Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any point in cutting non-epic gems?

So fellow Jewelcracters, riddle me this.

I have a grudzillion blue gems that fell out of Saronite Ore: Monarch Topaz, Living Ruby, Forest Emerald and such. They litter my bank, because I have very few recipes for them and I want to concentrate on epic cuts. Is there any point in buying recipes for and cutting the blues? There are tons of them on the AH already... does anyone even buy or do people go straight to epix?
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously can´t imagine anyone still buying blue gems.
    when you want to pimp some twinks, do that. Otherwise just sell them to someone who for example needs to skill JC.

Few people still buy rare gems, because they can't afford epic gems. However, their market is very small and so I guess you could cut all these gems and sell them to a vendor.

Saves yourself from the trouble of listing them again and again and again.

(ok... you could at least cut the red ones, but I guess the rest will very rarely be bought.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Levelup and fresh80 people will buy some blues. I made good deals with solid sky sapphires (24 sta) recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Olgierd View Post
    So fellow Jewelcracters, riddle me this.

I have a grudzillion blue gems that fell out of Saronite Ore: Monarch Topaz, Living Ruby, Forest Emerald and such. They litter my bank, because I have very few recipes for them and I want to concentrate on epic cuts. Is there any point in buying recipes for and cutting the blues? There are tons of them on the AH already... does anyone even buy or do people go straight to epix?
    some of the ones you listed can be transmuted to epic gems..it also requires other mats..but its a good bit cheaper than buying/farming the epic gems..find an alchemist to transmute them

Quote Originally Posted by taters25 View Post
    ..find an alchemist to transmute them
    This really. Don't cut them at all, just save the uncut versions and find a transmuter.

I'd sell them raw. I still use them when leveling alts (I refuse to put epic gems in Blue gear, and usually don't start getting serious about geming until ilvl 232 stuff), but if your server has a glut of them on the AH, someone else has probably cornered the market. Sell the raw gems and let that guy buy from you ;-)

Edit to add: Transmuting is all well and good, but it has a fairly significant cool down. If you have stacks of gems, getting all of the transmuted seems like more trouble than it's worth.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taters25 View Post
    some of the ones you listed can be transmuted to epic gems..it also requires other mats..but its a good bit cheaper than buying/farming the epic gems..find an alchemist to transmute them
    Yeah, basically this. Forest Emerald can make Eye of Zul, Scarlet Ruby can make Cardinal Ruby, Monarch Topaz makes Ametrine, Sky Sapphire to Majestic Zircon, Twilight Opal can make Dreadstone, Autumn's Glow can make King's Amber. If you happen to find a transmute-spec alchemist, he/she has a chance to make extra epic gems. (I procced 5 Cardinal Rubies once. It was awesome.)

So I'd recommend you get yourself an alchemist, grab some eternals, and get to transmuting! Remember they can only do it once per day but it pays off in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mem View Post
    This really. Don't cut them at all, just save the uncut versions and find a transmuter.
    Not really a great solution because transmuting is a 1 per day thing... I have literally 100s of blue quality gems and it sounds like the OP does too.

I can still sell blue quality gems on my server but not many. New 80s or people with gear they expect to replace very fast still buy blue gems. The important thing is to put them on the AH at the right time. There's no point putting them on at night because by the time someone actually wants to buy them you will probably have been undercut and your auction will probably time out before there is another person looking.

Other than that just try and use your brain to pick out what is more likely to be a popular cut then check the AH for that cut and see what the price is.... if the price is below 15-20g then it's not worth putting them on. For example the only thing worth cutting from sky sapphire is solid... lots of demand from new tanks.

I make a fairly tidy profit on the 19sp and 24 stamina gems. Budding tanks and casters buy these gems to fill in the slots in the pre 80 gear. I'd say i sell anywhere between 3 and 10 a day depending on the time of week (weekends are good) and i sell the 24 Stam for about 44g and the Spell Power on for slightly under at about 39.

Theres alot less undercutting with the rare gems and the profit is pretty good if you stick with it.

Ah, forgot about transmutation. Doesn't sound like I'll make an absolute killing off it, but I need some of the gems mentioned for my own gear. As we say in Russia, "from a lousy sheep - I'll take even a handful of wool". Thanks.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

Girls like them cut better than uncut.... And so do vendors ;-)
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I'd sell them uncut. Then other transmuters can buy them. You can get 5-7 gold per blue on my server in today's market (which is end of expansion low). You could cut a small handful and sell them to people leveling up, but the volume is such that it is probably not worth the effort. I will spend maybe 15G for a cut blue while leveling, so twice the uncut price, but that is about it.

either cut them and sell now to all the bored people rolling alts or save them til after cata comes out and sell uncut to all the people leveling up goblins/worgen and powerleveling professions.
    Goblins > Worgen -- Don't believe me? Watch This:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LddOtJFuSv0

Deleted
    I cut them and then vendor them. Raw gem sells for 3g. Cut gem sells for 4.5g.

I also buy any rare gems below 4.5g from the auction house. Which is... alot.

Try selling them cut. You just need to use your brain when deciding what to cut. If the price on ah is lower than 15g then dont bother listing that cut. I get on average about 20-25g for blue quality gems on my server.

Got 2 mail pages worth of mostly blue quality gem cut sales last night at 15-30g each. Certainly better than selling uncut or cutting and vendoring.

Last edited by Paulosio; 2010-09-16 at 02:44 PM.

I use vendoring for the gems not used by Transmutes

The rest I go for some decent selling cuts and selling raw for transmutes

Cut them into popular cuts (24 stam, 16 agi, 16 int and such) and sell on AH.
    30g is better than 0g and taking up a bank slot.
    The rest, sell uncut or try to find someone who needs to skill up JC and sell them in bulk to them.

Cut the reds and maybe yellows into sp/str/AP/hit gems and sell the rest raw. I know i use them on the gear from the BC dungeons to level up thru 80 with and some it Heroic gear i know i'll be replacing in a week or two once i get into some icc's.

They definitely still sell, not as well as they use to but that's natural with the end of the expansion.