Lightbulb possible answer to bad players

this is just an idea. im not saying blizz should do it the way i say it and it can be changed.

every time i play on my alt i run across people who dont know how to play. i think blizz idea of you learn as you go is not always the best. it seems like almost every time i do a group with non 80's i have to show them how to play. blizzard should have a tutorial wen u hit lvl 15 to show you how a group works because any people are new to the game and mmo's in general. it would be nice if they could show you what a tank, healer, and dps need to do in a group so people wouldn't fail all the time. and it wouldn't play it for you if you have done it or are max lvl.

remember this is an idea and i dont care if you change it. im open to anything constructive

I had my flamethrower at the ready, but this idea really isn't all that bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    They should make it like the introduction movies for starcraft 2 upgrades

Deleted
    This is actually pretty nice idea. Would help seperate those from 'Don't know how to play, btu willing to learn' and 'Don't know how to play, and don't want to learn'. As in, only bad people at max level would be 'don't want to learn' people

10+ Year Old Account
    this could work! ..maybe

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking, this actually wouldn't be terrible.

A few points though:
    1) You'd have to be able to disable it, because it would annoy the crap out of experienced players.

2) You'd have to have two sets: "Basic Tutorials" which are like "wut threat iz?" type of simple, basic information that applies to everyone; and "Advanced Tutorials", which explain your class's specific skills and the best way to utilize them. I find a lot of the time, "bad" players understand the basics, but they don't really understand their skills or utilize them properly.

3) This would probably best be done in some sort of phasing, similar to how non-MMO tutorials are. Set them in a hypothetical dungeon with some NPC team mates, and have them test out their skills.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2010-09-13 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Punctuation is a good thing, so I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Generally speaking, this actually wouldn't be terrible

A few points though:
    1) You'd have to be able to disable it, because it would annoy the crap out of experienced players.

2) You'd have to have two sets: "Basic Tutorials" which are like "wut threat iz?" type of simple, basic information that applies to everyone; and "Advanced Tutorials", which explain your class's specific skills and the best way to utilize them. I find a lot of the time, "bad" players understand the basics, but they don't really understand their skills or utilize them properly.

3) This would probably best be done in some sort of phasing, similar to how non-MMO tutorials are. Set them in a hypothetical dungeon with some NPC team mates, and have them test out their skills.
    1. read the last sentence in the 2nd paragraph
    2. my idea is just what a tank does, what a healer does, and what dps does
    3. it would be like its own instance with NPCs

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Generally speaking, this actually wouldn't be terrible

A few points though:

Actually this is a good idea, maybe even give some sort of basic experience or item on completion (like the satchel of helpful goods) to encourage them to stick with it.

It would be awesome to know the really bad players at max level had the tools, in game, to learn their class, and they were just stubborn/dense/or stupid to take advantage.

I'm amazed. Normally people, AKA, Teh internetz, would have been all over you with flames already.

But I agree. This would be a good idea if implented correctly. Some people are just clueless when some say: "Tank this or heal that", since they may be very new to these things. This would help those people get a better basic understanding of the game, without the chance of being flamed by elitist alts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

I really support this. I remember when I joined BFD for the first time on my shaman and I was supposed to be the group healer. I had done RFC and WC before but that was just a major zerg.

I was horribly specced some in resto, some in enchance and some in elemental. I had absolutely no idea what the hell I was doing. I was killing mobs healing my self when I took dmg but I couldt keep the others up. All in all I was really, really bad. BUT fortunately hte community was alot nicer back then so they actually told me what to do without flaming me as people would have done now. If I got flamed back them I'd probably quit the game.

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    They should make it like the introduction movies for starcraft 2 upgrades
    With the new "cutscene"-like feature they are adding in cata (you see them in alot of quests) it shouldnt be impossible to make a scene where you can see a group in action and maybe explaining the different tasks of each role as it plays.
    Of course it should be optional to view this, like a little discreet pop-up saying something like "Grouping- View Tutorial" once you ding 15 for example

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzacs View Post
    1. read the last sentence in the 2nd paragraph
    2. my idea is just what a tank does, what a healer does, and what dps does
    3. it would be like its own instance with NPCs
    Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just trying to help flesh out the idea a bit. Admittedly I didn't see the point you had about it not playing for someone that already did it, but speaking from a personal standpoint I wouldn't want it enabled regardless. If I were newer to MMOs then I'd love to have it, but even without playing the tutorial I am aware about enough to not need it. I'd really want this to feel like an "optional", helpful thing. If you present basic ideas like 'l2tank' to everyone, then there are people whose intelligence is bound to be insulted.

In regards to point 2: Yes, there needs to be that. However, I find plenty of people that are just really terrible at the game understand the basic idea of how to tank/heal/DPS depending on their role. I also find that these people just plain don't understand their class specific abilities, hence my suggestion of 2 types of tutorials.

Take a real example: my old guildie was a ret pally. He was good at DPSing, don't get me wrong. But, whenever he used Divine Intervention, he was "absolutely positive" that the boss would just "turn around and one-shot" him. This demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of class ability. THIS is the real problem (in most cases).

Regarding point 3: Yes, exactly. I think it'd be cool to be walked through a dungeon with NPCs helping me along, showing me what to do (if I were a noob).

I also like Bose's idea of the Satchel of Helpful Goods 2.0.

To expand on this, I'd like to see a tutorial explaining the chat system, LFG tool, what stats mean, etc. My poor stepmom managed to make it to 80 and still can't reply to my whispers >.<
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2010-09-13 at 09:12 PM. Reason: more ideas!

When I played my first toon, a holy paladin, I didn't have a clue as to how to heal effectively until I ran ZF with an experienced paladin that was spamming Flash of Light and Cleanse like crazy. I learned a lot that night.

Now, if I had been through a tutorial where I saw how the different roles supported the group, I might have been a better player in my early days.

I would like to see a system similar to some other MMO's like Guild Wars that allow you to do an instance with some computer controlled characters except it would be for instruction and fun but you wouldn't really get near as much exp or good loot. The satchel of goods sounds like a good idea and maybe even give out a decent necklace or something as an incentive to do it.

I would have taken advantage of this to get the feel of playing in a party without the risk of ruining other people's experiences until I was ready to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    me votes for yes!

would be nice to see simething like that, both for the new players who want to learn the game and for the experienced players who have to deal with them^^