Page 1 of 32
... LastLast

4.0 PTR Character Copy up

**ALERT**

World of Warcraft Patch 4.0.1 has hit the Public Test Realms.

Server Status: Offline

The Character Copy page is accepting transfers, however it won't work at the moment as servers are not yet online. Please wait until confirmation before attempting to transfer your characters, lest they get lost in the Nether.

The new and improved Cataclysm Launcher is now available for download. You may need to download this launcher from scratch. Be warned however that the client weighs in at 15.6 Gigabytes.

For US/Oceanic players: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/ptr/
    For European players: http://www.wow-europe.com/ptr/

The new launcher in action: http://img9.imageshack.us/f/ptrlauncher.jpg/

The initial updater has a habit of sticking at 4% for a while too, this is normal. It will eventually skip to 100% and start the download process.

The updater seems to be a little buggy, don't be surprised if it acts extremely odd.

If you are getting a message stating "The installer does not need to be applied. It requires a version of "Wow.exe" older than 4.0.0.12635, but you already have version 4.0.1.12942.", your Cataclysm Beta installation is conflicting with your PTR installation attempt. You can rename the Beta folder to something else and it should allow you to install the PTR.

One last thing, you should let the launcher update non-stop until it finishes, and make sure to run it in Administrator mode. There is a chance it may lose data if you try to play the game when it's not completed, and you may have to re-download gigabytes of data, and I found out the hard way that if you don't run it in Administrator mode, it can get stuck at the very end of the 'Available' section and keep downloading data, but not actually apply it to the installation.
    Last edited by ethzero; 2010-09-12 at 11:37 AM.

It was removed by our favorite forum administrator (take a guess). (adys)

Continue speaking!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    It was removed by our favorite forum administrator (take a guess). (adys)

Continue speaking!
    Pointless removal.

Anyhow, I'm eager to see the official statement from Blizzard regarding this. Cata release might be a lot closer then we think!

lol i wonder why it was removed
    still installing the actualy 16gb jeez
    cant wait to see if it's actual 4.0 (pre-events)
    or the open beta itself

How log did the wotlk pre patch PTR stay up before the actual release of wotlk. I could have sworn it was up the last 2 weeks before the patch went live but I am unsure.

Fine, let me retoast my post:

The current patch on Public Test Realms is 4.0.1.12941.
    The current patch on Beta Test Realms is 4.0.1.12942.

There is no (nor will there ever be) a patch 3.9

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Pointless removal.

Anyhow, I'm eager to see the official statement from Blizzard regarding this. Cata release might be a lot closer then we think!
    I certainly hope so, the stagnation of content on live must end!
    "No! I must kill the worgens" he shouted
    The whisper said "No, John. You are the worgens"
    And then John was a werewolf.

I wouldn't say pointless, there was a lot of flaming over patch 3.9/4.0. Deleting posts was needed, maybe not a deletion.

On topic; The ptr downloaders giving me the 4.0 version, so it could be coming up any day now.

I don't know much about data mining, but is there any information someone could get from the ptr patch ?

Fine, let me retoast my post:

The current patch on Public Test Realms is 4.0.1.12941.
    The current patch on Beta Test Realms is 4.0.1.12942.

There is no (nor will there ever be) a patch 3.9
    Is this the reason that I got an error when trying to download it? Since this is PTR will it be open testing? not very experienced with PTR such things

Quote Originally Posted by Somerandomhobo View Post
    I wouldn't say pointless, there was a lot of flaming over patch 3.9/4.0. Deleting posts was needed, maybe not a deletion.

On topic; The ptr downloaders giving me the 4.0 version, so it could be coming up any day now.

I don't know much about data mining, but is there any information someone could get from the ptr patch ?
    I've already looked through the patch, but seeing I only have it downloaded for about 10% I can't really see anything interesting.

Though I can confirm that the Worgen + Goblin + Cataclysm Cinematics are NOT in this Patch.

It's pretty much similar to the current beta patch in every other way, except that it saves all the old world data since it's being used up to the actual Cata release.

Wow, if any of this has a fraction of truth, we could see it live in a month to a month and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerandomhobo View Post

The PTR build is 12941 while the current beta build is 12942. So it's unlikely that it contains more stuff than the beta (and db.mmo-champion.com should contain most data mined information from that)
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by glorithan View Post
    Is this the reason that I got an error when trying to download it? Since this is PTR will it be open testing? not very experienced with PTR such things
    Keep retrying, download servers are pretty unstable at the moment.

Patch 3.0 was released on 10-14-2008, 1 month before Lich King. It had been on the PTR for at least 4-6 weeks.

Keep retrying, download servers are pretty unstable at the moment.
    Ty for the response. Ill do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    Patch 3.0 was released on 10-14-2008, It had been on the PTR for at least 4 weeks.
    truth
    well boys see u on the other side
    if anything does occur SOON we can make an assumption that
    the 14th is their favorite day lol

i smell open beta by the end of this month
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    Patch 3.0 was released on 10-14-2008, 1 month before Lich King. It had been on the PTR for at least 4-6 weeks.
    This is another nod to the November release rumor then.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

The PTR is actually up, I think. I just started downloading the PTR client and it says patch 4.0.-something. I also already copied two characters.
    Also, the two realms up are Brill (PvE) and Naralex(?) (PvP) as usual... I think.

If you don't believe me then I'll gladly take screenshots.

Deleted
    Patch 4.0 (PTR) is indeed downloading for me. Hold on to your hats, lads! I think the release is getting closer!