Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I think they should start calling us 'meddling adventurers.'
    And I would have sundered Azeroth too, if it weren't for you meddling kids. Oh waaaaait.

Still waiting for the episode of scooby doo where the jewel smugglers just shoot the mystery team.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'll get whacked by natural causes, just you wait.

it kinda defies logic though, them calling us mortals, when we, the players, are the least mortal of all beings in azeroth. we're completely and totally immortal, we have died billions of times, and we're still alive. whereas blizzard is for reals killing off NPC's left and right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorack View Post
    Tirion: NO MORE LIVES WILL BE CONSUMED BY YOUR HATRED!
    Arthas: I am the lion before the lambs, and they do not fear... they cannot fear...

AND I would have gotten away with it TOO! If it hadn't been for you meddling adventurers and your stupid paladin!
    His plan was actually just to lower property values in Azeroth so that he could make a killing flipping it over to the burning legion, word has it they are always looking to expand.

Building on this, I really want a "deadpool" type boss as far as his quotes go. I want him to be like, "self-aware" of his position. Like on aggro he can be all like, "Bah, foolish mortals! You came here looking for epics, but AHA! I am merely a mini-boss!" Or if you die, he could mention something like "enjoy your 10 gold repair bill" Or maybe for a special ability he could be like "Ignore your addons. Stand in the fire - it gives you spirit buff"

Quote Originally Posted by Thereign View Post
    And I would have sundered Azeroth too, if it weren't for you meddling kids. Oh waaaaait.
    don't lie to the people Faildruid. you can't sunder cake properly
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Blizzard has three different boss soundsets that they use as guidelines:

1. The Special Needs Boss - Can only say one or two words at a time verrry slooowllly, usually they are words describing what ability he's about to do or sometimes it can be related to death/a nasty sounding noun or verb, as if his thought process is so pants-on-head-retarded that he can't utter more than two syllabubs at once without having a brain hemorrhage. Blizzard believes this kind of dialogue is intimidating, which is a common fallacy among manchildren and retards.

2. The "Crazy" boss - this one will just talk really fast in a weird voice and say absolutely nothing of value, but just to get across the vibe that "HEY IM TALKING REALLY FAST IN A HIGH PITCHED VOICE, IS IT OBVIOUS THAT I'M INSANE? HERE LET ME SEAL THE DEAL WITH THIS MADDENING GIGGLE ARE YOU READY HERE IT COMES AHUHUHUHUHUH". Also this fight usually has a gag quote thrown in there that is a reference to whatever god-awful WoW-related meme that the WoW General forums has set on repeat for the past 6 months just so everyone will post and go "omg did u see that, so randum!"

3. The I AM THE GENERIC LORD OF GENERIC DOOM PREPARE TO DIE boss - typically says "mortal", "power", and "death" three times in one sentence. Makes liberal use of the phrase "You cannot defeat me" and subsequent variations that inform the player that they cannot win. This is of course ironic because said boss has been on farm for the past 3 months. These voices are all done by Chris Metzen, who coincidentally voices just about everyone else in WoW.

http://www.darklegacycomics.com/28.html pretty much sums it up.

The more difficult words they use, the more impressive they seem. I can't really imagine going through a fantasy dungeon filled with weirdo creeps, and then finally meeting a guy saying:
    "G'day mate, guess what: this stash of purples is mine, and I'll bally well hang meself before you get yer filthy hands on em, so f*ck off".
    Last edited by Oneru; 2010-09-14 at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    Building on this, I really want a "deadpool" type boss as far as his quotes go. I want him to be like, "self-aware" of his position. Like on aggro he can be all like, "Bah, foolish mortals! You came here looking for epics, but AHA! I am merely a mini-boss!" Or if you die, he could mention something like "enjoy your 10 gold repair bill" Or maybe for a special ability he could be like "Ignore your addons. Stand in the fire - it gives you spirit buff"
    Mandokir had a bit of a fourth wall breaker like that.
    "Ding!" when he kills 3 players and gains strength. "Grats!" yells Jin'do the Hexxer.

---------- Post added 2010-09-14 at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Delex2002 View Post
    Blizzard has three different boss soundsets that they use as guidelines:

1. The Special Needs Boss - Can only say one or two words at a time verrry slooowllly, usually they are words describing what ability he's about to do or sometimes it can be related to death/a nasty sounding noun or verb, as if his thought process is so pants-on-head-retarded that he can't utter more than two syllabubs at once without having a brain hemorrhage. Blizzard believes this kind of dialogue is intimidating, which is a common fallacy among manchildren and retards.

2. The "Crazy" boss - this one will just talk really fast in a weird voice and say absolutely nothing of value, but just to get across the vibe that "HEY IM TALKING REALLY FAST IN A HIGH PITCHED VOICE, IS IT OBVIOUS THAT I'M INSANE? HERE LET ME SEAL THE DEAL WITH THIS MADDENING GIGGLE ARE YOU READY HERE IT COMES AHUHUHUHUHUH". Also this fight usually has a gag quote thrown in there that is a reference to whatever god-awful WoW-related meme that the WoW General forums has set on repeat for the past 6 months just so everyone will post and go "omg did u see that, so randum!"

3. The I AM THE GENERIC LORD OF GENERIC DOOM PREPARE TO DIE boss - typically says "mortal", "power", and "death" three times in one sentence. Makes liberal use of the phrase "You cannot defeat me" and subsequent variations that inform the player that they cannot win. This is of course ironic because said boss has been on farm for the past 3 months. These voices are all done by Chris Metzen, who coincidentally voices just about everyone else in WoW.
    You forgot number 4: The woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakosa View Post
    Note to stupids: "immortal" does not mean "invincible". Immortal means they do not die of old age. That's it. Get that through your heads.
    And what dictionary did you find that definition in? Because all the ones I'm looking at say that immortal means "not subject to death" or "living forever" or "exempt from death."

None of them qualify immortality as only being unable to die because of old age.

---------- Post added 2010-09-14 at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nira View Post
    it kinda defies logic though, them calling us mortals, when we, the players, are the least mortal of all beings in azeroth. we're completely and totally immortal, we have died billions of times, and we're still alive. whereas blizzard is for reals killing off NPC's left and right.
    Immortal = "not subject to death"
    Mortal = "subject to death"
    Resurrection = "restoration of the dead to life"

PCs in WoW are obviously not immortal, as they are subject to death. They do not live forever... because they die. They do, however, get resurrected frequently, giving them a new life/continuing their past life after the brief break in life caused by a death.

The confusion here probably comes from the fact that "death" in real life is not quite the same as "death" in WoW.

Just incase anyone other than me cares.
    Last edited by Einzweidrei; 2010-09-14 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kangodo View Post
    tremble and despair, for i am power..

I can't get that quote out of my head now ;(

---------- post added 2010-09-14 at 02:09 pm ----------

;x that is boss number two!
    oh no you didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    http://www.darklegacycomics.com/28.html pretty much sums it up.

The more difficult words they use, the more impressive they seem. I can't really imagine going through a fantasy dungeon filled with weirdo creeps, and then finally meeting a guy saying:
    "G'day mate, guess what: this stash of purples is mine, and I'll bally well hang meself before you get yer filthy hands on em, so f*ck off".
    cockney boss= ultimate win
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

10+ Year Old Account
    Note to stupids: "immortal" does not mean "invincible". Immortal means they do not die of old age. That's it. Get that through your heads.
    not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooshdi View Post
    Hey nobody likes a smart ass; you know what the OP meant.

In most lore:

Mortal: Can die of old age/natural causes

Immortal: Cannot die of old age/natural causes i.e. undead or god status.

Dictionary definitions are literal, immortal meaning unable to die, mortal meaning subject to death.

Check for Immortality on Wowwiki. It means something entirely different in the Warcraft Universe.

Tremble, mortals, before the coming of the end!

TO make the fight feel epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Maybe because mostly UN-mortal bosses say that? "Mortal" can also refer to like, a standard living creature. Marrowgar calls us Mortals, and he's undead. etc etc
    OHai.

Quote Originally Posted by Velanis View Post
    not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.
    Death =/= murder. Death in the context of the definition is by natural causes.

Death =/= murder. Death in the context of the definition is by natural causes.
    This. Immortal can mean that you cannot die by natural causes, but you can be murdered.