being keept closed under wyrmrest, might be OS/RS encounters or new big raids, i hope for raids with some more asum dragon lore in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by addictedtotoads
    also i vote that warriors have a 10% chance to trip while charging and roll until you hit a wall or fall off a cliff!

I speculate the reason why Draenei lore progression has been put on the backburner is because they are first and foremost the main race to deal with the Sargeras conflict.

I further speculate Blizz will close the arc of the Warcraft universe in the form of a future WoW expansion (I hope not) or a Warcraft sequel in which players revisit the original Draenei homeland (Argus) to deal with Sargeras.

If this happens, Blizz has a lot of lore potential in revisiting Outland.

(IMO) I hope that we wont be revisiting Outland or Northrend in any big expansion type way.

It was fun at the time and we can always go back and do the raids and such, but revisiting
    those places will just make it feel stale and overused.

we are definitely gonna be going back to northrend at some point. they purposely set up bolvar as the new lich king so we will have an excuse to go back. we will be fighting the lich king again except this time its going to be all fiery instead of frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedjefe View Post
    I speculate the reason why Draenei lore progression has been put on the backburner is because they are first and foremost the main race to deal with the Sargeras conflict.

I further speculate Blizz will close the arc of the Warcraft universe in the form of a future WoW expansion (I hope not) or a Warcraft sequel in which players revisit the original Draenei homeland (Argus) to deal with Sargeras.

If this happens, Blizz has a lot of lore potential in revisiting Outland.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Sargeras I always thought Sargeras would make the most epic raid encounter. Frankly because he is so impossible to kill. Not to mention the one of the two broken sword pieces dropping. Then maybe, just maybe, putting them back together for the best weapon in game, Gorshalach.

Outland is an easy one that can be redone and given a very good purpose as they can just open those 4 portals that Illidan closed for the High level content and have another Burning Legion invasion be the focus on the Outland level zones.

Northrend is much more difficult. While yes Bolvar could become the villain of the series do we really want that? To have to basically do everything for Wrath over again only to crown another character most likely an Alliance human(since thats the track record with the free lich king.) to be the Lich King? Northrend also was done much better leveling wise then classic WoW and BC so it may be possible that while its old they might never change it. I only say that because its really hard for anyone to develop a VERY good lore reason to return up north with an appealing villain without it being Bolvar.

I speculate Bolvar/the new Lich King being a hero class or the main character in a future Warcraft sequel. Ok maybe that's not speculation, so much as it's a wish.

I really hope they don't plan on releasing too many more expansions. I don't want to see the Warcraft universe (specifically, the lore) continuously burned by the goal to make kool expansions to an MMO. They need to wrap things up with a non-MMO style Warcraft sequel.