Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wink Getting a new comp for cata

So my pc has now started showing signs of age after a good 5 years.

Theese days its common for me to have 20 fps at a max and dont get me started on raids or dalaran...

As of lately i have bought accesory for my computer such as a new and very nice screen, a gaming keyboard, a gaming mouse and a nice gaming headset. so im just going to be buying the... box ( stationary )

You can probably tell by now that i do not know much about computers other than satisfaction when it works, i have looked at some videos on youtube and searched on different pages and websites that sell theese things. But i do not know what is good and what i need, nor what is a nice deal.

My dream is to play wow with all video options on max and still having good fps.

So i come here to seek advice
    Norway Ftw!

I just bought the AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4, 2x 1600MHx Dominator (DDR3) and a Asus Extreme Design Hybrid mobo, which is really great. I play at maxium right now, and it's like a sweet dream. Also i have a 5770HD Readon, which is also a very nice grapichcard. It's not that expensive, and the cpu, compared to other cpu's, is it the best in prize.
    H E R O E S

\ "When I was a kid ... I used to wish some stranger would come and tell me my family wasn't really my family. They weren't bad people, they were just ... insignificant. And I wanted to be different. Special. I wanted to change. A new name, a new life. The watchmaker's son ... became a watchmaker. It is so futile. And I wanted to be ... important." \
    Sylar

is it possible to buy a computer that has a nice graphic card and all those other devices in it.. or is that like a must
    Norway Ftw!

Could you please say that again, didn't really get it ?
    H E R O E S

\ "When I was a kid ... I used to wish some stranger would come and tell me my family wasn't really my family. They weren't bad people, they were just ... insignificant. And I wanted to be different. Special. I wanted to change. A new name, a new life. The watchmaker's son ... became a watchmaker. It is so futile. And I wanted to be ... important." \
    Sylar

Quote Originally Posted by Iamsylar View Post
    I just bought the AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4, 2x 1600MHx Dominator (DDR3) and a Asus Extreme Design Hybrid mobo, which is really great. I play at maxium right now, and it's like a sweet dream. Also i have a 5770HD Readon, which is also a very nice grapichcard. It's not that expensive, and the cpu, compared to other cpu's, is it the best in prize.
    i play on this with the cpu clocked at 4ghz. its a beast. Just maybe bump the graphics card up a bit and you have yourself a formidable machine

I bought my computer from CyberPowerPC, you customize exactly what you want and see exactly what manufacturers you're getting it from, so you can get a nice beefy CPU, RAM, and Video Card and say that you don't need a monitor \ keyboard etc and you get the bottom line prices as if you built it yourself.

The computer I have now I got about a year ago with an ATI Radeon HD 5750 1gb card, 4gb ram (that I upgraded to 8 by buying more RAM on ebay), PhenomII quadcore processor, etc and it came out to maybe $700. Plays everything I can throw on it on max graphics and I'm very happy with it.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Possiblyreefer View Post
    i play on this with the cpu clocked at 4ghz. its a beast. Just maybe bump the graphics card up a bit and you have yourself a formidable machine
    Indeed, there is some potential power in that CPU! But about the grapichcard, you are right, it could be better, but it's okay for my standards. it drives pretty nicely and smooth in, let's say bad company 2, left 4 dead 2, and so on (smiliar games), and that's enough for me
    H E R O E S

Sylar

so that computer you mentioned.. is there anything else than buying it and plugging it in that must be done?
    Norway Ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorenaì View Post
    alienware
    I woudlnt get alienware... there way overpriced imo.....

Back on topic, It is easyer and cheaper if you buy all the parts needed to make a PC, I made mine ofc i have a few glitches the 1st time, was my first PC i built :P Bit now i know what to do next time!

GFX - GTX 260 Core 216
    Mobo - nForce 750i
    Ram - 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.3GHz

Ofc my PC isnt amazing but i play at 1920 x 1080. And i always have around 60FPS maxxed out GFX, Even shadows. All i can personly say is do ALOT of reseach before building a PC. Maxishine fourms are great for help, Its full of people who built there PC's and they gave me ALOT of help and tips, I have alot of thanks to the people there.

building a pc is most likely to advanced for me
    Norway Ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by StonyComet View Post
    so that computer you mentioned.. is there anything else than buying it and plugging it in that must be done?
    This is my setup:

PSU: Corsair 650w
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 X4 3.4GHz (AM3)
    RAM: 2x 1600MHz Corsair Dominator (DDR3)
    MOBO: Asus Extreme Design Hybrid
    GFX: AMD HD 5770 Radeon
    CABINET: Chieftec Dragon (It's up to you, what you like)

Also i have a Arctic Square (Cool Quite Shiny) on my CPU, but that's up to you. The harddisc is also up to you, but if you have the money, go for a raptor to the OS (C:/), and a WD/Samsung for the other stuff.. Could for example be:

Raptor sataII 10.000rpm 150GB for C:/ (Windows)
    Western Digital 1000GB (For games, movies etc.. you can always split the HDD in two pieces)

But again, it's just WoW, and it actually doesn't require that much, as you may think. A normal pc for around 600-700$ will make you more than happy!
    Last edited by Iamsylar; 2010-09-13 at 08:48 PM.
    H E R O E S

Sylar

wow is NOT a very demanding game. an intel dual core extreme (E8500) or something, 4gigs of ram, and a PCI-E2.0 graphics card..like an Nvidia GTS250 (or something above that)will put the game at very high performance. That + a basic mobo would cost you 400 dollars at the most, there's no reason to buy extreme end hardware for cataclysm.

You don't need overclocking, you don't need 8 cores, you don't need 20 gigs of ram, you DEFINITELY don't need an alienware. there's no circumstance on the planet that would ask you to pay 4x the price of what you're buying...unless of course you are buying a MAC... (OH SNAP).

That being said i'm running an intel core i7 920, 12 gigs of ddr3, 2TB hard drive space + 120gig SSD (WAY better than any 'raptor' spinny disk) for windows7 etc, 2x GTX260 c216 graphics cards, 7 channel dedicated audio,

PC builders will be PC builders.....

But seriously, don't need a high end computer to run blizzard games at max
    Last edited by Shmo; 2010-09-13 at 08:50 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok i know just what to get you

a mac im serious

Quote Originally Posted by Iamsylar View Post
    Indeed, there is some potential power in that CPU! But about the grapichcard, you are right, it could be better, but it's okay for my standards. it drives pretty nicely and smooth in, let's say bad company 2, left 4 dead 2, and so on (smiliar games), and that's enough for me
    yeah i wasnt belittling it, its a very good card for the price. Was just saying if youre buying one now and want a bit more "future-safeness" in it. Get maybe a 5850 or a gtx460

where have the times when computers had simple names like... windows 98? all the numbers and names and cores are swirling around and blowing my brain cells all over the place.
    Norway Ftw!

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Possiblyreefer View Post
    LOL! Hai there reef

---------- Post added 2010-09-13 at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sorenaì View Post
    alienware
    ridiculously overpriced for what you're actually getting.
    I know a few people that play on the new imacs, and it runs very well, but thats if you have that kind of money...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping to get a new desktop before Cata hits as well. I've been playing WoTLK on a laptop that was given to me as a gift and I'd rather not play Cata with sub 20 fps on low settings.

Hi anium. macs are fucking gay overpriced and underspecc'd.

liking the guild in your sig. You might wanna update that