Thread: Mend Pet

Mend Pet

So I wrote a topic about this on the PTR forums but I wanted to see what you guys thought about this idea.

So I ended up on the PTR yesterday and I noticed that Mend Pet was basically healing for the same. I saw on the wowhead spell page for mend pet that at 85 the coefficient for healing was basically unchanged.

I've seen tweets from people in the beta who, in questing blue's at 85, have about 70-80k health. Assuming out pets get most of that, our pet would be around the same.

My mend pet on Live and PTR @ 80 (With Spirit Bond, Glyph of Mending, and Blood of the Rhino) heals for ~2264. The coefficient on the wowhead page @ 85 is only increased by about 100.

A 2264 heal on a pet that @ 85 will have 80k health is... very small.

Here's my suggestion: Make Mend Pet based on max health.

Basically change mend pet to: "Heals your pet for 30% of it's max health over 10 sec."

This would make it so, no matter how much health the pet has, or what level it is, it would always benefit from a stronger.

I would love to hear from a dev on how they plan to improve mend pet to help it scale better with the increased pool of cataclysm.

~ Bliky

PS: Link to the WoW forum topic: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...d=267234423222

I think it's worth waiting until blizzard has finished tweaking numbers. I have a feeling mend pet isn't at the top of their list.

Deleted
    What zabuu said.

Beta is Beta and everything can/is subject to change. Just wait till release before coming out with hotfixing ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandurin View Post
    What zabuu said.

Beta is Beta and everything can/is subject to change. Just wait till release before coming out with hotfixing ideas.
    Yes, I'm well aware that things like this can change, and that they probably will but I'm thinking that they will change it to still be a flat amount. That flat amount will probably not be enough of a heal come half way through, or even the end of the expansion which is why I suggested this.

And no, I'm not QQing about mend pet being a weak heal, I'm just suggesting a way to make it better.

~ Bliky

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliky View Post
    And no, I'm not QQing about mend pet being a weak heal, I'm just suggesting a way to make it better.
    I would QQ about it being a weak heal, it isn't even very good on live. The entire point of Beta is to raise concerns and have them addressed before release, not to allow it to happen, and then bitch a ton on live until they patch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zabuu View Post
    I think it's worth waiting until blizzard has finished tweaking numbers. I have a feeling mend pet isn't at the top of their list.
    ^ This.

On a side note, it would be cool yo add in an ability to either heal you pet and yourself (weak heal, long CD) OR (I like this one more) Trade health from your pet to you for a heal (only for like 30-40% of your HP)

Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    ^ This.

On a side note, it would be cool yo add in an ability to either heal you pet and yourself (weak heal, long CD) OR (I like this one more) Trade health from your pet to you for a heal (only for like 30-40% of your HP)
    Devour Pet
    2 min CD, Channeled
    You eat your pet alive, healing 30% of your health over 5 sec in return for your 30% of your pet's.

Quote Originally Posted by bamfrosty View Post
    Devour Pet
    2 min CD, Channeled
    You eat your pet alive, healing 30% of your health over 5 sec in return for your 30% of your pet's.
    Wouldn't that be more like, "You gnaw on a part of your pet, healing..." rather than eating it whole?
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri (Blue Tracker)
    What you're experiencing is world PvP on a PvP realm. I realize that it's not for everyone, but it's not something that we plan to adjust. The harsh reality is that life on a PvP realm can be difficult, and if you aren't prepared for the rigors of playing on such a realm, then it's probably in your best interest to transfer to a normal realm, or, if you cannot afford that, then consider creating a new character on a normal realm.
    Grim Campfire

Quote Originally Posted by Emaluri View Post
    Wouldn't that be more like, "You gnaw on a part of your pet, healing..." rather than eating it whole?
    No you'd have to summon a new pet. Its why Blizz is giving us the ability to call in more pets.....

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliky View Post
    I've seen tweets from people in the beta who, in questing blue's at 85, have about 70-80k health. Assuming out pets get most of that, our pet would be around the same.
    These are my stats in Beta - im in Blue(lvl 80-83)/ICC Epic gear at lvl 85 (keep in mind Uldum and Twilight Highlands have no rewards atm.) My HP could be a lot higher but i've banked some quest gear to try reach the hit cap for dummy testing.

Char HP: 66,257
    Pet HP: 35,803
    Mend Pet: 1,472 ticks

This is as Beast Mastery spec (no points in Spirit Bond) and 2 points in Great Stamina.

as said above, numbers aren't yet tweaked and GC said we would see this happening in the next several weeks - they want to test mechanics atm, the damage out put is apparently one of the easiest things to change from their side.

Edit: I think a better solution, rather than healing for a % of max health would be to have Mend pet scale with RAP (or scale better if it already does, im honestly not sure)
    Last edited by Agrivat3d; 2010-09-13 at 01:58 AM.

To die would be a grand adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Agrivat3d View Post
    Edit: I think a better solution, rather than healing for a % of max health would be to have Mend pet scale with RAP (or scale better if it already does, im honestly not sure)
    Scaling with RAP could lead to tricky situations at endgame stat levels.. I sincerely doubt that Blizz wants hunter pets acting as main tanks in raids, which is probably one of the reasons why Blizz hates buffing Mend Pet -_-;; Besides, it makes more sense to base it off of max hp since that means it would automagically scale with your pet rather than your hunter. As long as it ticks somewhere in the range of 5-10k, I will be happy and not particularly care about how it functions as long as it functions. ^^;;

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well it depends what the coefficient is. Healing for 30% HP could be considered "op", pets can tank bosses now, but theres not a lot of point past fun because theyre hard to control and slow to act (even with new pet move.)

They've said that gear wont scale to the extent it has in Wrath, as the iLvls went beyond what they had planned, at least from what I understand. Both of the solutions would work, I guess I would just prefer it to scale with RAP rather than always be a fixed amount.

To die would be a grand adventure!

It would be easier on their end for Blizz to balance based on Stam/maxHP rather than AP as well. There are far fewer effects that boost Stam/HP during combat for hunters than effects that boost AP, and most are the longer term effects like BoK/GotW rather than short term procs (of which there are many which affect AP.) Fewer opportunities for stats to change on the fly during combat = easier to program for = less time/money spent on development.