Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    mind blast is never useless. i have almost 1300 haste and saw no difference in damage when i dropped it as opposed to when i kept it in my rotation

for dps though, getting 4-piece t10 is the biggest upgrade you can get. even if you have better slot pieces, get 4 piece as fast as you can. it's quite OP IMO, ill be very very sad to lose it for the bonuses on t11..
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

You'll need to get rid of it long before Tier 11.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kootz View Post
    To the opp.

There are a few things you want to get before you even load into the game as a shadow priest.

First you will want a dot timer. This will put timers for your dots in a convienent place on the screen and allows for much better tracking of your dots, thus less downtime.

Second you will want to get quartz casting bar. This will provide you with a latency timer and ticks for your mind flay.

Once you have those installed you can go set them up. you want your dot timers to really only show your vt,swp,and dp.

Once you have your addons set up you can proceed to trying to farm some gear..

When you are just starting there is one main thing you need to remember. STAY HIT CAPPED. 290 is the hitcap with shadow talents. this is huge so get hitcap before anything else.

then you will want to start getting spellpower/haste.. followed by crit while staying at or above hitcap.

lastly there is rotation. shadow priests have a few variations of an opening rotation. here is my personal favorite.

Lead with vt
    then mind blast.
    Then dp.
    then mind flay (full ticks)
    then shadow word pain.

When you have your full set of dots up you will want to do one of two priority based rotations..

Under 800 haste you will want to spec into full mind blast cooldown.. and mind blast whenever its up. keep your dots up and mind flay as filler.

Over 800 haste (4 piece teir 10) mind blast is overtaken in priority by flay and so our spec changes (spec out of mind blast improvment alltogether) Then your priority is keeping dots up and mind flaying... mind blast just enough to keep replenishment up.. once every other vt or so should be fine.

also keep in mind at high levels of haste (ie when bloodlust is poped) you should not mind blast at all until it wears off.. mind blasting at that much haste is a huge dps loss.

well there is some shadow info.
    I know it's just me an I've been playing shadow for a year. But every time I installed a DoT timer in the middle of my screen, I find it harder to look at it than to look at the DoT icons underneath the target's portrait. In the end the timer is nothing but a sitting duck in the middle of my screen as I ended up not looking at it completely. This led me to believe that a DoT timer is more of a personal preference than a necessity.

Of course this is just me, and I do in fact support the idea of using a timer. I'm just saying that I just cant get used to them after all this time playing without it.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    mind blast is never useless. i have almost 1300 haste and saw no difference in damage when i dropped it as opposed to when i kept it in my rotation

for dps though, getting 4-piece t10 is the biggest upgrade you can get. even if you have better slot pieces, get 4 piece as fast as you can. it's quite OP IMO, ill be very very sad to lose it for the bonuses on t11..
    I still use Mind Blast despite having 1355 haste rating (or 1400+ if I can manage to get the fester boots next week). This is mainly because our raid does not have enough replen providers. With that said, I only tend to use mind blast once every 10 - 15 seconds just to keep up the replen.
    Last edited by zsun; 2010-10-02 at 04:11 AM.

zsun i know you probably already know this but you can actually move the casting bars around to place them into a comfortable spot.

also adjusting the opacity and size can help to make them more comfortable for your eyes to accept.

For example here is a pic of my ui.. its simple but works great. my dot timers are small and non intrusive.. and my castbar is nice... i dont even really look directly at them anymore.. i just kinda know the times left from peripheral.

Click here for the image
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2010-10-03 at 05:43 AM.

I know what you mean and yes I do know that I can move them around and that they are quite non-intrusive. However, it's more to do with the "horizontal bar" aspect of it. I'm more or less used to the "icon fading clockwise concept". Simply put, I take longer time to digest the information presented in a horizontal bar format.

I hope the one I found was your armory
    No linking it unless it's yours in the first place. Potential for naming/shaming. -- Kel

First off your spec...Its pretty good for the most part just switch a few points into disc and make it look like this:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bVcbuZZGxfVkfzcfqfzAo

Glyphs are fine other than dispersion, thats mainly a PvP glyph I would get Glyph of Mind Flay to replace it. Although if you are learning a fight and unsure about mechanics dispersion is ok for the extra oh shit moments.

Gems are kinda right, just follow this system for starters. Reckless Ametrine(SP/haste)in yellow sockets, Runed Cardinal Ruby(SP)in red, Purified Dreadstone (Spirit/SP)in Blue, your meta is fine.

Enchants are the major issue I see, most of your gear is either not enchanted at all or poorly enchanted. I'm gonna go by your professions on what to get, Helm you want the Kirin Tor arcanum, Shoulder you want the SPower/Crit inscription from the Sons of Hodir, Chest you want +10 Stats, wrist you want 30 SP, hands you want 28 SPower or 20 hit depending on how close you are to the 288.55 hit cap, waist put an eternal belt buckle on it, legs get the SP/Spirit spellthread from tailors, feet get Tuskarr's Vitality if you don't need hit and if you do need hit get Icewalker, and 2H get 81 SP and 1h get 62 SP.

Gear is pretty easy to come by, you want as much haste as possible, but up until ICC take whatever is an upgrade for you.

Your professions are ok, but they are of NO use whatsoever to you in end game at that level, go out and find an Alchemy guide and get it to 450 along with your herbalism.

Your rotation is probably the thing that will make or break you in end game, the key is the opener. You want to open with something that puts misery on your target, either VT, SW:P, or MF. I prefer MF because of Shadow Weaving. Then after the first cast its up to you until you get 5 stacks of shadow weaving, at 5 stacks you want to immediately cast SW:P to get the full scaling of SP on it. Here is the opener I used before I dropped MB:
    VT, DP, MB, MFx2, SW:P. Then after that its just about priorities, your biggest damage will be from VT, then MB, then DP, then MF. So just recast your dots so that they are on the target as long as possible (reminder that the last tick of damage is at the very end of the dot so don't clip your dots). Keep MB on cooldown at all times, and just use MF as a filler. Also be sure to use Shadowfiend as many times as you can, not just for mana restoration, it does a fairly good amount of damage, so anytime its available use it.

But the key is just practice, do heroics, do old content, do as many raids and instances as you possibly can and you'll get the hang of it.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2010-10-03 at 06:20 PM.

Disregard This Thread

Please Advise: Most of the information posted before me in this thread is inaccurate.

See Here: shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=24950&hilit=shadowpriest+for+dummies
    Post Script: Everything will be invalid within weeks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePhan1234 View Post
    I hope the one I found was your armory
    No linking it unless it's yours in the first place. Potential for naming/shaming. -- Kel

First off your spec...Its pretty good for the most part just switch a few points into disc and make it look like this:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bVcbuZZGxfVkfzcfqfzAo

Glyphs are fine other than dispersion, thats mainly a PvP glyph I would get Glyph of Mind Flay to replace it. Although if you are learning a fight and unsure about mechanics dispersion is ok for the extra oh shit moments.

Gems are kinda right, just follow this system for starters. Reckless Ametrine(SP/haste)in yellow sockets, Runed Cardinal Ruby(SP)in red, Purified Dreadstone (Spirit/SP)in Blue, your meta is fine.

Enchants are the major issue I see, most of your gear is either not enchanted at all or poorly enchanted. I'm gonna go by your professions on what to get, Helm you want the Kirin Tor arcanum, Shoulder you want the SPower/Crit inscription from the Sons of Hodir, Chest you want +10 Stats, wrist you want 30 SP, hands you want 28 SPower or 20 hit depending on how close you are to the 288.55 hit cap, waist put an eternal belt buckle on it, legs get the SP/Spirit spellthread from tailors, feet get Tuskarr's Vitality if you don't need hit and if you do need hit get Icewalker, and 2H get 81 SP and 1h get 62 SP.

Gear is pretty easy to come by, you want as much haste as possible, but up until ICC take whatever is an upgrade for you.

Your professions are ok, but they are of NO use whatsoever to you in end game at that level, go out and find an Alchemy guide and get it to 450 along with your herbalism.

Your rotation is probably the thing that will make or break you in end game, the key is the opener. You want to open with something that puts misery on your target, either VT, SW:P, or MF. I prefer MF because of Shadow Weaving. Then after the first cast its up to you until you get 5 stacks of shadow weaving, at 5 stacks you want to immediately cast SW:P to get the full scaling of SP on it. Here is the opener I used before I dropped MB:
    VT, DP, MB, MFx2, SW:P. Then after that its just about priorities, your biggest damage will be from VT, then MB, then DP, then MF. So just recast your dots so that they are on the target as long as possible (reminder that the last tick of damage is at the very end of the dot so don't clip your dots). Keep MB on cooldown at all times, and just use MF as a filler. Also be sure to use Shadowfiend as many times as you can, not just for mana restoration, it does a fairly good amount of damage, so anytime its available use it.

But the key is just practice, do heroics, do old content, do as many raids and instances as you possibly can and you'll get the hang of it.
    Fight Opener: doesn't matter, don't say it's the key part of the fight when it's not. Just get 5 stacks of shadow weaving up and reapply SWP if you applied it already. MB doesn't have to be on cooldown at all times, I don't know where you get this info but stop spreading the wrong stuff.

Your suggestion of not having Dispersion and having Mind Flay instead....no. Mind Flay and Shadow are necessities, Dispersion or Mind Sear are the other two choices you can take.

Inner Focus > Veiled Shadows? You've gotta be kidding...
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...n&gn=Feng+Shui

I recently did ICC 10 last night with my guild. I'm decently geared with a GS of 5551, I use the standard rotation of: VT > MB > DP > MF till 5 stacks of SW then SW:P, and I do no where near top dps, but more towards the middle depending on the fight.

To he who said Dispersion glyph is more pvp: Sorry bud, but It can be used to for pve just as well, if not more useful. Free 36% of your mana back almost every minute? Combined if you are an alchy and have endless mana potion or a runic mana pot, thats more free mana. Plus for fights like Sindy, go nuts with unchained magic, then pop dispersion and let it fall off; then should you get it again, you have maybe 10 seconds to wait again.

The bigger they are, the harder I hit'em

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendork View Post
    They fixed this a long time ago, you can no longer maintain SP bonuses on dots throughout an entire fight. It recalculates spell power every time you refresh.
    True, but crit and %dmg bonuses do roll on refresh. I use shadowgreenlight to track which of all available buffs is active.

http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.ph...=23642&start=0
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Quote Originally Posted by draticus View Post
    True, but crit and %dmg bonuses do roll on refresh. I use shadowgreenlight to track which of all available buffs is active.

http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.ph...=23642&start=0
    Keep in mind, this will change in the next patch. Starting in 4.01 refreshed DoTs will update to your current bonuses, period.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I shadow priest DPS in ICC, I'm not awesomely geared. GS is 5.3k if you wanna go off that. Yet I can usually hold my own in an ICC10/25. I use the rotation VT, DP, SW:P, MB, MF. I recast VT and DP when they begin to reach their final tick, Hit MB when its cd and mf have finished. I dunno how much will change later (I'm more of casual player then a hardcore one, so I haven't been looking ALL that much), but this works for me atm. I mostly gem sp/crit/haste Again, seems to work well ^.^