Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is this a smart way to lvl?

http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21640460

No quests, just LFD tanking, as DW frost stacking stam gems, lvling into endgame frost dps spec as I hate respecing.

Using loom plate and loom sword mh/loom mace oh, plus dungeon loots

Is there anyway I could do this more effectively or smarter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well...i can say doing quest make it better..you level faster so you know so i say quest and LFD..that a good way to do it

Well to be honest i saw a paladin tank in all those alt stuff that bind to account (forgot the damn name) with enchantments and when we did zul farak with him he gathered 1/3 of the mobs there while running and allowed us to aoe them down without losing an agro, we did ZF three times in an hour or maybe a little more so... i think doing instances with this new alt gear is better because you get exp/item/gold for random dungeon
    "Close your eyes and start runing, wall will find you on it own" - Onearrow
    "Life tap is such a great ability! But why didnt blizzard think about ability that would take your mana and regain your health instead.... oh... wait..." - Entalpia

Dungeons have pretty much repetitive pulls. Make sure you do some proper questing too. You'll work out some special tricks that aoe grinding dungeons won't teach you. Not to mention that there are some pretty nice green trinkets as quest rewards.

LFD is a hell of a lot slower than just questing as blood. In about 6 hours you can get yourself to 64 with zero downtime. Blood DPS heals you like crazy, and really no need to spec tank. But if you want to waste time in a queue, I can only suggest a more effective and smarter way.

I find LFD faster than questing up to high Outland / Wrath content.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Deleted
    I generally think that dungeon leveling in Northrend is a really bad idea, due to the (for me) low xp/min compared to questing. I hate Northrend though, and try to just quest my way through as quickly as possible, but I still prefer it rather than dungeoning all the way.

15+ Year Old Account
    LFD as tank in northrend is not really worth it other than the daily one above lvl 72-73, the xp gain is reeeally low.

Well I can say I have lvled tanks before and it's solid insta-Qs on LFD so no downtime. And my heart is set on frost.

Any other thoughts? whether I should stack stam gems or not

Oh also I went 70-80 on my druid tank only in LFD and it seemed pretty fast, is questing 70-80 definitely better?
    Last edited by awebz; 2010-09-08 at 02:43 PM.

DONT DUELWIELD FROST TANK!!!!!

At least while leveling, you can't get nearly enough hit/exp to make it viable, and the avoidance you get is minimal. Just pick up a beefy 2 hander and use that for now.

Also if your doing it purely using dungeons, the only way to speed it up is to get a pre-made of 5 component people at the same level, but getting this is hard. Just queue for dungeons like you do now, quest till shit pops. If you get into a group with either people afk, or slow dps/multiple wipes, it might be better to just leave, eat the debuff and quest while you wait.

Quote Originally Posted by awebz View Post
    Well I can say I have lvled tanks before and it's solid insta-Qs on LFD so no downtime. And my heart is set on frost.

Any other thoughts? whether I should stack stam gems or not

Oh also I went 70-80 on my druid tank only in LFD and it seemed pretty fast, is questing 70-80 definitely better?
    Stam gem stacking at low levels isn't necessary. Make sure you have enough def to not get crit and then consider plain avoidance. Remeber you can avoid nearly every mob that is likely to kill you in normal dungeons.

We stam stack at top end because of single large unavoidable damage, and the stam gives the healers a chance to react. In a dungeon, avoidance will result in less healing required and a much happier healer.

Most of my normal dungeon wipes are with stam stacking tanks, with 0 def rating, who then get chain critted. It's not pretty.

Thanks, theres some pretty stupid advice here. I'm not going to put defense gems in lvl62 blues not being able to reach cap, going EH with stam makes much more sense.

Now the comment about 2h frost being better that DW for lvling scares me...is this true?

well for starters, if you want to do it "smarter", get a tank spec. dont be so lazy.

EDIT: why is everyone talking about questing? the OP didnt ask for advice about questing vs dungeons. he asked for ways to help his LFD runs. pay attention...
    Last edited by tanked; 2010-09-08 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Stam gem stacking at low levels isn't necessary. Make sure you have enough def to not get crit and then consider plain avoidance. Remeber you can avoid nearly every mob that is likely to kill you in normal dungeons.

We stam stack at top end because of single large unavoidable damage, and the stam gives the healers a chance to react. In a dungeon, avoidance will result in less healing required and a much happier healer.

Most of my normal dungeon wipes are with stam stacking tanks, with 0 def rating, who then get chain critted. It's not pretty.
    You cant have 0 defence LOLOLOLOL .. scrub..unless you go around grouping with lvl 1 freshly made toons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerandomhobo View Post
    DONT DUELWIELD FROST TANK!!!!!

At least while leveling, you can't get nearly enough hit/exp to make it viable, and the avoidance you get is minimal. Just pick up a beefy 2 hander and use that for now.

Also if your doing it purely using dungeons, the only way to speed it up is to get a pre-made of 5 component people at the same level, but getting this is hard. Just queue for dungeons like you do now, quest till shit pops. If you get into a group with either people afk, or slow dps/multiple wipes, it might be better to just leave, eat the debuff and quest while you wait.
    I've leveled as frost tank/DPS and I've never had any problems with hit/exp. Since frost is all about DW you should be doing more threat/DPS by using two one-handers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazgul View Post
    You cant have 0 defence LOLOLOLOL .. scrub..unless you go around grouping with lvl 1 freshly made toons.

While you can't have 0 defense, you can have 0 defense rating (the stuff that's on gear). L2read.

Quote Originally Posted by awebz View Post
    Thanks, theres some pretty stupid advice here. I'm not going to put defense gems in lvl62 blues not being able to reach cap, going EH with stam makes much more sense.

Now the comment about 2h frost being better that DW for lvling scares me...is this true?
    YES, this is true. DW frost tanking is highly specialized, because so much is based on your offhand landing. Without the hit and expertise to effectively make sure you do not miss, your threat gen will be erratic at best.

I have 8 80's and 2 more toons I just leveled through outlands, and not once did I encounter a Good DW frost tank. If you are a rogue, and your offhand misses, dps suffers but... well whatever. When you are DW DK tank and you start missing, people start dying.

IF you are set on using the LFD tool only AND you are set on frost, for the love of all that is holy, get a 2H weapon at the very least.
    Last edited by boseguy22; 2010-09-08 at 03:12 PM. Reason: noob typing mistake

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazgul View Post
    Shut up, you sound like a dribbling 10 year old idiot.

Dual wielding is a pretty terrible idea at this point, since you won't have the gear to mitigate the drastic hit penalties enough, and will constantly miss.
    "The truth, my goal."

You may find that leveling in battlegrounds is faster then questing and ddungeons.. if you can get a good premade going then you will blaze thru the 60's and 70's... for anyone else starting from scratch (not a deathknight) .. unless you have an 80 running you thru dungeons over and over again, questing is much faster then dungeons
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)