Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    I realize I am saying this at the risk of being decapitated by the rest of this thread, but is there a chance that it could go back to featuring fanart and not half-finished tidbits from someone's digital sketchbook? I feel like the thread has been slightly derailed and for a long time it has been used instead as a sketchblog, which dominates most of the finished or other pieces people find on the web and post. It's getting a little difficult sifting through it all to find pieces that are stylistically new, or by people I've never seen before.

I do NOT have anything against people posting their work, or works in progress, but it seems that everyone else is getting swallowed up in the various wakes of large posts on every page. It gives me little incentive to go back and scroll through things anymore to see new art by artists of all calibers.

So I suppose, you know, go ahead and rip me apart I realize my opinion isn't really uh ... Well for a lurker ... Anyway ... Sorry for disturbing you all.
    Thing is, many people (myself included) enjoy looking at roughs and process images. Process images can also help others who are having a hard time figuring out how to paint.
    You shouldn't be relying on this thread to serve you. It'd probably be better if you just searched up what you wanted on deviantart or tumblr. There you'll probably find what you are looking for.

EDIT: Another way to find new artists is to go to the deviantart page of an artist you like, or are familiar with, and then go through their favourites. That's how I've found many, many artists I've never known of.
    Last edited by Rachel; 2012-03-15 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Thing is, many people (myself included) enjoy looking at roughs and process images. Process images can also help others who are having a hard time figuring out how to paint. You shouldn't be relying on this thread to serve you. It'd probably be better if you just searched up what you wanted on deviantart or tumblr. There you'll probably find what you are looking for.
    Relying on a thread to serve me? Isn't the point of this thread to show new art people find from around the internet? Things that have caught other people's eye that they want to share?

I understand resourcing, and processing images, believe me I know more than you probably want to give me credit for, but criticizing me and telling me to basically bugger off to tumblr or DA isn't exactly the most diplomatic or polite thing, don't you think? Aren't tutorials, FREE ONES, you can get on DA the things that serve the purpose of teaching? Wouldn't in-depth tutorials be better than periodic showings of shading? I mean, people are just looking at pieces slapped up here.

There's nothing about the difference between tints and shades, the differences in building up and building on colours in traditional versus digital art, colour-theory, dynamic lighting, thumbnails, or anything. They're just pictures, and people generally benefit from detailed tutorials or walkthroughs. If artistic help is what people really need I can provide links to dedicated websites that can help them improve themselves with just a little dedication and a set of headphones.

I guess I'll make another point, this isn't an art-help thread. I want to see pieces by people who may not be super proficient at art, but are still willing to post and experiment, and have fun with developing their style without it being incessant. I want to see pieces by multiple artists and to see things people share because they saw it and thought it was wicked awesome. I know I share the same sentiments as people who view this thread, maybe not many, but at least a handful.

Perhaps I'm being a bit of a dick here, but if people want to improve there's nothing wrong with whispering an artist you admire and asking them for thoughts, lots of great artists I know do it - hell I do it. You don't need a better artist blindly posting their work hoping you'll pick up on it, if that's the intent.

I was trying my best to be diplomatic and polite, even a bit self-deprecating, but I'm not going to just sit down and shut up. I've said my piece, and you know what, it sucks that when I tried to express myself, even non-offensively I got shot down so brusquely. Clearly I shouldn't be lurking this thread anymore, in which case, my apologies people (but I figure a bunch of people are going to hate me despite my initial attempt at non-aggressiveness). Perhaps you should make a different thread titled, "Resident Artist Sketchpost", it might help with the points you're trying to make if it's really all about teaching people.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2012-03-15 at 08:28 PM.

Relying on a thread to serve me? Isn't the point of this thread to show new art people find from around the internet? Things that have caught other people's eye that they want to share?

I understand resourcing, and processing images, believe me I know more than you probably want to give me credit for, but criticizing me and telling me to basically bugger off to tumblr or DA isn't exactly the most diplomatic or polite thing, don't you think? Aren't tutorials, FREE ONES, you can get on DA the things that serve the purpose of teaching? Wouldn't in-depth tutorials be better than periodic showings of shading? I mean, people are just looking at pieces slapped up here.

There's nothing about the difference between tints and shades, the differences in building up and building on colours in traditional versus digital art, colour-theory, dynamic lighting, thumbnails, or anything. They're just pictures, and people generally benefit from detailed tutorials or walkthroughs. If artistic help is what people really need I can provide links to dedicated websites that can help them improve themselves with just a little dedication and a set of headphones.

I guess I'll make another point, this isn't an art-help thread. I want to see pieces by people who may not be super proficient at art, but are still willing to post and experiment, and have fun with developing they're style. I want to see pieces by multiple artists and to see things people share because they saw it and thought it was wicked awesome. I know I share the same sentiments as people who view this thread, maybe not many, but at least a handful.

Perhaps I'm being a bit of a dick here, but if people want to improve there's nothing wrong with whispering an artist you admire and asking them for thoughts, lots of great artists I know do it - hell I do it. You don't need a better artist blindly posting their work hoping you'll pick up on it, if that's the intent.

I was trying my best to be diplomatic and polite, even a bit self-deprecating, but I'm not going to just sit down and shut up.
    I wasn't telling you to 'bugger off' to deviantart. The reason I said to search on deviantart is because, well, it has a search option. You can type in whatever you want and you're almost guaranteed to find it.
    I was simply giving advice. :S

Also, people benefit from all sorts of things; be it a process image with no words, or an in-depth explanation. Everyone learns differently.
    The other thing about helping and teaching, is that many of the posters here are in familiar territory, and are probably better off asking for advice here, than some random person on another website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I wasn't telling you to 'bugger off' to deviantart. The reason I said to search on deviantart is because, well, it has a search option. You can type in whatever you want and you're almost guaranteed to find it.
    I was simply giving advice. :S

Also, people benefit from all sorts of things; be it a process image with no words, or an in-depth explanation. Everyone learns differently.
    The other thing about helping and teaching, is that many of the posters here are in familiar territory, and are probably better off asking for advice here, than some random person on another website.
    I'm done, alright? I'm done. You weren't giving advice, you were definitely being passive-aggressive especially with the whole, "You shouldn't be relying on this thread to serve you." Really? My initial post wasn't even remotely demanding, it was meek at best.

I'm done, I won't be back in this thread. Let the people rejoice.

Deleted
    Nothing wrong with using the thread for "half-finished roughs". Sometimes its to get critique on a current work and get direction, assist others on their art progression, and sometimes cos we feel it looks pretty good as it is and felt like sharing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd use thumbnails (or links) if it's five or six different sketches of the same piece. The process is nice to see, but it does take up a rather large amount of space each time.

I'm done, alright? I'm done. You weren't giving advice, you were definitely being passive-aggressive especially with the whole, "You shouldn't be relying on this thread to serve you." Really? My initial post wasn't even remotely demanding, it was meek at best.

I'm done, I won't be back in this thread. Let the people rejoice.
    I'm not rejoicing. This is why I stopped posting art in the first place. To me, this thread doesn't feel like what it used to. I posted my sketches because people seem interested. I understood your criticism and if I was interested in posting my art in this thread again, I would have kept to probably doing links to sketches instead.

However, this thread has turned mostly into a "look at my art that I said is wow related and looks nothing like wow art at all." If you have a different opinion than any popular artist around here, you get snarky, passive aggressive remarks.

On top of that, the art posted most often is very nsfw, and absolutely have no warnings when unsafe work is posted. It's gotten on my nerves, but mods haven't done anything and I just view the thread now for other artists that I actually do enjoy seeing work of, no matter what their talent is.

Hopefully these links work.

Some concept art I did for coursework but I guess I can just go ahead and say it was Pandaria inspired. Though it wasn't, it was definitely east-asia inspired.

Same as above.

My pally.

How did you do the water ripple effects?

post post post post post

[Infract infract infract]
    Last edited by Elementium; 2012-03-16 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immamoonkin View Post
    How did you do the water ripple effects?
    The water below I didn't really make an effect for. I simply made a copy of the mountains and basically everything above an imaginary horizontal line, turned it upside down and used a smudge effect to just smudge it. Basically, I just turned the pic upside down and used a smudge tool on it :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merany View Post
    Oh my, it's been quite a while since I've seen this thread ^^

Made this a while ago, considering fixing the lighting, but that'll probably never happen
    OMG that one is just awesome!! Not only is beautifully made, the theme is really funny
    ~ My mounts collection ~

~ Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ~
    Thanks Elyaan for the signature!

15+ Year Old Account
    Great to see this thread going strong! I was gone for awhile so I couldn't keep up. I really like the landscape art.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowbane,
    Your last pieces are amazing. I love them. Keep up the awesome work.

Really like the feel of the landscape Shadowbane! I feel like i want to take a swim in that lake there >_<

But posting art!

Its made by http://siakim.deviantart.com/
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Deleted
    Ooh he is a handsome pandaren.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the landscapes. And the druids. That never gets old =D

I've done an animation test with my Pitlord rig. That rig took a week to make, the animation a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oVt4HJhxRI

Now I'll be able to use it for my larger 3d animation project, resulting in a 3 minute short film later this year.

Deleted
    My DeviantArt
    My Facebook (for exclusive stuff)

Nozdormu together with my rendition of his consort Soridormi:

Alexstrasza together with my rendition of her mate Krasus:

Last edited by mmoc9f6566d686; 2012-03-25 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaanel View Post
    My DeviantArt
    My Facebook (for exclusive stuff)

Nozdormu together with my rendition of his consort Soridormi:

[IMG]AWESOME PICTURE[/IMG]

Alexstrasza together with my rendition of her mate Krasus:

[IMG]R.I.P. KRASUS PICTURE[/IMG]
    Wow, those are amazing! I love Soridormi's model, it looks fantastic.

Also, R.I.P. Krasus