Deleted
    I love those landscapes Shadowbane! The top one reminds me vaguely of the Cata-created Cenarion area in Loch Modan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaanel View Post
    Nozdormu together with my rendition of his consort Soridormi:

[IMG]http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/082/e/7/nozdormu_and_soridormi_by_vaanel-d4tniu0.jpg[IMG]

Alexstrasza together with my rendition of her mate Krasus:

[IMG]http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/050/0/1/alexstrasza_and_krasus_by_vaanel-d4qaofc.jpg[IMG]
    Looks great, Vaanel. Still really looking forward to the machinima release!

Well following the Panda Theme, here is my contribution, i know it's not a drawing, but im better at this then i am at drawing.

Last edited by spyker; 2012-03-29 at 04:55 PM. Reason: broken link

Deleted
    I am lurkin in this thread for quite a long time, have had a break lately and now come back, browsing through the latest posts... First, I love most of the art here. even the crude sketches - as far as they relate to WoW. But I really have a problem with Rachel's art.

It's great from the perspective of technique. It's great from the perspective of imagination. But it deviates away from WoW (yeah, pun intended) in a way that I find mildly disturbing. It looks to me that the artist takes the theme of WoW and bends it to his own wills and desires so much, that the consistence breaks. Kind of a mild (or not that mild?) abuse of the setting.

New critters are OK, but, for example, Rachels interpretation of the dreanei is too much for me. (And I have no problems with any kind of deviations from normality, in fact, in my fiction world I am creating as a fantasy writer, I have a bunch of hermaphroditic, asexual and whatsoever characters just to explore different possibilities and mindsets, because it fascinates me). But I would never try to bend the world and setting of WoW to my fantasy that much. It does no credit to the creators of this world where I have been partly at home some years ago.

Thanks for feedback on the landscape pics. In the meantime, here's a random Pandaren doing some sort of fiery chi awesomeness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immamoonkin View Post
    I'm not rejoicing. This is why I stopped posting art in the first place. To me, this thread doesn't feel like what it used to. I posted my sketches because people seem interested. I understood your criticism and if I was interested in posting my art in this thread again, I would have kept to probably doing links to sketches instead.

However, this thread has turned mostly into a "look at my art that I said is wow related and looks nothing like wow art at all." If you have a different opinion than any popular artist around here, you get snarky, passive aggressive remarks.

On top of that, the art posted most often is very nsfw, and absolutely have no warnings when unsafe work is posted. It's gotten on my nerves, but mods haven't done anything and I just view the thread now for other artists that I actually do enjoy seeing work of, no matter what their talent is.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I am lurkin in this thread for quite a long time, have had a break lately and now come back, browsing through the latest posts... First, I love most of the art here. even the crude sketches - as far as they relate to WoW. But I really have a problem with Rachel's art.

It's great from the perspective of technique. It's great from the perspective of imagination. But it deviates away from WoW (yeah, pun intended) in a way that I find mildly disturbing. It looks to me that the artist takes the theme of WoW and bends it to his own wills and desires so much, that the consistence breaks. Kind of a mild (or not that mild?) abuse of the setting.

New critters are OK, but, for example, Rachels interpretation of the dreanei is too much for me. (And I have no problems with any kind of deviations from normality, in fact, in my fiction world I am creating as a fantasy writer, I have a bunch of hermaphroditic, asexual and whatsoever characters just to explore different possibilities and mindsets, because it fascinates me). But I would never try to bend the world and setting of WoW to my fantasy that much. It does no credit to the creators of this world where I have been partly at home some years ago.

I, too, have been a long time lurker on this thread. I absolutely adore WoW lore and art, and am a fanartist myself (no posts here, don't panic). I'm even having a WoW fancomic in 'development' right now, getting down to basics of what I'm allowed to do so Blizz won't bring down their wrath on me and close it once I start it.

The one thing I learned is to respect the work you're doing fanart of. My problem with Rachel's art isn't that she interprets the races in her own way, creates home planets for the Draenei (which I'm sure Blizzard already created, it's mentioned in a couple of books), and so on and so forth. I'm sure a lot of artists interpret the WoW setting in their own way and style, and like to add their own touches to it. Just do a search of WoW original characters on Deviantart (not the best example, mind you), or hell, look at Looking For Group webcomic - they are a blatant Blizz ripoff that managed to pass under the legal radar god knows how.
    No, own interpretation isn't the issue that we mind, I believe. It's the fact that on several occasions, Rachel, and forgive me please if it looks like I'm attacking you personally, but some posts go along the lines of "Blizzard knows nothing of this particular thing (see: Worgen issue, female body shapes, etc), and they should learn from me". Personally, I believe that as long as you're not working for Blizzard, you DO have the right to say you're unhappy with their depiction of races or genders (a lot of people do it), but you DO NOT have the right to claim Blizz should learn from you or apply your designs. It's fun and games to design your own interpretation, and I'm sure everyone who has gotten in a fight here agrees that they look great, but the line is drawn at the moment we're being shown things that look NOTHING like something Blizzard would design, or has ever designed, and we're being told it's how they SHOULD design them.
    No, they shouldn't. Because it's their setting, and theirs alone. If they want draenei females to be petite, skinny and with proportionate eyes, then that's how draenei should be, and your interpretation of draenei is yours and yours alone. Some of us like your worgen, your draenei, your pandaren females, your pandaren face designs, your creature designs, and so on and so forth, and it's fine to depict them in your style as long as you drop the "it's how they SHOULD be, Blizz knows NOTHING" attitude.
    Now, I hope I didn't offend Rachel or look like I'm here to personally attack her, but it seems this is the only thing that's causing everyone to argue and quit. Rachel is a great artist, with great ideas and style, just... Tone down the "improvement" of Blizz's setting and style, and everyone will be happy, I'm sure. And add NSFW warnings at start of posts for the people who are offended by breasts, even if smooth as Barbies.

My two cents. Now, maybe I'll share some of my own work if I manage to make that number of required posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darKaiK View Post
    Well following the Panda Theme, here is my contribution, i know it's not a drawing, but im better at this then i am at drawing.

Oh wow, are those 3D renders or real-life crafted objects? Love those anyway.

http://ortheka.deviantart.com/
    My DeviantArt...

Quote Originally Posted by Ortheka View Post
    Oh wow, are those 3D renders or real-life crafted objects? Love those anyway.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ka-d4tekzq.png
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...ka-d4u70zp.png

http://ortheka.deviantart.com
    My DeviantArt...
    Those are 3d renders, the quality is somewhat crappy because it had to do a fast render.

Those are 3d renders, the quality is somewhat crappy because it had to do a fast render.
    Which program do you use?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Which program do you use?
    I use 3dStudio Max, tried Maya, but just didn't liked it.

Do you import them into any other programs for digital sculpting like Mudbox, or is the detail on the model itself in Max? If it's in Max itself I can see why you did a quick render, it must be incredibly high poly count to get that type of smooth edge.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Do you import them into any other programs for digital sculpting like Mudbox, or is the detail on the model itself in Max? If it's in Max itself I can see why you did a quick render, it must be incredibly high poly count to get that type of smooth edge.
    It's Max all the way.
    (whisper)I'll tell you a secret, the surface on the models is really smooth, and doesn't have any bumps or what so ever, the details you see there are made by the diferent shades in the texture (wood texture let's put it that way), and putting that same wood texture as a map, for bump therefore giving it the look that what is darker is a depression in the material.

Also had to do a quick render because i was at work, and that is definitly, not work related xD

It's Max all the way.
    (whisper)I'll tell you a secret, the surface on the models is really smooth, and doesn't have any bumps or what so ever, the details you see there are made by the diferent shades in the texture (wood texture let's put it that way), and putting that same wood texture as a map, for bump therefore giving it the look that what is darker is a depression in the material.

Also had to do a quick render because i was at work, and that is definitly, not work related xD
    Ah, I figured that if it was quick you would be using bump and specular maps to give it the illusion of depth if you wanted to have it rendered in any reasonable amount of time. Looking around the edges of the model where you can usually see some of the "corners" textures can't cover up well, it looks incredibly smooth, which is why I thought it might have been worked on a bit in Mudbox. The wood grain specular map is beautiful by the way, it looks incredibly natural which can be tricky with reflections on more organic looking things. Much respect <3

Currently working on a commission for a shadow priestess, and trying out a new style. I understand the forum has a no nudity policy, so hopefully my censorship is enough ^^. If not, feel free to remove it.

http://i.imgur.com/464ng.png

10+ Year Old Account
    High five!

edit-

Just finished some monster-y art related to WoW:

One of my fav questlines in Wrath of the Lich King was the bit in Grizzly Hills where you track down and eventually fight Ursoc, one of the twin bear demigods, who has been reincarnated by his furbolg followers using the dark power of Yogg-Saron. They quickly discover that it is a bad idea to attempt to resurrect your demigod using the black blood of the Old God of Death.

I had the idea that some unscrupulous furbolg might also attempt to resurrect Ursoc's brother, Ursol, with disastrous results:

Bigger version here. Shur'nab, Yogg-Saron!
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2012-04-09 at 08:19 AM.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account

Wink Maya is a good program

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darKaiK
    High five!
    Pfff..
    Well I guess someone has to take side for Maya here so that's some work of mine made with it: :P
    Since I'm new and not allowed to link the pictures directly some links to my DA.

Night elf Sentinel:
    plehnard.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3dit1j
    plehnard.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d327hp7

Self portrait of my formal character (don't play anymore)
    plehnard.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d40jsga

Starcraft Kerrigan fan art (slight nudity)
    plehnard.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4obl4h

Two more pieces of landscape art. They are admittedly, earlier works. My 2nd an 3rd coloured drawings ever made on photoshop, as opposed to the other ones which were along the lines of 5th and 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post

Thanks for my new desktop wallpapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabtheshaman View Post
    Thanks for my new desktop wallpapers.
    You're very much welcome. I'm glad people actually think they're good

Some reallly awesome pictures here, keep it up wish I was reasonably talented at Art