Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

PTR, Hunters...What Say You?

With the PTR now available for public consumption, we hunters can now test some of our new abilities...and more importantly, Focus.

My personal impression? I feel like a complete noob again. I've especially had problems with the idea of Arcane Shot becoming a focus dump. I'm just not used to the idea of being able to use an ability but actually having to show restraint! Practicing on a dummy, I found it extremely difficult to use Chimera Shot/Explosive Shot when the cooldown ended because I had used all my focus on Arcane shot. Either that or I barely used Arcane shot and became focused on watching for when the cooldown on the other shots ended. This will take some learning...

Unfortunately, I didn't get to use multishot on groups of mobs yet, as the PTR client crashed as I was flying to my destination. So what does everyone else think? It should certainly make the same old boring ICC run a little more interesting when it goes live!

Pah...Cant get in the PTR, crappy net right now due to me moving etc.

But i can imagine what you mean about the focus, like playing a new class which starts out at level 80 or so (unless you start new). Maybe should start a new hunter to get used to the changes? that way you haven't got tons of skills to worry about and when to use them.

I'm doing ok with MM. Survival is proving to be very difficult, but at the moment, I've actually taken to playing Survival without using Explosive Shot at all, and pumping the target full of Arcane Shots with LnL procs. It seems to work, but not as well as MM. I haven't had a chance to try out BM.

This is going to take a huge amount of getting used to, and I'll be eager to have addons such as Powerauras in working order once again so I can track things such as the 'Ready, Aim' stacks for instant Aimed Shot.

To be perfectly honest... I really like it. It's fresh, it's new. Survival seems a bit awkward like I said, but I am really enjoying MM. It really is like playing a new class, but my DPS so far has been fairly terrific, now that I'm starting to get a hang of it.

Oh, and also having my ArP gems turned into crit gems = lol.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2010-09-12 at 09:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's worth noting haste quickens your resource gain.

Copying characters is taking a long time, but wow, low level hunters are super powerful right now with machine gunning arcane shot. Everyone on the PTR was attributing the ease to having a pet, but it's arcane shot that's making it so awesome. Pet isn't even getting there in time to dps a lot of the time. A two second steady shot is unexpectedly annoying. I'm used to the <1.5 second cast as a BM on live. Dead zone is still in and there seem to be a lot of bugs with pre-level 10 pets getting stuck on aggressive (I didn't experience it, but there were a lot of complaints in general). There are a lot of buggy quests and quest givers too, but I attribute that to being the PTR. Just a little odd given that these are the quests that have been there for six years, not new ones.

I'm sure I'll have more to say when my 80 gets there.

Still waiting on my 80 to be copied, so I created a low level toon and well it didn't really do it justice with only arcane shot and steady shot at level 3 when everything dies in 5 seconds anyawys....though arcane shot is quite op at low levels. I'm looking forward to when my 80finally gets copied.

I was confused as to why my attacks were hitting so low until I realized I was sitting at 70% crit with all crit gems.

damn you Blizzard

I hadn't tested out Surv yet, but MM I was holding @ about 7.5k dps on a dummy w/9k Burst. My BM spec tho didn't have any issues holding 8.2k DPS w/12k Burst.

(Burst being self cast abilities. Not using Bloodlust w/BM spec. Only Rapid Fire & TBW)

I'm missing out on my +hit w/the change to talents. a good 3% tanked. So I'll be setting aside enough Hit gems to get back to cap for last raids before cata.

For some reason, I've trained mastery, but it isn't activating for my hunter like it is for my warrior (The spell book icon still says to go to my trainer, and the Mastery talents in the Talents overview is still greyed out) So theres 20% pet dmg I'm not getting, and the extra shot proc from MM. Suffice to say, I think BM's mastery is gonna edge out as more DPS than MM's.

Bm is on top right now.

---------- Post added 2010-09-13 at 02:42 AM ----------

does this mean we'll be stacking haste/agi gems now?

Quote Originally Posted by The bearer of truths View Post
    Bm is on top right now.

---------- Post added 2010-09-13 at 02:42 AM ----------

does this mean we'll be stacking haste/agi gems now?
    most likely, I grabbed the agil/haste cut for 4.0 when I need to re-gem all my gear

So bm wouldnt be stacking attackpower gems?

attack power gems don't exist in cata. All +40 atk gems get converted int o +20 agi gems.

Focus sucks
    BM is OP
    SV and MM suck

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters are totally getting f'd over, the only class who has to completely relearn our class.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekosom View Post
    I found it extremely difficult to use Chimera Shot/Explosive Shot when the cooldown ended because I had used all my focus on Arcane shot.
    Why would anyone use Arcane Shot when they got Explosive Shot? :P

Deleted
    TBH it all is imense fun. Still trying to get the rotation for MM down, but BM is a whole different story. I mean wow! BM really came with a huge comeback. I'm gonna enjoy raiding now with more use in pet control instead of being an archer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just played WSG on my lvl 10 and got raped by a lvl 10 hunters...I say we are in a good spot atm

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    Hunters are totally getting f'd over, the only class who has to completely relearn our class.
    Completely untrue Tree healing is like completely alien to me now, and the new eclipse for Moonkin is really clunky and strange albeit not as strange as my tree with Efflorescence.
    Signature goes here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsack View Post
    Completely untrue Tree healing is like completely alien to me now, and the new eclipse for Moonkin is really clunky and strange albeit not as strange as my tree with Efflorescence.
    Not to mention Warlocks new soul shards system and holy power with paladins.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferledon View Post
    attack power gems don't exist in cata. All +40 atk gems get converted int o +20 agi gems.
    Oh right so yeah i guess agility, haste and crit would be the main ones now for hunters

Quote Originally Posted by gregd888 View Post
    Focus sounds cool on paper but it was an unnecessary change, mana worked just fine for hunters. BM is getting some much needed love though which is cool.
    Mana didnt fit hunters, they aint a magical class. Hence why they changed it