Star Trek Online

I have: one unopened Collector's Edition box of Star Trek Online. This is what happens when people give gifts without thinking.

I have played the "free demo" part of the game. My impression: space is pretty and fun, ground combat is badly animated and sucks.

So now I wonder: should I ebay the box or should I try STO out? I have no faith in Cryptic: I played Champions Online a bit, it started as a massive fail and since evolved into moderate fail. All reviews that I've read are from 2009 and early 2010, so I don't know if anything changed. But most reviews agreed that once you get past the space eye candy, the game is boring, grindy and repetitive (moreso than a regular MMO).

Anyone got experience with it?
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

15+ Year Old Account
    Sell it for sure. You can play the trial for as long as you want basically. Seeing there is nothing to do end game, it would be best to just keep the trial for whatever reason you want to keep playing that game, it may be going f2p soon.

No first hand experience, But I have heard nothing other than bad reviews on STO.

My impression: space is pretty and fun, ground combat is badly animated and sucks.
    Sums up what Ive read else where.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Sell it for sure. You can play the trial for as long as you want basically. Seeing there is nothing to do end game, it would be best to just keep the trial for whatever reason you want to keep playing that game, it may be going f2p soon.
    Agreed, I am not, by any stretch of the imagination a fast leveller (took me over a year to hit 80), and it is waaaay too easy to hit the level cap in STO. And once the shiny wears off, it's extremely repetitive. Away missions are severely lacking in ambiance and variety. I'd dust it off for maybe one evening a month if it were F2P, but that's about it.

It's definitely a mighty fine piece of eye candy though, imo.

Btw, nice avatar Naidia.
    And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

There's a trial of the game now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing how I ran out of content in Champions Online within a month, I suggest you sell it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone I know who tried the game has since stopped playing it. I never played it myself, but based on the actions of others, I'd try to sell it while there may be some value left.

I remember looking forward to Star Trek Online. But... what happened to it. All I remeber that was worthy of note was a Developer change during development.... oh, I see now.

A new copy in now only $20. Down from $50 in just a few months after release.

Just thought I would throw that in.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.