Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    why would it replace fireball? there's really no talents that specifically prop up or support FFB, especially with fireball's reduced cast time, whereas frost's whole schtick is weaving other spells in during frostburn.
    read hot streak tooltip
    also ffb has the same castime now as fireball

it doesnt have to be optimal to be included, which should be obvious by now

On fire, the only spec I care about:

2set: 5% crit chance on pyro's. It's not wow, but it's nice to have.
    4 set: 10% haste on fireball. I assume this will make both crit and mastery more desirable than haste as we get 10% for free. Crit will increase damage and leads to ignite and HS procs which in turn get affected by our mastery.

Flame orb: instant spells are nice.
    LB: explosion on 3 targets: I can live with that. LB limited to 3 targets: makes me a sad panda.
    Pyromaniac: 2% haste when 3 targets are affected with dots. I doubt I'll take this talent.
    Combustion: looks promising. Some upfront damage followed by a super dot.
    HS+imp HS: I hope this fixes HS when critrates are low.
    Molten shields: A pvp talent got moved around in the tree.

http://www.wowtal.com/#k=eboWFOP.9zi.mage this would be my fire spec the way things look now.
    If somehow mana becomes an issue, I'd leave out blastwave and imp flamestrike and add some points in arcane concentration though I wouldn't like it.

Guessed "rotations"

Flame orb on CB
    Keep up LB
    HS on proc
    Scorch if you haven't had a HS proc in the last 30 seconds (it might be more dps by hard casting pyroblast depending on the damage of the DoT) and when no one else can bring the debuff.
    Fireball filler.

When moving: LB/pyro/fireblast and only then scorches.

Combustion would be used when HS procs and if possible when you just refreshed LB. So you get ignite (possibly higher if pyroblast critted), LB and the pyroblast dot for the maximum fwhooosh.

AoE will be filled with LB, FS (or blastwave when it's off CD), flame orb and the new impact.
    HS proc+LB followed by combustion followed by a new LB which gets spreaded by impact should do a shitload of damage.

Remarks:

I'm still not happy with combustion. Locks get 12% more damage on their talent and would therefor take it even if someone else brings the debuff. Add some mage benefit because it are possibly 3 wasted talent points depending on your raid setup (10 vs 25 man).

Where is fire's promised 10%SP buff. We got 6% via AI, but still no sign of the improved version.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

General:
    We still have to spend 3 talent points to get in-line with other dps casters in term of pushback resistance. Yay for 38 point mages !

Fire:
    Combustion: now instead of granting our next fire spell 100% crit chance it has it's own damage. Woohoo

Hot Streak: it still requires you to crit and we have no idea what chance it has to proc pyro so it most likely will not help at all in reducing fire's crit dependency.

Living bomb: Just lock it to be castable only on one target let Impact ignore it and modify it's damage accordingly.

EDIT: Fix wowtal already, thanks.
    Last edited by Difuid; 2010-09-10 at 09:16 AM.

Deleted
    Just tested: Living bomb can be cast on an unlimited amount of targets. The final explosion will only hit up to 3 targets.

Also... eye candy!

Flame Orb and Curtain of Frost got their graphics changed.

Can't post links so just add http at the beginning of the links

Curtain of Frost: img830.imageshack.us/img830/9632/newcurtain.jpg
    Flame Orb: img4.imageshack.us/img4/4351/newflameorb.jpg

Stop whining. The last time I played my alt mage, living bomb only affected 1 target at a time :P

the fact that FFB was included in the list of spells affected by the bonus leads me to believe it will be worked into the frost rotation when frostburn is up.
    I imagine that it is mainly for Frost since they can use Brain Freeze for instant Frostfire Bolts, hopefully they want to give Frost more of a role in PVE this expansion.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    With that combustion thing now I'd like to have "detonation" ability that instantly converts all dots into one damage burst. Stack a lot of dots, combustion, stack even more, detonate. Would feel more like fire, explosives etc.

Deleted
    I still hope for something better to Arcane before it goes live.
    As it is now there are too many "meh" talents: TotW, Impact, Improved Arcane explosion... Come on, Blizzard, something more fun please...

Quote Originally Posted by Caledur View Post
    Just tested: Living bomb can be cast on an unlimited amount of targets. The final explosion will only hit up to 3 targets.
    Then how do you explain this post from the EJ forums http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t104767-...scussion/p2/?:

"Two confirmations of LBs new behavior from the mage thread:

Confirmation 1: It can only be on three targets at once, casting on a fourth causes whatever the shortest remaining duration one is to be removed. This applies to impact spreading as well.

Confirmation 2: It only hits three targets when it explodes."

10+ Year Old Account
    your X spells crits "have a chance" for Hot Streak.
    still waiting to see numbers. how much is this "chance" ? is it 10%? 50%? how much???

major QQ for 3-target LB restriction =(
    The final explosion will only hit up to 3 targets.
    oh, even worse then.... -_- since it'll be dispelled constantly in pvp, the explosion is what matters to me >_<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    Then how do you explain this post from the EJ forums elitistjerks.com/f75/t104767-fire_cataclysm_discussion/p2/?:

"Two confirmations of LBs new behavior from the mage thread:

Confirmation 1: It can only be on three targets at once, casting on a fourth causes whatever the shortest remaining duration one is to be removed. This applies to impact spreading as well.

Confirmation 2: It only hits three targets when it explodes."
    Sorry, my bad.

Tried it again on Stormwind dummies. Casting a Living Bomb on a 4th target just makes one of the Living Bombs (the one with the shortest remaining duration) disappear with no explosion. I guess the fact that LB doesn't explode when it gets removed fooled me and I didn't see it disappear at all

the fact that FFB was included in the list of spells affected by the bonus leads me to believe it will be worked into the frost rotation when frostburn is up.
    I've made this prediction before but Imma post it again here just cuz I'm cool. Someone datamined a glyph for frostfirebolt that added the dot component back to it. I think that fire is going to add frostfirebolt into their rotation just for that extra dot. Our masteries will effect the dot portion of it, it will get added into combustion and it helps to fix the rotation that is often accused of being boring by adding another spell into the mix that seems to have little use elsewhere come cataclysm.

And about frostburn, I remember blizz saying that with the change to arcane missiles other specs may want to use the spell as well so I guess we will see.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedNublet View Post
    And about frostburn, I remember blizz saying that with the change to arcane missiles other specs may want to use the spell as well so I guess we will see.
    what does this have to do with frostburn? it only affects frost spells and if you spec into brain freeze, you can't use AM anymore.
    BfA Beta Time

Loving the new graphics for Curtain of Frost and Flame Orb.

Anyone got an actual number for the chance of a crit occurring when you don't take the imp. Hot Streak talent?
    Also not sure about the new form of Combustion, did the previous incarnation of it deal the same tick damage but for 10 seconds (so adding 3 ticks to an ignite) or did it just drag the total damage over 10 seconds and give a guarenteed crit? Also be interesting to see if the ignite from the instant combustion damage gets rolled into the 10 second tick, might be that its ignite ends up getting applied after the Combustion effect rolls all previous dots together.

I think fire is looking really good. I don't know about living bomb on three targets... Curtain of frost I am really hoping is some sort of elaborate joke, and we'll all have a laugh when they replace it with something I would actually consider putting on my action bar.

I'm actually still sort of worried about that Totalbiscuit video where he was completely out of mana the entire instance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    I think fire is looking really good. I don't know about living bomb on three targets... Curtain of frost I am really hoping is some sort of elaborate joke, and we'll all have a laugh when they replace it with something I would actually consider putting on my action bar.

I'm actually still sort of worried about that Totalbiscuit video where he was completely out of mana the entire instance.
    he was playing in a way which ran him OOM on trash, it is not a playstyle indicative of actual mana management. i could spam flamestrike, blastwave, and LB on everything also and be OOM the entire time. if he played it better, using only one LB and impact to spread it, he would not run OOM at all.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    he was playing in a way which ran him OOM on trash, it is not a playstyle indicative of actual mana management. i could spam flamestrike, blastwave, and LB on everything also and be OOM the entire time. if he played it better, using only one LB and impact to spread it, he would not run OOM at all.
    I beg to differ. Mana is a real issue on the Beta right now, even on single target.

Pyroblast mana cost: 3831 Mana
    Fire blast mana cost: 3657 Mana
    Flamestrike mana cost: 5225 Mana
    Fireball mana cost: 2786 Mana
    Living Bomb mana cost: 3831 Mana
    Time Warp mana cost: 4528 Mana
    Mirror Images mana cost: 1741 Mana

My total mana pool at level 85 in mostly level 80 gear is 57,000. Crit chance is very very low (18%) due to outdated gear, therefore Master of Element procs are very rare.

It will obviously get better with gear upgrades, but at the moment even single target dps is mana intensive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caledur View Post
    I beg to differ. Mana is a real issue on the Beta right now, even on single target.

Pyroblast mana cost: 3831 Mana
    Fire blast mana cost: 3657 Mana
    Flamestrike mana cost: 5225 Mana
    Fireball mana cost: 2786 Mana
    Living Bomb mana cost: 3831 Mana
    Time Warp mana cost: 4528 Mana
    Mirror Images mana cost: 1741 Mana

My total mana pool at level 85 in mostly level 80 gear is 57,000. Crit chance is very very low (18%) due to outdated gear, therefore Master of Element procs are very rare.

It will obviously get better with gear upgrades, but at the moment even single target dps is mana intensive.
    still far more mana efficient than spamming flamestrike, which is almost double fireball's mana cost. also, 1 LB+1 fireblast= 7,488 mana, and that would have been enough mana to multi-DoT an infinite amount of mobs at the time of that video (only 3 right now). compare that to just 2 LB (7,622 mana), 3 LB (11,493 mana), or 4 LB (15,234 mana) and you see why he was running OOM on every pull. also, i don't know why you're listing pyroblast's mana cost since hot streak makes it mana free.
    BfA Beta Time

Not sure if it's relevant to the ongoing discussion, but here's some dummy testing (frost mage) from the latest build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRIhopKsI-M

(Yes, my mage is Night Elf atm.)

My YouTube channel - Beta videos & raid videos!

15+ Year Old Account
    so wanna enlighten me on what "Visionary" is?
    BfA Beta Time