Thread: Cata Spell Pen

Cata Spell Pen

So I have been playing around on my priest on the PTR 4.0 servers. And I noticed that on my priest, with the shadow protection buff, it gives the 130 shadow resist, and also says it reduces my shadow damage received by ~25%.

I'm guessing that spell pen is going to work the same and negate that 130. But I'm wondering if spell pen is going to have an opposite effect as resistances and start increasing spell damage. So if I have 260 spell pen (double what shadow protection gives) would that mean I would be doing 25% more spell damage after the resistance? I'm sorry if there is a post on this already.. Couldn't find anything.

If anyone knows how this mechanic is going to work in Cata, please help.

wait what?! that woould make the spam dispel ideology that blizzard wanted to get away from even more rampant come Cataclysm! i know i dont wan't my spriest doing 25% less damage so i would have to full purge and stack the spell pen? whats the point of spell pen then? need more info...

Sadly, I cannot post screen shots or anything . But what I can tell you is that when you mouse over your spell resistances in 4.0, instead of it saying: poor, fair, good, excellent resistance. It says the number or resistance you have and then says "reduces shadow spell damage done to you by an average of 24.78%". The best thing I can compare this too would be like armor pen.

Well purging buffs I think will always be a good idea in PvP. And I still think spell pen is going to do the same, if the target 130 resistance, and you have 130 pen. I think you will negate that resistance on the target. But I don't know. I need more info too, all I'm reading are tool tips in game.

I think you're asking if there will be negative resists and i'm pretty sure that there won't be. And the resistance mouse over is just an average. It still works the same way it does on live.

Should have been a tiny bit more clear. Both mechanics, resists and penetration, work exactly like they do on live.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2010-09-14 at 11:07 PM.

maybe they just converted resistances into raw damage reduction in terms of a percentage? i think thats what they are getting at xD i thought that they would have the 130 resist, but you still would do 24% damage less, the spell pen would only make sure you wouldnt get resists.

I r silly.