Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dual Screen in Windows 7

I need the help from someone who allready got this working:

I got 2 screens (1680 x 1050) and 1280 x 1024)
    I wanna set up my Wow so that I got a black screen on my 2nd screen where I can have addons like Recount, minimap, chat panels, buffs. etc.
    In my main screen I only want the stuff important to my gameplay: Unit frames, timer bars, debuffs

Now there is a great post on this particular topic on the american forums (where I can't post because I'm in europe)
    forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=12052602&sid=1&pageNo=19

It says that In Windows 7 Horizontal span is nolonger an option, and that I need to use a 3rd party software to make it work. (Ultramon, HotKeyNet, Actual windows manager)

Now I have tried following the steps that both Niscandia and Niori posted in the american forum thread (page 19):

1) Get your horizontal Resolution (1920x1080 would mean the horizontal Resolution would be 1080)
    2) Divide that by 2 (540 for this example)
    3) Open up your "Config.wtf" and redo the line "SET gxResolution" to the new resolution with the horizontal resolution divided by 2 (1920x540)
    4) Make sure WoW is running in windowed mode (maximize optional)
    5) Use a program to resize WoW to fit both screens

HotKeyNet is rather easy to use (best because it's FREE currently), and this will guide any who know zero about scripting through the easy setup:

1. Open the exe file you downloaded on the Hotkeynet.com
    2. Open notepad and create a .txt file that says this (put it wherever, just remember the directory so you can load it):

<Hotkey F1>
    <TargetWin "World of Warcraft">
    <SetWinSize 2560 1024>

Note: SetWinSize = your dimensions, x and y respectively so enter whatever you need there.
    Don't forget to do what Niscandia said above with the wtf file first.

3. Load Script (click button on bottom left of HotKeyNet build 208 - self explanatory when you open HotKeyNet).
    4. Start up wow, press F1 and it will resize the window without paying for ultramon to do this for you...
    When I try this I end up with a "Fat" version of Wow. Everything is twice as wide as it should.
    So it's got something to do with the aspect ratio.
    I used Viewporter to set my viewport to my mainscreen.

- How the hell do I get it to look normal?
    - Am I supposed to be able to choose a resolution inside the game that says 2960 x 1024 (which is my maximum resulution on the 2 screens?
    - Is this only possible if my screens is the same sice?

Please help as I have pulled most of my hair out over this

What kind of graphics card do you have? Brand and Model.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Deleted
    What's that AddOn called, it changes the viewport of WoW... Yeah Sunn Viewport Art. There are probably other addons capable of changing the game's scale.

Since you were able to get WoW rendered over both monitors, you should be able to get the addon, set up a vertical bar at the side of the screen and then increase the width of the bar to "push" the game to only be visible at the main monitor.

---------- Post added 2010-09-07 at 05:32 PM ----------

Oh and you shouldn't have to use another 3rd party program for getting WoW on both monitors. If you open the settings for your graphics card's drivers there should be options for stretching games over several monitors.
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2010-09-07 at 03:32 PM.

Deleted
    WoW still believes that you are running 1280x1024, so it renders everything twice the size, obviously.
    Try changing the gxResolution value in your Config.WTF to 2560x1024 (even though WoW will probably not accept that, it's worth trying).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    WoW still believes that you are running 1280x1024, so it renders everything twice the size, obviously.
    Try changing the gxResolution value in your Config.WTF to 2560x1024 (even though WoW will probably not accept that, it's worth trying).
    I did try that only I tried it with my combined Resolution (1680 x 1050) + (1280 x 1024)

So I set my gxResolution to 2960 x 1024

I still ended up with wow for fat people
    everything stretched out.

---------- Post added 2010-09-07 at 06:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    What's that AddOn called, it changes the viewport of WoW... Yeah Sunn Viewport Art. There are probably other addons capable of changing the game's scale.

Since you were able to get WoW rendered over both monitors, you should be able to get the addon, set up a vertical bar at the side of the screen and then increase the width of the bar to "push" the game to only be visible at the main monitor.

I'm using both sunn Viewport art and Viewporter.
    I've tried disabling them one at a time to see if they caused interference to each other.

---------- Post added 2010-09-07 at 05:32 PM ----------

Oh and you shouldn't have to use another 3rd party program for getting WoW on both monitors. If you open the settings for your graphics card's drivers there should be options for stretching games over several monitors.
    I have both Sunn Viewport art and Viewporter. I've tried both of them together AND one at a time wo see if they caused trouble to each other. (they didn't)

This whole question wouldn't be an issue if I were running on an XP machine. In Win XP you have the option to use Horizontal span, which makes your two screens act like 1 large screen. (If that were the case I would be able to set the correct resolution in WOW)

Windows 7 only allows me to extend my screen to another. (PC recognizes 2 Screens with 2 diferent resolutions)

---------- Post added 2010-09-07 at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    What kind of graphics card do you have? Brand and Model.
    Nvidia Geforce 9800GT (1024 GB) using 2 DVI ports

Deleted
    Did you google 'dual heading wow'? I found a couple of threads which seem to have been solved and a couple of blogs discussing the matter. On Windows 7 machines too.

Oh and I'm not trying to mock you with a "just google it", I am trying to help. :-)

I read somewhere that it should be possible to make the 2 screens act like 1, so the PC will only recognize it as 1 single screen. If you can find a program that does that, WoW should be stretched over there without problems because it will see 1 screen (1 resolution) instead of 2, and hopefully you should be able to pick the desired resolution in the WoW settings. (although the resolution's height can't exceed 1024 so minor vertical stretching might happen on your main monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillerr View Post
    I read somewhere that it should be possible to make the 2 screens act like 1, so the PC will only recognize it as 1 single screen. If you can find a program that does that, WoW should be stretched over there without problems because it will see 1 screen (1 resolution) instead of 2, and hopefully you should be able to pick the desired resolution in the WoW settings. (although the resolution's height can't exceed 1024 so minor vertical stretching might happen on your main monitor.
    Let me know if you find out where you read it.
    I've been spending the past 4 days trying to get this to work.

I've googled more the past 4 days than I have the past ½ year. Dual Screen Wow, Dual head Wow, Dual view WOW etc.

I won't give up because there must be someone outthere who have it working corectly.

Deleted
    In order to merge the screens your gfx card has to support it (on your OS).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    In order to merge the screens your gfx card has to support it (on your OS).
    I have seen screenshots of peoples UI doing it how I want it (Windows 7 and Nvidia Cards)
    None of them have posted a description of how to do it.

IIRC, this isn't really possible with 2 screens of different dimensions. With 2 screens of the same dimension, you tell WoW that it's 2x the width of the screen, and use a viewport addon to chop that in half so the world takes up one screen and your stuff takes up the other.

Although with almost every worthwhile addon able to hide or stay out of the way during combat, I'm not really sure of the usefulness of this anyway. Just my $.02.

i tihnk the screens have to be the same dimension. i tried this once.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can generally only use spanning solutions if they both support the same aspect ratio - widescreen, hd, or standard (or 16:10, 16:9, 4:3 for geeks), as well as both having support for the same resolution (you can't span a 1680x1050 and a 1920x1200 at the higher resolution - but you can if you set them both to the highest resolution they both support - 1680x1050 in this case).

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, eyefinity would be one option buy im fairly sure thats only available on new cards. Not 100% sure though :<.

Eyefinity is an AMD/ATI only solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
    You can generally only use spanning solutions if they both support the same aspect ratio - widescreen, hd, or standard (or 16:10, 16:9, 4:3 for geeks), as well as both having support for the same resolution (you can't span a 1680x1050 and a 1920x1200 at the higher resolution - but you can if you set them both to the highest resolution they both support - 1680x1050 in this case).
    Where did you read this?

---------- Post added 2010-09-08 at 05:22 PM ----------

Yep if only I had an ATI eyefinity card, then my troubles would be over.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Read what? It was based on prior experience (an inability to enable spanning on one pair of monitors in WinXP, but the ability to do it on a different pair of monitors).

The monitors that wouldn't work paired used a different aspect ratio - 16:10 and 4:3 (resolutions: 1680x1050 and 1600x1200).
    The monitors that would work paired had the same aspect ratio - 4:3 (1280x1024 for one, 1024x768 for the other - couldn't span at 1280x1024, but when I lowered that monitor to use 1024x768, it worked fine, and gave me a monitor with 2056x786 resolution).

Interesting, but how do you configure it that your character is in the centre? Edit: on the left or right screen of course
    Last edited by Knuffelbert; 2010-09-08 at 07:35 PM.

You could use CT_Viewport. As far as I know it still works. (Basically it just resizes the rendered part of the screen to what you specify.) And then set it so that the rendered area is on the left screen. That would leave your character in the middle of the left screen

Deleted
    Left half:
    Code:
    /run WorldFrame:SetUserPlaced(true) WorldFrame:SetPoint("TOPLEFT") WorldFrame:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT", nil, "BOTTOM")
    Right half:
    Code:
    /run WorldFrame:SetUserPlaced(true) WorldFrame:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", nil, "TOP") WorldFrame:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT")
    Execute once, position is saved afterwards.
    To reset back to default, use this:
    Code:
    /run WorldFrame:SetUserPlaced(false) ReloadUI()