Pally Tank in PTR

I was tanking ICC10 on the PTR on my paladin, and I died three times on the first three pulls.
    My avoidance dropped significantly, what with the loss of a on demand holy shield, any extra block rating/value (the % blocked works wonders on bosses, less on trash), and the fact that I lost roughly 10% dodge (bringing me to .76% in ICC) Also my parry went down. As did my threat gen.

So all the while I had two healers dedicated on me, and DPS pulling constantly off of me, and I died.

Did anyone else have this experience?

Is it intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyqar View Post
    I was tanking ICC10 on the PTR on my paladin, and I died three times on the first three pulls.
    My avoidance dropped significantly, what with the loss of a on demand holy shield, any extra block rating/value (the % blocked works wonders on bosses, less on trash), and the fact that I lost roughly 10% dodge (bringing me to .76% in ICC) Also my parry went down. As did my threat gen.

So all the while I had two healers dedicated on me, and DPS pulling constantly off of me, and I died.

Did anyone else have this experience?

Is it intended?
    At level 80 my holy pallie is significantly nerfed as well with the changes but i think that is more due to rebalancing for new content rather than the new changes being balanced on icc.

Well from what I've noticed and blizzard has said, AoE tanking is less emphasized in Cata and one of the major abilities that will allow you to do so is Inquisition which isn't available till 81 sadly. Multi mob pulls you'll just have to let dps hang back a bit if you can't keep up. The bigger the pull the more likely you are to lose threat. Grand Crusader does help but it's only 3 targets and still RNG. Divine Protection is also on a 1 min CD with no forbearance so abuse the hell out of it and Ardent Defender. Single target tanking is fine from what I've seen. I'm hitting almost 30k SotR on bosses in 5 mans in full 264 gear, but for AoE tanking it's kind of incomplete at the moment so it's an extra hassle.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It's fairly amusing that they said they wanted to nerf AoE tanking long before ICC was released, managed to do it for the PTR 10 months later, but then didn't realise that we'd essentially be unable to do the old content. Here's hoping they fix it up before release.
    Indeed it is.

OT: I think that's a design flaw from Blizzard's side, because, frankly, it really shouldn't happen that you can't do the content after a patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

There's a blue post somewhere saying that existing lvl 80 content is much harder than intended, some behind-the-scenes damage value got tweaked, but the existing content hasn't been adjusted for it, so mobs in lvl 80 raids are hitting harder than they're supposed to.

Also keep in mind that they haven't done the numbers balancing pass yet, so except for things so obviously broken that it keeps you from trying a real rotation, they haven't put any effort into balancing the DPS classes, and I suspect this goes for tanking specs as well.