# Blue Screen During Updates (Vista)

The title basically says it all, I run Vista for my OS (for simply being too lazy to go get 7) and during certain patch updates I get blue screened constantly.

This first occurred after I bought my new computer with Vista and started installing all of my games. When it came to updating WoW at a certain point, I would blue screen at every attempt, but before the blue screen I would go forward a few percentage and then it would die. Starting the download again after the reboot it would resume where it left off and continue a little bit further and BAM blue screen again... eventually it got to a point where there were no more blue screens and I could finish the patching.

Only problem is, is after downloading the PTR, I'm back in the same boat and don't want to go through this method again with my computer. Is there any known remedies for this sort of thing? I'll post my computer's specs if needed.

---------- Post added 2010-09-13 at 03:54 AM ----------

Did a run with "Blue Screen View" and found a common reappearance of...

hal.dll
    ntoskrnl.exe

This mean anything to anyone?

15+ Year Old Account
    Upload the crash file from C:\Windows\Minidump to your favorite freebie upload site and link it to us. If we can examine the actual crash data, we can have a better idea of what might cause it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Upload the crash file from C:\Windows\Minidump to your favorite freebie upload site and link it to us. If we can examine the actual crash data, we can have a better idea of what might cause it.
    I have the file together but no idea on what type of site you'd prefer it to be uploaded to, any suggestions on that? Thank you so far by the way.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can put it up to pretty much any upload site like Rapidshare.

I wasn't sure if you meant a file site or not, here's the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/418737813/Mini091210-07.dmp (Most recent Blue screen, I have several.)

---------- Post added 2010-09-13 at 06:05 AM ----------

Would you like any other additional information to help out?

---------- Post added 2010-09-13 at 08:03 PM ----------

Anything yet? Or should I just go ahead and do it the previous way?

15+ Year Old Account
    It looks like a standard 0xA blue screen. That usually points to a driver problem. Have you updated any drivers recently? If so, you may want to roll it back. If not, you may want to make sure all of your drivers (chipset, video, audio, NIC, etc) are up to date.

No recent updates in my drivers. In fact this blue screening issue started on the day I brought the computer out of its packaging. My NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT is currently up to date, not so sure on everything else.

I'm not too computer savvy so one of those may lack an update because of it.

---------- Post added 2010-09-14 at 02:04 AM ----------

I'm running Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, so I went to intel.com and found their "Driver Update Utility" it did a quick scan and found that my Intel(R) Desktop Board D945GCPE: Realtek* RTL8101E-GR Ethernet was indeed in need of an update. I'm currently installing and will let you know if it solves the problem.

---------- Post added 2010-09-14 at 02:06 AM ----------

Alright, after installing I got a quick reply from Vista with a warning that the program is now installed incorrectly. Should I assert to it that it is now correct?
    Last edited by SuperShaggy; 2010-09-14 at 02:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you installed the Vista version of the driver, it shouldn't show any errors.

I believe I did, it was an auto program from Intel that scanned my PC and suggested the download.

---------- Post added 2010-09-14 at 02:26 AM ----------

I decided to click, "It's installed correctly" and booted up the patch, so far so good I've gone about .4GBs and no BOSD, further than usual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, let us know if it craps out on you again. If it does, attach another minidump file, just in case something changed.

It looks like this has done it, it has already passed the previous times by a good 8 minutes. I'd like to thank you for your help Cil, you helped me where Blizzard wouldn't even grace me with a reply. Is there anyway we could perhaps keep this thread around for any other poor soul Googling trying to figure out the same problem?