Question A Question of Race Change And Cata Raiding...

Yesterday while doing VoA 25 I got a chance to chat with a friend who's in one of my server's top raiding guilds. I take a moment and ask this person "what are the chances of getting my goblin mage into that guild when Cataclysm goes live?"

Her response, "If you have a mage I would convert him to goblin and sign up."

Me: "I don't think race change will be available at the start of Cataclysm. Goblins and worgen players and likely those who want to roll the new race/class combos will have to start from scratch." Last I checked this is the truth, at least for the first few months of Cataclysm. It's only in beta now because they're testing it out. Even if that wasn't the case though and you can race change right off the bat, I'm not about to skip out on any of the new content featured in goblin starting area, so I'll start from scratch.

She then replied that I likely won't get into the guild because they will be wanting to start progressing into raid content as soon as possible, so only those who are ready will be accepted into the guild.

Well, that's their choice if they want to do that, but I see a couple problems. First one stems from the fact that race change might not be available right off the bat, and I refuse to believe that everyone in any guild is going to want to continue on their old toons. Maybe enough to do 10 man content. Second, we've seen that dungeons are going to be a lot tougher in Cataclysm, requiring crowd control and all the fun stuff we saw in Burning Crusade, so if they think they're just going to breeze their way into raid content they likely are going to be disappointed. Lastly, I personally find this to be just flat out stupid. One of the big ideas for Cataclysm was to create a fresh start for players in a revamped old world, so I find that breezing through content to get to raids shows that you're basically missing out on most of the new content. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe I'm just ticked off that they would choose to not invite people who want to start off with something new, but mostly I'm a bit concerned that race change will be available at the beginning. Something that I would find to be extremely retarded.

no top raiding guild would let u join level 1 to 85 just to find out you suck and you wasted there time
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Top raiding guilds don't care about new lower lvl content, they care about top raiding content. The real hardcore guilds are the ones after Realm/World First and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    no top raiding guild would let u join level 1 to 85 just to find out you suck and you wasted there time
    If they were wise they probably wouldn't, which is why I was thinking about signing up with them now with my current mains so I could be have a foot in with that time comes. If this is their policy though, I'm not going to bother.

And like I said, I doubt all of them are going to want to stick with their current mains and will want to have a goblin or a tauren paladin or whatever. I'm thinking most of them are expecting paid race change to be available at launch, which I don't think is going to happen.

So what are they going to do, /gkick all of the people who want to start new toons so the rest of them can get to see Cho'gall earlier than anyone else? Yeah, no top raiding guild is worth the effort if they treat members shitty enough for that kind of policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    Top raiding guilds don't care about new lower lvl content, they care about top raiding content. The real hardcore guilds are the ones after Realm/World First and stuff like that.
    If this turns out to be the case then I won't worry about joining them. I'll find a different guild when I hit 85.

Of all the raiding guilds that were at the top on my server during Burning Crusade, maybe one or two of them are still around being the top raiding guild, and the one in question isn't one of them. Things change and there will be other ponds to choose later on down the road.
    Last edited by willjones410; 2010-09-15 at 08:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just so you know - if you didn't read the blue notes on the main page.

4.0.1 - talent trees and character changes will happen to live
    4.0.3 - new race/class combos will be implemented in live
    Cata - Goblin/Worgens, flying, level cap, new zones will come.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willjones410 View Post
    If they were wise they probably wouldn't, which is why I was thinking about signing up with them now with my current mains so I could be have a foot in with that time comes. If this is their policy though, I'm not going to bother.

And like I said, I doubt all of them are going to want to stick with their current mains and will want to have a goblin or a tauren paladin or whatever. I'm thinking most of them are expecting paid race change to be available at launch, which I don't think is going to happen.

So what are they going to do, /gkick all of the people who want to start new toons so the rest of them can get to see Cho'gall earlier than anyone else? Yeah, no top raiding guild is worth the effort if they treat members shitty enough for that kind of policy.
    And yet whenever a new raid is open, some guild manages to score the World First 1 or 2 days after it. The type of guilds that chase these achievs are usually formed by people that don't care about anything other than furious raid progression. If the guild you're talking about is one of those, then they are probably thinking "meh, new races and low lvl content are nice, I guess I'll try some of them after I get Realm First and have my main with full heroic sanctified T11".

---------- Post added 2010-09-15 at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ShockASU View Post

You didn't even read one line of what the OP said, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by ShockASU View Post

I'm assuming by character changes they mean class mechanics. What about paid race change? Is it or is it not going to be available at the start of Cataclysm?

I would hope the answer to this should be obvious no, but with the number of people who keep saying "I'm changing my belf pally to tauren"
    or "changing my nelf druid to worgen" I'm not so sure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    And yet whenever a new raid is open, some guild manages to score the World First 1 or 2 days after it. The type of guilds that chase these achievs are usually formed by people that don't care about anything other than furious raid progression. If the guild you're talking about is one of those, then they are probably thinking "meh, new races and low lvl content are nice, I guess I'll try some of them after I get Realm First and have my main with full heroic sanctified T11".
    Well I'll congratulate them if that's their goal and still find a separate guild when I get to 85.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willjones410 View Post
    Well I'll congratulate them if that's their goal and still find a separate guild when I get to 85.
    Same here. I wanna get down to raiding soon, but I'm not rushing my main's experience in the new 80-85 content or my goblin warlocks fun in Lost Isles and Azshara. That's why I'd never join one of those übber hardcore guilds, but I understand that there are people crazy enough to do that. XD

to this post...

recently there was a blue post that stated patch 4.0.1-4.0.3

would implemented class combos, and the world being totally revamped

this patch would go live a month before Cataclysm Launch, so when cata launches it could be possible :O
    MY BETA INVITE IS OVER 9,000!

IMO, if you want to experience the goblin starting areas ... just do it with an alt of another class then your main(mage?). Then just use paid race change to become a goblin(at launch or later is nessesary. That way you could still join the guild, then in your spare time you could level the alt for the experience there ... once your done(in the 20s?) then you can just go back to your main and skip all the inbetween ... It's completely odd to me that you would start a whole new character of the same class, on the same server, just to experience the new quests. Thats what Alts are for ... or just go back and do it all on your main(since the story is what should interest you vs the level difficulty)
    REAL ID was merely a setback!