Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never ever had this problem i love my Hunter (main) so much and also all the effort i have putted into it it would be plain dumb to just switch to any of my other chars (warrior, pala, druid rogue).
    No matter what they do to my class the maximum switching will be my Spec lol
    Retired

Deleted
    I think people suffering as shamans through wotlk and now seeing them on beta the same if not worst (and pretty much no buff exclusive anymore) should know its the time .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peyj View Post
    I see what you mean. My main is a Paladin. The problem is I always rolled to be a Healer, but it's just not enjoyable anymore.
    None of the changes I've seen so far have really done much to sway this opinion.

Sigh.
    have you actually tried healing in cataclysm? It's easy to sit here saying how holy pally looks like the same thing with more buttons to press, but until you actually try it, don't judge, is all I can say. I'd withhold any decisions about changing main until patch 4 hits, and you try out the new class mechanics.

And yeah, pally healing is currently lame, try priest or druid

Quote Originally Posted by Blue.Dezember View Post
    i have several 80s. my "main" is whatever i feel like currently playing.

for example, right now i only play my feral druid. couple weeks ago it was the paladin. before that the dk.

i dont mind much about all the "achievements-titles-efford-whatever" put in one single character. if the gameplay feels boring, i just stop playing it. my priest has all my big achievements, feats and is my oldest character. havent played her in decades.
    You and me are alike my brother. I switch constantly, often I just take a break from the game, I raid progressive til i got it beaten, then wait until ppl are halfway through the next implemented content, level a char fast if not sticking with the old one, and then raid it til i got it covered.

This hasnt always been the case though, in vanilla and mid->late tbc, i raided hardcore. Switched main once, from a warrior tank (MC), to mm hunter(bwl, aq->TBC). After this, i just get bored at everything in 2-3months. Thats why Im looking forward to cata so much, the FEEL that its a whole new game, with new talent trees, new world, etc etc. I hope its going to be a hit for me, but not too much since Im having a baby in 3-7days~ - so the time available is limited..
    Kom alltid ihåg att du är helt unik. Precis som alla andra.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyj View Post
    Hi all,

I'm just in a bit of a 'dilemma' at the moment where I think I want to retire my main and do something new. I've had these thoughts before, but always flake out, or even get a fit of the "guilts"!

Just wondering how anyone else has finally made the decision to switch mains, what really pushed you over the edge?

I just worry about all the Feats of Strength and stuff that you just can't get again now, that my current Main has. Not to mention the MONTHS of actual time invested on grinding stuff, collecting things, and so on that there's no way I've got time to do again on my potential 'new main' before Cata and it all gets wiped...
    I envy the people who can stick to just one character. I have a hard time NOT wanting to switch mains. I've played everything to 80 but a death knight, and have leveled multiples of several classes. The most I can decide right now is that I probably wouldn't be able to play a pure dps as a main; I love being able to heal, and it's definitely my favorite role.

Trying to make a character as good as your current main is part of the fun, IMO. It can be frustrating, but it is (in my opinion) ultimately rewarding to grind out your favorite reps and achievements and farm the items you most enjoy on your main. Cata is still a little ways off, so if you pick something new now, you have a bit of time to get where you want to be with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogetaex View Post
    I couldn't do it. 9325 achievement points on the main, hours upon hours of wiping through everything I have. Just... all the work. I would never change mains, no matter what they did to it.
    that is pretty much why I don't grind out nerd points. I've switched mains 3 times this expansion, and with as easy as content is they are all pretty much at the same gear level thanks to gdkp runs

Deleted
    i've got 7 level 80 alliance chars, and 1 level 80 horde, with another one on it's way up to 80. My "main" is a lvl 72 warlock that was my first to 70, however he'd been shuffled from realm to realm to make room for other chars and i think i'll end up faction changing him to horde and when cata comes out and i've experienced the content, i'll roll an alliance warlock and learn to play it from scratch as i know i made so many mistakes.. One reason i've started to roll more chars is i know when i was levelling them i made so many mistakes and now can't go back and change how i played, so re-rolling i'll learn more now i've got more knowledge of what to do...

I had only one char in TBC, my mage. Spent all my time on it and enjoyed it a lot. Sadly most of the stuff I did does not show up under achievements even though I got loot from the bosses. So was easier to swap back then at least. :-)

When WotLK came I wanted to try a different aspect of the game, so chose a shaman so I could try out healing and melee dps, two thing I'd never done before. Loved played enhance, but due to lack of healers I was kindda forced to play resto most of the time, which wasn't that much fun tbh. Succes is binary - either you keep people alive to kill boss or you wipe. HPS meters doesn't show if you're doing better or worse since it's not situational. In that regard I think it's more fun to play a DPS where you can compete with yourself and the rest of the raid to tweak your gear, gems, glyphs, rotation, etc. to beat your old DPS "score". :-)

As a result I've mostly played PvP on my shaman and just gone back to my mage for raiding. It's a DPS only spec so I'm not asked to heal all the time. :-)

Since neither of my current chars can tank, I've desided to level a new char - a warrior tank. Tired of waiting to find a tank and the best solution is just to do it yourself. :-) So far I'm only at lvl39 so there a bit to go before I reach endgame - most likely not before Cata since I still raid on my mage and occationally PvP on my shaman.

So in short: Change main to try new aspects of the game you haven't tried before and are unable to do on your current main.

Since you got a pala you're lucky since you can try out melee dps or tanking "for free" just by getting new gear. I'd only recommend you change main in case you want to try a ranged DPS class. The rest you can already do.

Battlemaster Krystala || Flashbomba || Blitzerman
    Credit to Geekissexy for the awesome signature!

Just be an achievement whore and it's easy to not want to switch mains.