High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Language Used Within an MMO/MMORPG.

Hey there.

Basically, my second year of A-Level work within English Language, requires me to compile a large investigation on language, in pretty much any context I want.
    I have a large passion for MMORPG's, most prominently, WoW.

Therefore, one idea I have revolves around this passion, and i'm looking for any opinions you lot might have on it;

'An Investigation into how Language can be Used Within an Online Roleplaying Game.'

The title is a WIP, but it effectively covers these wide points, amongst others to be established;

• How language online, varies to RL.
    • How language online can convey emotion without facial recognition.
    • How language online can condone/endorse certain behaviour.
    • How turn-taking, and other linguistic techniques are affected whilst online.
    • "Total D*ckwad Theory" - Evaluation.

Any and all opinions are welcome, on whether this is a reasonable idea, additional points I should cover, etc.

Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Now every expansion, Blizzard releases a new class, or 2 new races into the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Why would someone create malware for a mac? Is there a black market for photo albums of cats and half written novels?

Interesting research idea, but I wonder how you're going to get all the necessary data :-).

I'll think on it, quite interesting. Off the top of my head, I'd answer like this:

[*]How language online, varies to RL.
    More acronyms and phonetic word use. Much, much more.

[*]How turn-taking, and other linguistic techniques are affected whilst online.
    Just depends on how quickly people can type, most of the time. Most people in MMO's don't seem to listen/read, just typing everything themselves since most of the time "they're the ones who know how to play"

[*]How language online can convey emotion without facial recognition.
    See my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

Excellent!

This was an idea I had for my English dissertation (I study English at University level) but thought there's not enough dedicated study on it..

But back to you:

The mere fact that within your post you've used a multitude of abbreviations shows one of the most noticeable factors in the evolution of language for use in an online universe; that of efficiency. The ability to converse at such a quick pace through the use of a text medium has led invariably to a quest to find the fastest and easiest ways to convey meaning. The fact that you wrote "The title is a WIP" proves that alone.

It's a reasonable idea as long as you're not required to make use of secondary sources or outside research - there is some available but it's not really a recognised area of study. (Despite Stephen Fry defending the creation of "txt speak" as simply an evolution of language!)

What I'd suggest you focus on is not how things have changed in terms of language (because that's pretty easy and simple) but *why* things have changed. (I deliberately made use of asterisks there to go along-side your second bullet point - see wut i did thar?)

I could write on this forever but I won't, that's your job! But best of luck with it, it's definitely a highly interesting topic. One thing you could also try is to look (briefly) at how language used to be. The English language derives from germanic and latin origins and can be tracked from early Anglo-Saxon such as Beowulf and The Battle of Maldon (look them up), through Chaucer and Shakespear right up to the modern usage which would be unrecognisable to previous generations. I'd suggest looking at language as an evolution, and once again *why* it is changing to suit an online, instant messaging, text based form of the language.

Best of luck mate, hope these points help!

Not trying to troll but I laughed a little at you using "RL" instead of Real Life in an English study of launguage online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelys View Post
    • How language online, varies to RL.
    Thanks for reading.
    But really, sounds like an interesting project
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Deleted
    sounds interesting

Deleted
    Add in what the language used states about the social expectations. As it is, this looks interesting and I'd give the finished thing a thoroughly good reading.

You might also want to look into how the medium used for online communication affects how people communicate. Do people use more acronyms/shorthand inside of a game than they do when discussing a game on a website? That kind of stuff.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll reply to each post.

Oneru;
    Great post, i'll bare those points in mind. As for data collection, yeah, that's going to be a lengthy process, and will definetly involve a lot of primary research, touching on what BubbaJim has mentioned.

BubbaJim;
    Great post again, those points will be invaluable for my study! The evolution of language, and how it is *changing* to suit the modern generation is a fantastic addition. Really appreciated.

Baz;
    Haha, ironically this study is as much about me and any other online user. Thanks.

Robinhoodexe;
    Thanks.

Cthulhu;
    Great post, and another point i'll be sure to add. You're more than welcome to read the finished project upon completion.

Cluck;
    Good information, again these points are very helpful.

I'll return to this thread at particular milestones in the project, and update anyone who is interested. If that fails however, I could also PM those with an interest.
    Additional points are still welcome!
    Last edited by Raelys; 2010-09-12 at 01:16 PM. Reason: .
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Now every expansion, Blizzard releases a new class, or 2 new races into the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Why would someone create malware for a mac? Is there a black market for photo albums of cats and half written novels?

Quote Originally Posted by Raelys View Post

I'll return to this thread at particular milestones in the project, and update anyone who is interested. If that fails however, I could also PM those with an interest.
    Additional points are still welcome!
    Feel free to PM me at any point, it's definitely an interesting topic to discuss so any pointers, advice or anything really just drop me a message - good luck mate!