Thread: Dot Cliping

Dot Cliping

Hello everyone, I don't know if this has been asked before. But I remember a blue post saying that they want to fight back at the dot cliping problem.
    So my question is... How exactly is this going to work?
    Will it work like Living Bomb is working right now (Won't let you reapply before it's over) or will recasting a DoT will add to its duration?

Thanks in advance

10+ Year Old Account
    basically it means that if you cast in between the last dot tick and the 2nd last dot tick, it won't be a dps loss

Dot Clipping should be a dps loss as far as I am concerned. I don't see why blizzard would change this. Perhaps I am missing something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarantism View Post
    Dot Clipping should be a dps loss as far as I am concerned. I don't see why blizzard would change this. Perhaps I am missing something.
    Because they didn't like it? The new model should be much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyz View Post
    basically it means that if you cast in between the last dot tick and the 2nd last dot tick, it won't be a dps loss
    that was not the question. the op knows what clipping is...

to answer the question: recasting before the dot is over will simply add up the remaining and the new duration.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is now a big gain on live. You blast all your cooldowns and apply a dot - it is powered up by cooldowns and trinkets. Then you overwrite it just before the last tick - and it continues, still as powerful as if it was buffed by cooldowns. Blizz turned it off. Not sure how.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    It is now a big gain on live. You blast all your cooldowns and apply a dot - it is powered up by cooldowns and trinkets. Then you overwrite it just before the last tick - and it continues, still as powerful as if it was buffed by cooldowns. Blizz turned it off. Not sure how.
    Yeah, it was OP. locks used the trinket from the icc 5 mans that increased your crit rating by 900 something, and they cast corruption with that buff up, and kept rolling it with a super high crit.

Yeah, losing out on a lot of DPS because of Latency is such an awesome design.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

I read that blizz is making dots check atats for each tick, so if you get a proc or lose a proc mid-duration, it will show it's effect immidiately.

Just to clarity this:

Corruption and Shadow Word: Pain do not keep all buffs from when you first cast them. The only buffs they keep are ones which increase your damage by X%, such as Malygos sparks, and ones which provide either Haste of Crit rating. Spellpower does not stay at the level it was when you first cast it, it is re-calculated to your current Spellpower every time you refresh the DoT. Shadow Word: Pain does not scale with Haste, so only Crit and % damage modifiers work. According to the notes n Wowhead Corruption also refreshes to your current Haste, so the only things you can keep refreshed are X% damage increase buffs, and Crit buffs.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_and_Juri View Post
    I read that blizz is making dots check atats for each tick, so if you get a proc or lose a proc mid-duration, it will show it's effect immidiately.
    Oh this is nice. Elegant and simple.

It was a bug, and it did work both ways(we had to reapply corruption for things like death's embrace). As for how it worked, as I understand it, it only really applied to Affliction locks because of the ability to reset the timer on Corruption through shadow bolt, Haunt and Drain life/soul. You could roll %dmg increases, like Haunt and Death's Embrace, as well as crit increases like nevermeltice from HPoS, by refreshing Corruption through Everlasting Affliction until you hit Corruption again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by allforone View Post
    It was a bug, and it did work both ways(we had to reapply corruption for things like death's embrace). As for how it worked, as I understand it, it only really applied to Affliction locks because of the ability to reset the timer on Corruption through shadow bolt, Haunt and Drain life/soul. You could roll %dmg increases, like Haunt and Death's Embrace, as well as crit increases like nevermeltice from HPoS, by refreshing Corruption through Everlasting Affliction until you hit Corruption again.
    It was also described as a strategy in many hunter guides - to clip a buffed Serpent Sting by reapplying Serpent Sting.