Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anyone miss those old BC BM weps?

Anyone miss those old BC blacksmithing weapons that were like a chain?
    Like Drakefist Hammer -> Dragonmaw -> Dragonstrike.
    Or Lionheart Blade -> Lionheart Champion -> Lionheart Executioner.
    I thought that idea was really cool and it was neat to see them "evolve" in that way.

I never got to make them, but I do like the concept, and my main is a BS so yes I would like to see such a thing in the future.

Yeah, I also liked the idea of an "evolving" weapon. I imagine it would be pretty cool to RP with :P

10+ Year Old Account
    inb4 Pokemon evolving joke.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

I was a master armoursmith I thought that when LK came out i would still be able to make a super badass set of plate for myself, alas we all know that didnt happen. I would love however if they brought stuff like this back.
    Signature goes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Starsack View Post
    I was a master armoursmith I thought that when LK came out i would still be able to make a super badass set of plate for myself, alas we all know that didnt happen. I would love however if they brought stuff like this back.
    Agreed. I was very disappointed when I discovered that my specializations (Weaponsmith, Elemental Leatherworker, etc) were essentially useless in WotLK. The thrill of finally turning Deep Thunder into Stormherald was one of the highlights of TBC for my blacksmith. The progression in WotLK has been terribly lackluster by comparison.

I don't miss them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    inb4 Pokemon evolving joke.
    *pokemon elove theme*
    Congratulations your Lionheart blade is now Lionheart champion

Are you gonna name your new sword?

The only thing I miss, is how piss easy it was to get my glad title on my rogue as double ar/prep mace XD
    You are the harbringer of death, Kara Thrace. You will lead them all to their end.

Deleted
    The problem was most of those chains ended in Stunherald

Quote Originally Posted by Threadbare View Post
    The problem was most of those chains ended in Stunherald
    Yeeeeees... The BiS item will always be choosen ofc. Skillherald > Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

I'm not certain how BS weapons weighted against raid tiered weapons, but I remember the engineering goggles being used deep into T5, and a revival again around Sunwell with the improved patterns.
    I guess Blizzard changed their mind and wanted to make such epics useful for entry-level raids instead, as opposed to keeping the same weapon/armor through several tiers of content.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    LOl i remember double Dragonstrike on my rogue.

Oh oh oh, my KIlling Spree was deadly indeed. (guaranteed kill)
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalehan View Post
    I'm not certain how BS weapons weighted against raid tiered weapons,(..)
    I used my Dragonstrike from TK up untill late SWP

It was BiS MH weapon for a Human Fury Warrior untill a sword dropping from M'uru... (bar the MH WG ofcourse )

Ahh, I miss it too

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this was awesome until... stunherald... oh the horrible memories.

Resto Druid: "K I've got the warrior rooted over here, go ahead and sit on the druid for a bit, I still have no DR's on cyclone for this warror, so I should be fine."

*rogue leaves to eat druid*

Warrior: "Dude I'm not going to be able to do anything for like 30 seconds, this druid's got all kinds of CC on me still. Better watch out for the rogue"

Warrior: "I'll get in an intercept in between these two roots here in a second, better pray."

*Intercepts*

Warrior: "OMG JESUS CHRIST NERF DRUIDS, I CAN'T DO ANYTH... LOLNVMMACESTUN"

*Resto druid dies*

Quote Originally Posted by Starsack View Post
    The reason they removed them was because the crafted weapons were either BiS or very close to it, and had to be to stay competitive. This forced Warriors (mainly) who wanted to be competitive in PvP to be a Blacksmith and sink a bunch of gold / time into making the best weapon.

While it was an extremely cool concept, it just wasn't fair, especially with the WotLK model of "weapons will only be available VIA raids or arenas." Imagine how you'd feel if you dinged 80 on a Warrior in season 7 and wanted to gear up, only to find out that to be anything other than the laughing stock of competitive PvP, you'd have to dump 15k+ into powerleveling blacksmithing, then another 10k+ into getting the mats to craft the BiS weapon. Then imagine how everyone else would feel when the new season comes out, and on day 1 you turn your old weapon into the newest BiS weapon while they have to get a high rated team and wait a few weeks for pts to get their good weapon while you faceroll them with 15%+ more dps.

It just wasn't fair unfortunately, and it was too much work to make something for everyone, and if they did then every single class in the game would have a specific profession that they'd be "forced" to take to be competitive. That's also why they changed the JCing profession bonus from being prismatic to having to match a socket. No one wanted to feel forced into JCing to min/max.

Hope this helps to clear it up .

Even if they were available in WOTLK they'd probably be 213 iLevel items that would have been replaced in 3.1
    "Remember to take ALL things in moderation.. Even World of Warcraft" :]

If they re-implemented these I might consider keeping my BS which I am planning to switch. The concept was awesome but the implementation (stunheralds) was flawed. Shadow's Edge was crafted and was very close to top tier so its not like Blizzard is against crafted epics that rival current tier. I'm sure if they put the effort into it and learned from their mistakes they could come out with some really cool weapons.
    "Haunter used MEAN LOOK!"

Removing these weapon / armour chains from BC was a terrible thing to do.

As an axe loving dwarven warrior I toiled long and hard to make my Bloodmoon. When I finally got the mats and made the weapon it was fucking amazing. It made me feel not just like a blacksmith, but a learned, experienced, master AXESMITH.

To me, Blizz had hit the nail on the head with crafting in TBC. To reach the peak of your profession and make the best piece available was a real achievement. It made me feel the way Blizz say they want people to feel about the game, so of course, they changed it.

It gave nabs like me a chance to have a near BiS weapon without raiding end game content. As I recall, Blizz were concerned that people would chose a profession because of what you could make, rather than because it was fun. Thoughts like that make me question if their designers are actually retarded. What makes a computer game fun? Making epic shit to TWAT MOTHERFUCKERS with.

Bring back all crafting profession BoP, near BiS recipies.

---------- Post added 2010-09-18 at 03:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dalehan View Post
    I'm not certain how BS weapons weighted against raid tiered weapons, but I remember the engineering goggles being used deep into T5, and a revival again around Sunwell with the improved patterns.
    I guess Blizzard changed their mind and wanted to make such epics useful for entry-level raids instead, as opposed to keeping the same weapon/armor through several tiers of content.

Keeping my weapon through all content, and upgrading it as I went was a plus point for me. I called my 2h axe "Josefin" and when she finally became Bloodmoon, I married her and we had little axe babies (for when I went Fury).

I loved my lionheart executioner (Coolest sword-design ever IMO), but having a profession that was useless except for 1 imba item was pretty weak overall, was actually nice when BS lost that in WotLK, having professions provide BiS-items until 2/3 through an expansion's raid-content (In other words, gimping yourself unless you take those professions) is an idea that was thankfully dropped in WotLK, same for tailoring/LW, professions are way more balanced in pound-for-pound benefit now...