Nether Ward working with Nether Protection

•Nether Protection slightly revamped - After being hit with a spell while using Nether Ward, you gain Nether Protection, reducing all damage by that spell school by 15/30% for 8 sec. Nether Protection can only occur once per Nether Ward.

Doing this is nerfing nether protection more then what they already have. warlock have no way of protecting there buff or debuffs, affliction use to have someting to protect there debuffs, but i dont see it on the cata build. so when i pop Nether Ward mage will spell steal it or it will get dispel. im just saying give us a way to protect are buffand debuffs if your going to make us work that way.
    Last edited by sonfire; 2010-09-10 at 11:12 PM.

Even if this was undispellable, it's still ridiculously weak. Nether protection, soul leach, siphon life and the empowered imp proc rate are all jokes in their current implementation.

If nether ward can be stolen by spells-teal then it will really suck on top of the fact that it has a 30 sec cd.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can prob be spell stolen, but the 8s proc will still be there.

But yeah, Mages were, are, and will always be OP in PvP... If they weren't so boring I'd play mine.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I was wondering what happens if you just put a point into the nether ward talent and don't get the nether protection talent? Does that mean that nether ward will absorb any spell school for the same amount that shadow ward would absorb shadow spells?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mei View Post
    I was wondering what happens if you just put a point into the nether ward talent and don't get the nether protection talent? Does that mean that nether ward will absorb any spell school for the same amount that shadow ward would absorb shadow spells?
    Yes and it scales with spell power...

That combined with nether protection is really nice for pve, more control. If only they would reduce the cd to 15 sec now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't Mages get something like this too? Didn't they get their fire/frost wards consolidated into a "Mage ward" or something that also absorbs all forms of magic? I'm too lazy to check, but pretty sure they did.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Didn't Mages get something like this too? Didn't they get their fire/frost wards consolidated into a "Mage ward" or something that also absorbs all forms of magic? I'm too lazy to check, but pretty sure they did.
    Yes and they even have a talent to proc 50% speed boost for 8 seconds when it absorbs damage in Fire tree

Change to Nether Protection is a big + for PvE and a huge - for PvP (we all know what enemy class benefits most from this change >.> )
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

If the PTR client is to be believed, Nether Ward is a baseline ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Secht View Post
    If the PTR client is to be believed, Nether Ward is a baseline ability.
    Actually when u spec into Nether Ward your Shadow Ward morphs into Nether Ward , thats why u have it in your spellbook as greyed out spell (not yet learned)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    Yes and they even have a talent to proc 50% speed boost for 8 seconds when it absorbs damage in Fire tree

Change to Nether Protection is a big + for PvE and a huge - for PvP (we all know what enemy class benefits most from this change >.> )
    Just the clear things up:

Mage:

(base)Mage Ward:
    30 sec cd
    Absorbs : Arcane, Fire, Frost
    Synergy:
    (Molten Shields) If removed by damage it procs blazing speed.

Warlock:

(talent)Nether Ward:
    30sec cd
    Absorbs: Arcane, Holy!, Fire, Frost, Nature, Shadow
    Synergy:
    (Nether Protection) On hit 15/30% reduction to damage from that school of magic for 8 secs. Once per ward.

So yeah a mage can run away from a caster, while you gain damage reduction which also prolongs your ward's life(we all know which enemy classes will suck against you >.>)

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    Actually when u spec into Nether Ward your Shadow Ward morphs into Nether Ward , thats why u have it in your spellbook as greyed out spell (not yet learned)
    Guessing that it's presence in the spellbook over shadow ward is just a bug then?

Well... I hope not ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Secht View Post
    Guessing that it's presence in the spellbook over shadow ward is just a bug then?

Well... I hope not ;P
    It says trainable because you aren't specced into it. It's not baseline. It's a bug.