Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Cataclysm Currency Changes Explained

Cataclysm Currency Changes Explained
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    As we discussed in our previous announcement (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...Id=24401796793), we're refining the currency systems used for purchasing PvE and PvP items in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, and the transition to this new system will take place in two stages. Today, we're going into more detail on how these changes will be rolled out, so if you haven't yet, make sure to check out the prior article to get up to speed on the currency names.

One change of note since that original announcement is that we've changed the name of the low-tier PvE currency from Hero Points to Justice Points. The original announcement post has been updated to reflect this.

Out With the Old

In the upcoming 4.0 patch we'll begin the first stage of the conversion to the new currencies. Emblems of Triumph and Emblems of Frost will be converted into Justice Points. For this initial conversion there will be a soft cap of points you can have, with a hard cap enforced later as detailed below. All PvE emblems and badges below Frost and Triumph will be converted into gold. This even includes legacy badges, like Badges of Justice. If any of these older currencies are converted into gold, the player will receive it through an in-game letter.

At this time any bosses a player defeats that are level-appropriate to them (and previously awarded badges or emblems upon defeat) will award them with the new Justice Points. Similarly, any items that previously cost emblems or badges of any type will now cost Justice Points instead.

On the PvP side, Season 8 will end with the release of patch 4.0, and all Arena Points, Honor Points, any leftover Battleground Marks of Honor, Stone Keeper's Shards, Venture Coins, and Spirit Shards will be converted into the new Honor Points. The new Honor Point pool will also have a soft cap for these conversions, but a hard cap will be enforced later. At the time of conversion, items that previously cost Honor or Arena Points will be sold in exchange for the new Honor Points. Rated Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds won't be available again until Season 9 (shortly after the release of Cataclysm), when they can be entered to win the higher-tier PvP Conquest Points.

In addition, purchasing any item with these secondary currencies (Honor Points and Justice Points) will now require that the purchaser meet the item's minimum level requirement.

It's important to note that these conversions are not 1:1, but are indicative of the level and relative worth of each before the conversion to the new point systems. For example, Stone Keeper's Shards will convert into more Honor Points than Spirit Shards.

Tip of the Cap

While we previously announced that there's a limit to the amount of these new currencies you can stockpile, we're providing a grace period in the form of a soft cap. This soft cap will allow the initial conversion to push the amount owned over the cap, but will not allow any further points to be earned (or returned through item refunds) until enough points are spent to put you below the hard cap.

For instance, a player has 3000 Emblems of Triumph, and 1200 Emblems of Frost; at the time of conversion they'll be given 4200 Justice Points. The hard cap for Justice Points is 4000, so that player won't be able to earn any more Justice Points until he or she spends enough points to reduce the total to under 4000. This also applies to the new PvP Honor Points, which also have a cap of 4000.

Shortly before Cataclysm is released, another patch will enforce the hard cap, marking the second stage of the currency conversion. Any Justice or Honor Points above the hard cap will be converted to gold, and just like in the first stage of the conversion, the player will receive an in-game letter explaining that some of their currencies were converted into gold as well as delivering the gold itself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yay, this is for the better!

Deleted
    justice point cap ....

Cool.

15+ Year Old Account
    Finally, my 4000 Venture Coins will do someting!

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    Sounds good though I would like to see how much gold you get every 100 marks you have.

15+ Year Old Account
    Very good. This should, if anything, reduce the annoyance of having to convert frosts and triumphs all the way down to heroism for heirlooms.

10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds interesting. I just hope it doesn't come out half-broken and bugged.

Well that explains why my character copies on the Beta had gold in the mail. Hmm now the question is whether its worth it to farm and stockpile old badges so they convert to more gold?

Great! Now I just want to know what's the gold per emblem. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope they tell us the gold conversion ration. I have to know :P

Deleted
    Sounds good to me =)

And what is justice points going to be used for?

Who has 1200 emblem of frost?

Sounds fine with me. Let's just hope they don't decide to increase the badge/justice point gear in power every damn content patch. It's fine when you do it with PvP, but it is completely unnecessary (in fact harmful) to PvE progression.

Head asplode.

A second blue post in that thread:
    "Let us know what you think and if you have any questions. We're planning to post all of the conversion math tomorrow afternoon for those that want to know how many of each they'll be getting."

Wonder if people will start farming emblems and converting them to the ones that will convert into gold lol, sure will depend on how much it converts into...

Is that why the Test dragon sent me some gold on the PTR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sno View Post
    And what is justice points going to be used for?
    They are the lower level of the two new 'emblems' so things similar to items you can currently buy for triumph