Thread: parry hasting?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    Like I said, no such thing as "rear parry-hasting."
    Even NPCs cannot parry from behind, although they can dodge, but dodge does nothing about.. here it is- |PARRY| haste.
    You actually said "no such thing" in response to something that included rear parry and 15% frontal parry in the same sentence, so it was unclear what you were referring to. One could have reasonably assumed you meant the 15% frontal parry, as did the poster you responded to with the quoted text.
    Protip: You don't need to add an apostrophe to make things plural.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onkel View Post
    Do some research before you post instead of posting what you think happens.

Parry chance is higher than the dodge chance and requires more expertise to cap.
    You do realize he was telling the guy there is no such thing as getting parried from behind a boss right? And he is correct. That is why melee only aims for 26 expertise as their cap.

If you really need a spec to copy, go ahead & click my armory in sig, it's the current cookie-cutter / highest-threat spec for prot.

@Dce, can I ask where you got the graph from?

And I swore that Fester parry hasted..or maybe my healers were slacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    @Dce, can I ask where you got the graph from?

And I swore that Fester parry hasted..or maybe my healers were slacking.
    Yeah, sorry, my bad. I included the source in an edit shortly after.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...alysis#talents

Edit: By the way, if you are going up against a boss with parry hasting, I would recommend going into Rawr and turning on Parry Hasting. It's amazing how effective expertise becomes at preventing damage when it is enabled. It skyrockets past all other defensive stats and is up there near Stamina.

Its not that I need threat guys, threat is fine. Its that I never use DS+DG that I might as well make something somewhat useful and passive.

I just didnt want to screw the guild over because I had the boss hit me twice in a row like a truck.

---------- Post added 2010-09-08 at 10:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    Yeah, sorry, my bad. I included the source in an edit shortly after.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...alysis#talents

Edit: By the way, if you are going up against a boss with parry hasting, I would recommend going into Rawr and turning on Parry Hasting. It's amazing how effective expertise becomes at preventing damage when it is enabled. It skyrockets past all other defensive stats and is up there near Stamina.
    If only they had it for macs.. /sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

15+ Year Old Account
    Eep. I'd never recommend speccing out of DS+DG, honestly. Even if you don't want to help healers during certain fights (Festergut 0 inhale, Bonestorm, Sindragosa), you can still trigger the ability as a tanking cooldown using a macro like

/cast Divine Sacrifice
    /cancelaura Divine Sacrifice

This will cancel the damage redirection effect, but leave Divine Guardian running on your raid. This turns Divine Sacrifice into a 20% Raid-wide Shield Wall without the damage redirection that can make tanking tricky. You can then use it as an additional tanking cooldown to stack with Divine Protection and others.

Heard it was...
    I'll never undertand why these posts exist. "I heard xx when sx happens" "afaik this is best when..."

For the love of Sanford please don't post unless you have tested and are sure... otherwise its useless. We have all "heard" "afaik" "etc" the reason for the post is looking for tested confirmation. No clue why MMo doesn't implement a ranking system to prevent such useless posts.

Its that I never use DS+DG that I might as well make something somewhat useful and passive.
    Why don't you use it? It's a great cooldown to reduce damage on you tank partner on any fight that has a tank swap. It's almost like giving you tank partner another shield wall. I use it on half the bosses in ICC at least once a fight.

1. Lady Deathwhisper (who knows why, she doesn't even melee hard)
    Actually that is exactly the reason why. Parry haste is a basic game mechanic that gets turned off on a per mob basis on every boss where it would have to large of an impact. So every boss that does big melee hits usually gets parry haste disabled. I guess Sindra and Halion are not parry haste disabled because most of their dmg is magic and not from auto hits. Not sure though, never been on the receiving end of those two. Maybe Blizzard just forgot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlejuice View Post
    Actually that is exactly the reason why. Parry haste is a basic game mechanic that gets turned off on a per mob basis on every boss where it would have to large of an impact. So every boss that does big melee hits usually gets parry haste disabled. I guess Sindra and Halion are not parry haste disabled because most of their dmg is magic and not from auto hits. Not sure though, never been on the receiving end of those two. Maybe Blizzard just forgot.
    Having had to heal both on heroic I can tell you they both hit like trucks :P

Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    is everyone really this ignorant? You can still AVOID the parry'd hit.. or at least mitigate it with a block
    RNG is RNG and the hit is big enough that if you don't avoid it you're gonna be in trouble. Didn't say you're "graunteed" to die just said you're pretty much dead if she parry-haste you. It was also inreponse to Mortalwombat's post saying Halion is the only end-game boss that parry-haste. Also, not all tanks have a Block, the OP has one being a Paladin but DKs and Druids do not. End of the day it's a good idea to have extra Expertise for Sindragosa, especially for Heroic

The basic rule of thumb on expertise as a tank, regardless of class/spec, is 26 is important. Beyond 26, the amount of value you get from expertise is cut in half, because the dodge portion is capped, and it becomes less valuable in comparison to other tanking stats. If you're above 26, great, if not, don't freak out. If you've got extra pieces you can swap in for those specific fights where parry hasting can be a threat, awesome. If not, you should still be able to down the content without it. Also, you should already be eating Rhinolicious Wyrmsteak, so don't forget to add that 40 expertise rating to whatever spreadsheet/sim you use, and Paladins get an extra 10 actual expertise with the SoV glyph.

For example as a paladin tank, on Halion you would wear your tier legs. For EH that involves more physical damage than magical, you'd wear the crafted Pillars, and for avoidance/stamina you'd wear Legguards of Lost Hope.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Having had to heal both on heroic I can tell you they both hit like trucks
    That was never in question. The question was if they hit hard with auto attacks. That is something you can't tell by just healing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel View Post
    Do some research before you post instead of posting what you think happens.

Parry chance is higher than the dodge chance and requires more expertise to cap.
    What exactly is your point? The quoted numbers were correct. 6.5% to take dodges off the table or 26 expertise and 14% to take parries off the table or 56 expertise.

Or were you just quoting to point out the obvious? Is your super hero name Captain Obvious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlejuice View Post
    That was never in question. The question was if they hit hard with auto attacks. That is something you can't tell by just healing someone.
    A decent player easily can, all you have to do is check logs to discover why the tank died, halion hits for around 35-40k unmitigated on heroic as far as I remember.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    Eep. I'd never recommend speccing out of DS+DG, honestly. Even if you don't want to help healers during certain fights (Festergut 0 inhale, Bonestorm, Sindragosa), you can still trigger the ability as a tanking cooldown using a macro like

/cast Divine Sacrifice
    /cancelaura Divine Sacrifice

This will cancel the damage redirection effect, but leave Divine Guardian running on your raid. This turns Divine Sacrifice into a 20% Raid-wide Shield Wall without the damage redirection that can make tanking tricky. You can then use it as an additional tanking cooldown to stack with Divine Protection and others.
    Not sure why you'd want to cancel the damage transferrence. Personally, I use this macro...

/use Corroded Skeleton Key
    /cast Divine Protection
    /cast Divine Sacrifice

Now you have a 50% raid wall, along with more damage reduction and a shield on yourself to eat the extra incoming damage.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Deleted
    May have been said already as I havent read everything but eliminating this problem as a prot paladin is easy, just get the glyph that increases your expertise when seal of vengence / corruption is up and it will exp cap you easily if you have an okayish level of gear.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=43869/gl...l-of-vengeance

It does exist, I remember back in ulduar days we'd have our tank get destroyed by vezax who was in bis gear when we had a retarded melee attack the boss from the front or something and parry his attack. Causing the tank to get roflpwned.