Thread: PTR Demonology

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb PTR Demonology

Looked back a page or two and can't find a post dedicated to Demonology on the ptr like this, so here we go. I plan on doing a bunch of testing today to see whats broken and what isn't. Please post the bugs you've encountered and I'll work on keeping a list for easy readings.

Remember that damage numbers are not final, so we are looking for talents and abilities that straight up don't work instead of have wonky numbers. Currently working with this spec: http://www.wowtal.com/#k=-Aekmb8v.9zi.warlock

**Bugs**
    When Demonic Pact fades and reapplies, the felguard loses almost all of its mana.
    Axe Toss CANNOT be trinketed out of, possibly a bug. example : cast axe toss, enemy gets thrown down and uses trinket, still can't do anything until the effect is gone.

**Other**
    Felguard has 2 abilities that are not on his action bar and can be found in his pet spellbook: Felstorm and Axe Toss
    Imp has Flee and Singe Magic in his spellbook

**Rotation**
    Priorities:

Bane of Doom > Hand of Gul'dan > Soul Fire(decimation) > Molten Core(Incineratex3) > Immolate* > Corruption > Shadow Bolt filler
    Keep up your dots, Hand of Gul'dan on CD, shadow bolt when everything is ticking and Molten Core has not procced. Soulburn Soul Fire during Metamorphosis, Summon Infernal during the start (does more damage than Doomguard, but Doomguard if pet will die in melee / if aoe will break any CC etc.)

*Immolate will only need to be cast once when Hand of Gul'dan works properly, if I read the talent correctly.

This is a guestimate on my part, if you have tested a rotation further / done some math, please share and I will update!
    Last edited by Grinthe; 2010-09-20 at 09:37 PM.

extra talent point. For whatever reason after I talked to the trainer to get the new abilities I received the level 81 talent point even though I was not level 81. Practically same build.

Also Aura of Forboding is NYI

I think Hand of Gul'dan will have higher priority than you are listing, though I'm not certain how high (Though I noticed you listed it to be casting on CD). Also, I'm not certain if we are going to be casting Corruption anymore because of Molten Core change (Hopefully MC will be changed in some way). And have you tried maxing out Bane instead of Shadow and Flame and seeing the difference? I'm curious what it is, not like it matters much, wondering.

ps: its extremely frustrating that with Cremation Hand of Gul'dan doesn't refresh immolate atm
    Last edited by Loveletters; 2010-09-14 at 11:08 PM.

Is Hand of Gul'dan targetable like Rain of Fire? Or do you cast it at your current target?
    Mike Morheim: Rift is totally gonna fail
    Ghostcrawler: Yeah good thing we made healing harder!
    Metzen: Guys, what soul should I get to go with Paladin and Beastmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by xionkarl View Post
    Is Hand of Gul'dan targetable like Rain of Fire? Or do you cast it at your current target?
    Does it on your targeted mob.

Quote Originally Posted by xionkarl View Post
    its cast on your current target

Nice, thanks for the quick replies.
    Mike Morheim: Rift is totally gonna fail
    Ghostcrawler: Yeah good thing we made healing harder!
    Metzen: Guys, what soul should I get to go with Paladin and Beastmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Loveletters View Post
    I think Hand of Gul'dan..
    You are right it does make more sense for it to be higher up in priority, adjusted that. I actually have 2 Demonology specs, one with full Bane and one with full Shadow and Flame, I haven't looked at the difference between the two much truth be told. Next time I log on I will a) check that and b) also try entirely without Corruption and see where that goes.

* Honestly there wasn't much difference between corruption / non corruption, and the two small spec differences. Give or take some massive lag and molten core procs. <-- just my experience.
    Last edited by Grinthe; 2010-09-15 at 12:44 AM.

Atm Demonology is very fun in pvp. Being able to cast hellfire while moving is amazing against rogues. Not to mention "Felstorm" lol... hits like a truck. A buddy of mine thinks axe toss is bugged because he couldn't trinket the stun, not 100% sure on that

I've got to wonder if Corruption will still be worth using now that it's just straight damage. From the messing around I did, it seemed pretty weak without any supporting talents (like you would have in Affliction) compared to the other spells Demonology has, but I wasn't really testing all that much.

15+ Year Old Account
    At what level does the Felguard learn FELSTOOOOORM? :P

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Honestly unsure, it doesn't say anything in the pet spellbook regarding level that I can remember.

Deleted
    Felstorm is there at lvl10, but when you try to use it a 'Target is too low level' message comes up. There is no mention of when it is learned in the spellbook.

I don't see how you can create a rotation if the damage numbers aren't final yet. Recall Arcane Barrage, it used to be high priority and it got nerfed as simply as 10% back then and now it's rarely used in a rotation.

Aura of Foreboding isn't working. And this isn't necessarily specific to Demonology, however for whatever reason I'm unable to learn Mastery from the warlock trainers.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

Well. Soul fire, shadow bolt, incinerate, bane of doom, immolate and hand of gul'dan are all definitely getting used in our rotation. Damage numbers don't really matter for sure, I just wanted to know the rotation for when the patch does come out, you know? And to share it with others.

As for mastery I'm pretty sure that is a personal bug, I'll double check my character once I get on it.
    * yeah i have mastery
    Last edited by Grinthe; 2010-09-15 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinthe View Post
    As for mastery I'm pretty sure that is a personal bug, I'll double check my character once I get on it.
    * yeah i have mastery
    Hm. TO MAKE A TICKET.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

I am on the ptr at the moment if anyone wants me to submit any kind of feedback / suggestions, report bugs, or test anything in specific.

** off again, but feel free to ask anyway so I can do it later.
    Last edited by Grinthe; 2010-09-15 at 08:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another bug that I've found is that Felstorm can't be hotkeyed. You have to manually click it on your pet's bar. Think this is because it's NNF so the '/cast Felstorm' macro isn't being recognized by the system.

---------- Post added 2010-09-15 at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Loveletters View Post
    I think Hand of Gul'dan will have higher priority than you are listing, though I'm not certain how high (Though I noticed you listed it to be casting on CD). Also, I'm not certain if we are going to be casting Corruption anymore because of Molten Core change (Hopefully MC will be changed in some way). And have you tried maxing out Bane instead of Shadow and Flame and seeing the difference? I'm curious what it is, not like it matters much, wondering.

ps: its extremely frustrating that with Cremation Hand of Gul'dan doesn't refresh immolate atm
    I agree on the HoG priority. I think rotation should be:

BoD--HoG--Decimation SF--MC Incinerate--Immo--Corruption--SB filler

-BoD is our highest DPS ability, hits 4 times in a minute doing 7-14k damage, that's 28k-56k damage per cast.
    -HoG is our equivalent of Chaos Bolt, it actually does the same damage. Instead of being unresistable it makes your pet crit 10% more and refreshes Immo, making it pretty damn good.
    -Anyone else think Deci-SF was hardcore nerfed? In live its casting speed is around 1.8s or so with Deci, in PTR it's like 2.9s. Could be a bug or something.
    -Corruption isn't that important now that it doesn't proc MC.

Edit: Actually nm, figured out why Deci-SF seemed nerfed. It's because I'm not high enough to invest in Emberstorm which knocks a second off its cast time.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2010-09-15 at 09:01 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Actually nm, figured out why Deci-SF seemed nerfed. It's because I'm not high enough to invest in Emberstorm which knocks a second off its cast time.
    That's somewhat of an issue then because pre-Cata no demo lock will have those points to spend. Maybe you could make a post in the PTR forums suggesting they switch the Soul Fire Part of Emberstorm with the Chaos Bolt part of Bane? That way neither talent would become too heavily/lightly weighted and it wouldn't really effect the game at 85.