Thread: Arpen or Str?

Deleted

Arpen or Str?

Hi,on my server is only S5 season now.Only S5 eq,and T7,5 eq...but this equip is extremely low.I have pvp+arp gear:I have about 600 resil and 20% arp from gear and sockets.I have two top weps now-Betrayer of Humanity & Deadly Gladiator's Bonegrinder (Sorry but i cant post any links now ^^).I also have arp trinket-Grim toll ...but i dont know what is better for me now.Should i go for strength,not for arp?Or more arp gear and mace spec to reach arp softcap?But at cost of low resil...

Str, ArP disappears soon.

Quote Originally Posted by marrakoosh View Post
    ArP doesn't exactly disappear, it becomes disguised in the form of "Mastery" for the classes/specs that take advantage of the stat, (I.e., Combat Rogue, Fury Warriors, etc.)

Don't confuse this with Mastery in general, because the stat is something that will each apply to the Mastery Bonuses given to the Class/Spec in the talent trees.

-------

Now to answer your question, if you are concerned about your ArP gems changing to crit gems after the patch, go with strength. If you want to maximize what damage you can do now, with stats permitting you to reach required levels of the stat to make it useful of course. Go ahead do it.

There is no reason to limit the potential you can do in the game even though there is an expansion near. Just change it after.

15+ Year Old Account
    what does Mastery do for Fury Warriors in Cataclysm? I have 100% ArP, so whatever Master does come Cata, I'm going to have a lot of it >_>

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Arp does not become mastery for warriors. None of our masteries (especially fury) have anything to do with ARP.

Fury gets an increased enrage effect and arms gets more chances to proc an extra swing. That is all mastery effects for us as dps.

Armor Pen turns into Crit not Mastery.

Download my UI here: Barretta UI

If you didn't notice, he said that on his server, there's only Season 5 and T 7-gear. So I'm guessing he's playing WoW China, where Wrath was just released.

So he won't be getting *the* patch anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cTron417 View Post
    Armor Pen turns into Crit not Mastery.
    He wasn't saying that arp gems transform into mastery. What he was saying (even though he is wrong) is that arp will be disguised as masteries. IE: stacking mastery increases armor penetration.

However, that is not true for warriors at all in any spec.

I wasn't saying ArP turns into Mastery either...and no I am not wrong. Mastery will be used in giving stats to increase damage. And Most certainly didn't say to stack Mastery for ArP.

The Mastery bonuses affect more than what you think they do,

wowwiki.com/Warrior#Mastery_Passive_Talent_Tree_Bonuses

Right there for the Arms Mastery bonus it says it increases Armour Penetration....

And a Mastery stat that says it increases melee damage can indirectly be using ArP in the background as the modifier in which to increase the damage, but that is to not limit it to that, it can as easily well be +X% damage modifier too...

those are the old masterys, they scraped that and now only keeped the 3rd one that was the only one affected by the mastery stat anyway, the 2 first one were only affected by how many points you had in the tree

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderman View Post
    and no I am not wrong.
    Sorry sir, but you are.

Arms:
    Strikes of Opportunity
    Grants a 0% chance for your melee attacks to instantly trigger an additional melee attack for 50% normal damage. Each point of Mastery increases this chance by 0%.

Fury:
    Unshackled Fury
    Increases the benefit of abilities that cause or require you to be enraged by 0%. Each point of Mastery increases enrage effects by an additional 0%.

Those are the only 2 things dps warriors get that mastery affects. Neither have to do with arp. On top of that, passive bonuses gained by spending points in a tree (sub-mastery if you will) are not affected by mastery rating nor do any of them in any warrior dps tree deal with arp.
    Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2010-09-16 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks DementedWisdom for that, I wasn't aware those were old Masteries, but it makes sense.

As for you Justintime...you could have said the same thing...and still not wrong...just out of date, but thanks anyway. Next time work on your delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    If you didn't notice, he said that on his server, there's only Season 5 and T 7-gear. So I'm guessing he's playing WoW China, where Wrath was just released.

So he won't be getting *the* patch anytime soon.
    Only worthwhile post in here.

Assuming WoW China is the case, I would use strength gems.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Quote Originally Posted by marrakoosh View Post
    ^^^ this

Deleted
    He's playing on WoW china you noobs,
    "on my server is only S5 season now.Only S5 eq,and T7,5 eq"
    Armor penetration wont dissapear any soon on for him.

To the poster; since I don't believe your question was answered.

Early on with gear strength is going to out weigh armor pen. You need to work on the following first.

1: soft hit cap of 5% with the 3% from talents
    2: soft expertise cap of 26
    3: stack strength armor pen on gear is okay but strength will net you more damage
    4: as the game progressive further and you gain more armor pen from gear/upgrades is when the balance game begins.

Fir now grim toll will be a good trinket for you since it helps get you to the soft hit cap. The passive proc won't go wasted it will help. In fact hold onto that trinket since it is chance on hit and not chance on crit like NES.

I still wouldn't try for 100% armor pen until you have around 6k unbuffed attack power. Just my advice, but I find I can crank out way more dps without trying to force the armor pen hard cap without the proper gear backing it up.
    Raid Leading - it's the next best thing to playing every class and spec, you just can't push the buttons or move the mouse. That's why they die.

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderman View Post
    As for you Justintime...you could have said the same thing...and still not wrong...just out of date, but thanks anyway. Next time work on your delivery.
    Sorry for being straight forward with you but my original post correcting your info was not even directed at you but instead at the OP. the second post was directed at you because you insisted you were right, when in fact you are not, regardless of if it was out of date or not. If you took my delivery as insulting then you misread, I was only correcting bad information which tends to be an issue in these parts. No anger or sarcasm was meant to be in the response directed at you.

This thread surprises me. From the thread title, I expected flames - reading the OP, I expected a straight answer. But apparently, people here are simply posting for the sake of posting. Here's how it's done:

Soft Cap ArP with Grim Toll (~50% passive ArP, ~50% from your trinket - 13.99 Rating = 1%, do the math yourself) and stack Strength when you've hit it. Do the same thing with Mjolnirs Runestone, when you get access to it. It's not viable to Hard Cap ArP until you have access to T9 (ToC)
    Fyrn Galore, General a.D.
    President of Aesyr®. The only true Heavy Metal Guild there is.

Deleted
    Thank for advice