Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    I think Infinity Ward got a lot of negative criticism over one of the scenes in Modern Warfare 2, where in one of the missions you play undercover as a terrorist and slaughter civilians. It didn't warrant for the game to be banned in the U.S. though.

And couldn't you play as German forces in most WW2-based games to being with?
    Well yea, we always used to play as the good guys in video games. Now there's more games allowing us to play as both sides, I guess some take it too far too soon, I could see playing the Taliban in 10 or so years but now may be way too soon for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Mijen View Post
    Ah, I see.

Yes, there are games that allow you to play as Nazi soldiers. Those succede only because those directly effected by the actions of which the games are based are no longer a majority.

However, since this is a current issue, most people have been effected in some way and are still being effected.

While I dont think it should be banned, I dont think it is the proper time for something like this to be released. It personally made me a little sick at the stomach thinking about playing as a Taliban, killing Americans, Europeans, anyone in the name of fun.

For those of you not actually thinking about the real issue, Ill use another example.

5 minutes ago you caught your girlfriend having sex with Julio. (Theyre still going at it.)
    Your neighbor comes over and lets you know he has the entire thing on cam.
    He assures you that Julio, the men's thong model, has a very good story and offers to show you. What do you do?

I could see how people get offended. But it really isn't directed towards them, and I wouldn't call killing soldiers in the name of the fun, as they are pixels, and they call us taking a game too seriously. Just like books and movies, games tell us a story. This story just happens to be of the Taliban, and how the creators of the game thing it would be to be a Taliban. I think that them banning it is too far. But then again, they shouldn't be allowing us to play as the bad guys while the current issue is still going on. But if I get around to it, I'll play as that side anyway. It's not going to change my view on America, it's probably not going to change my view on the Taliban.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    For nearly two decades, elected officials have tried to regulate which video games you can buy, rent and play. Every single time they’ve passed a law, the federal courts have struck it down as unconstitutional. But this may change this fall.

It's important to make our voices heard and to spread the word to our friends, family and fellow gamers.

Sign the Petition

http://www.action.theeca.com/p/dia/a...ction_KEY=1781

No this isn't spam, yes this is serious. If you care about your hobby, you'll check it out.

Sep 14 is the day they decide...
    The rest of the world laughs at the US censor, but finds it shows what a hypocritical nation it is. You are forsaking freedoms and priveligies because of narrow-minded hate and fear.

People don't understand what games are, yet they try to dictate what they think they should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    The rest of the world laughs at the US censor, but finds it shows what a hypocritical nation it is. You are forsaking freedoms and priveligies because of narrow-minded hate and fear.

People don't understand what games are, yet they try to dictate what they think they should be.
    I wouldn't say the rest. There's tons of countries that have it far worst. Some don't have video games, some don't even know what a video game is. China not allowing skeletons and all of the dead/evil stuff. I don't see our censorship being that bad. Except in music and TV, censoring words that people, even kids, know like the back of their hand is so 1990's. But then again, living in it for so long, I probably don't have a strong opinion as someone living in a whole other society would.

Ah, I see.

Yes, there are games that allow you to play as Nazi soldiers. Those succede only because those directly effected by the actions of which the games are based are no longer a majority.

However, since this is a current issue, most people have been effected in some way and are still being effected.

While I dont think it should be banned, I dont think it is the proper time for something like this to be released. It personally made me a little sick at the stomach thinking about playing as a Taliban, killing Americans, Europeans, anyone in the name of fun.
    I think you are confusing the Taliban with Al Queda. The Taliban haven't done anything outside of Afganistan really, I don't think any went to Iraq but I'm not positive. Yes the Taliban supported Al Queda and let them set up training camps and those certainly needed to be shut down, but they didn't commit the acts of 9/11 or other terrorist actions in the world. The only Americans and Europeans they have killed have been the ones in Afganistan. Which are an invading army since it is their country and they were the ruling government of Afganistan, regardless of if you agree with their actions. They certainly aren't the nicest people in the world, but they aren't as bad as Bin Laden and his bunch, and they have gotten softer over the years, though thats mostly from getting their asses handed to them by America.

I tend to lump them together seeing as they openly supported and harbored them until very recently.

So, what exactly are you arguing?
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

I tend to lump them together seeing as they openly supported and harbored them until very recently.

So, what exactly are you arguing?
    And the United States has openly supported dictators and terrorist regimes as well before, Saddam for one. So thats not really a reason to lump them together.

Maybe I misunderstood what you had posted thinking you had meant something one way when you meant it another. Basically when you said you didn't like the idea of playing a Taliban killing Americans and Europeans for fun I took it as you meaning like the Taliban are killing soldiers for fun, 'shits and giggles' if you will. However when you said fun maybe you had meant the game itself, like the actual person having fun doing that.

Since I thought you meant the first thats why I was pointing out that the Taliban and Al Queda aren't the same or always have the same views so the Taliban might not kill Americans as a fun factor like Al Queda would. I'm sure thats not how the developers intend for it to be portrayed. My guess is they mean it more as a 'man defending his homeland' then a 'killing those white devils etc' way.

However when you said fun maybe you had meant the game itself, like the actual person having fun doing that.
    Correct.

So thats not really a reason to lump them together.
    Views change with time, as do people and countries. However Al Queda and the Taliban still shared several known connections until the last year or so. That isnt quite enough time for me to un-lump them. And certainly is not long enough for me to want take a walk in their shoes.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

15+ Year Old Account

Views change with time, as do people and countries. However Al Queda and the Taliban still shared several known connections until the last year or so. That isnt quite enough time for me to un-lump them. And certainly is not long enough for me to want take a walk in their shoes.

And that is, of course, your opinion, as it is with others. I don't exactly want to walk in their shoes too but if it's on a game, I might as well play it. No one is forcing you or the US military to play it. Banning it just does nothing. The war is all based on religion anyway. Which is why it wont effect me at all if and when I play the game. :3

Video games aren't going anywhere.

This thread and its veiws is stoopeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I would kill a old god.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really, please just keep the politics out. If you'd like to discuss them, please feel free to do so via PM.