Best profession for PvE come Cataclysm

Can anyone help me decide upon which professions I should level on my Warlock for Cataclysm? Going to be 100% PvE focus, zero PvP. Want professions that increases my DPS, but that can also work as a money farmer.

Sorry for posting this, but I haven't read all the profession changes yet - and I assumed someone out here has to have this planned already.

I would have to say Engineering, just for the gadgets and new gems!

Jewelcrafting is always a great money-maker!
    I do apologies for any misspelling, this is mostly because for my mobilephone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Herbalism now has a haste buff and it's a great money maker so... That's one of them!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

Since you wear cloth, tailoring can always help. It allows you to make your spell thread cheaper, which will save you money, it also allows you to make your own gear which saves you money too. Enchanting will give u a dps boost from being able to enchant your rings where no other profession will. Engineering has some nice enchants for you cloak that can up your dps. jewelcrafting allows you to make bigger stat gems for yourself. inscriptions allows you to enchant your shoulders will bigger enchants than you can buy for rep. Hope this helps you make up your mind, there are several out there, you just need to look at what each will give u and decide which one will be the best for you. Also you can make money with jewelcrafting and enchanting, seeing that everyone needs gems and enchants.

Engineering gems? *searches google for important information*

Hm, how does those Hydraulics/Cogwheels sockets work?

---------- Post added 2010-09-12 at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ravemstr View Post
    Herbalism now has a haste buff and it's a great money maker so... That's one of them!
    Thanks for the information, did not know that

Quote Originally Posted by stabbingju View Post
    Since you wear cloth, tailoring can always help. It allows you to make your spell thread cheaper, which will save you money, it also allows you to make your own gear which saves you money too. Enchanting will give u a dps boost from being able to enchant your rings where no other profession will. Engineering has some nice enchants for you cloak that can up your dps. jewelcrafting allows you to make bigger stat gems for yourself. inscriptions allows you to enchant your shoulders will bigger enchants than you can buy for rep. Hope this helps you make up your mind, there are several out there, you just need to look at what each will give u and decide which one will be the best for you. Also you can make money with jewelcrafting and enchanting, seeing that everyone needs gems and enchants.
    True, I'm thinking of the combo of Jewelcrafting/Inscription.

My characters has;
    Paladin: Enchanting/Alchemy
    Rogue: Mining/Herbalism
    Druid: Skinning/Leatherworking
    Warlock: None at the moment.

So Jewelcrafting/Inscription should fit well, shouldn't it due to free resources from mining. And Herbalism feeds my Paladin with mats for Alchemy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fahrfreude View Post

It seems they're for engineering helm customization only. If you look at the engineering helms, they lack statistics (haste, crit...) so you can use the 2 sockets to put those stat on them to make them on par of other heads.

Quote Originally Posted by fahrfreude View Post

It's hard to say for sure, but by the looks of it as it stands right now they only fit into the Engineering-only helmets, making them moot once that's upgraded. That said, Engineering now has an enchant giving you x Intellect for x seconds, similar to Haste on live.

Doesn't sound that tempting with +intellect, would rather have something more static such as the bonuses from JC/Inscription. Thanks for your help anyways guys

In WotLK the stats gained from each trade profession have been equivalent with +-2 stat differences (stats worth of two epic gems after 3.2). Engineering is somewhat hard to measure, but DPS-gain from using bombs and glove-enchant on cooldown yields pretty much the same DPS-gain, in some cases a little higher. Mining and skinning give the same benefit, but they are very inflexible (only one choice of stat, which is typically undesirable).

I think we can expect the same trend to continue in Cataclysm (profession preview gives JC a benefit of 123 stamina and mining 120 stamina, while enchanting gives 150, but I believe those numbers are unfinished). Thus the value of profession is mostly determined by how flexible it is, and what other benefits does it give:
    * Blacksmithing and jewelcrafting allow you to get exactly the statistics you want: If one stat is better than intellect/strength/agility (enchanting, leatherworking, alchemy, tailoring), it will be better. Example: If expertise is valued at 1.1 strength, you get 10% more out of JC/BS.
    * Inscription, enchanting and jewelcrafting have high and sustained gold-making potential if you are willing to set up an industry and compete in free market. Depending on the realm, alchemy might have too, but there are a lot of players thinking that herbs they gather themselves are "free", thus flooding the market with potions below their material price.
    * Alchemy and tailoring have their cooldowns (transmutes, cloth), allowing them to make extremely high profit per time spent.
    * Indirect gold gained: Mixology halves the need for flasks (however, 2xElixirs are probably going to be better in Cataclysm, and you're unlikely to use their increased duration in progression-raids), and inscription/leatherworking/tailoring/engineering enchants will probably be cheaper than the best equivalent enchant. In addition, enchanters can take advantage of disenchanting BoP-items, such as quest rewards or gear they no longer use.
    * BoP-Items: There doesn't seem to be a new version of endless healing/mana potions, but they seem to remain. Alchemists also get an alchemist stone that will probably be usable for some time. Engineers get an epic helmet, and an access to their multiple, even though situational, gadgets.
    * Item-crafting: If you craft items yourself, the only thing you spend is your own time. You can also sell crafts to other players, but be warned: If the recipe is not free, you are most likely going to lose gold overall. Example: ICC-crafting recipes cost one primordial saronite, which typically was 2-3kg at launch. Even if you crafted the item for yourself, at 200g/craft price you'd still have to sell 10-15 of them (unlikely). It is POSSIBLE to make profit by crafting, but free market typically sets prices to "not worth it: it's better to transmute a gem in a day".

With those in mind, alchemy and inscription will probably remain the cheapest professions to level, while blacksmithing, engineering and jewelcrafting the most expensive. However, I understand those issues are getting addressed, and there will be a lot of players leveling in Azeroth and Outland, thus reducing the material costs (in addition to flying in Azeroth greatly increasing the speed at which high level character can mine).
    Last edited by Therastos; 2010-09-12 at 04:03 PM.