Poll: Which takes most skill? please back your answer

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Post the end all debate: arena vs bg

so, i don't know how your servers are(particularily forums), but on mine there are bg hero's/5v1 world pvp boasting vs arena players. people on one side saying (at one guy in particular) you got battlemaster, but u cant get 1800. On the other side, well I honestly dont know, they defend with arena isnt balanced( feel free to post for your side)

Dot dot goose / pillar humping / run in CC one global the other vs coordination goal oriented pvp. I don't mind arena but I much more enjoy bgs. Even in other games I hated straight up "slayer" type matches like in Halo, I always wanted to play CTF or <goal> games.

Deleted
    Bg was much better with premades old days. Arena is not fun anymore. It requires alot of skill, but there is luck also. It escapes from the borders of a game and it becomes a tournament. Bg is always fun with or withour premade.

BG's have more variables. they require more skill in an equal setting. However, better players play arena. So, if the question is, which does it take more skill to succeed in currently? Arena. If the question is, if the best players played battlegrounds, which would take more skill to succeed in? Battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by nosoup4crr View Post
    BG's have more variables. they require more skill in an equal setting. However, better players play arena. So, if the question is, which does it take more skill to succeed in currently? Arena. If the question is, if the best players played battlegrounds, which would take more skill to succeed in? Battlegrounds.
    This, pretty much.

Looking forward to rated BGs myself, enjoy them a lot more than arena. Except the 40mans.

Quote Originally Posted by patixas View Post
    Bg was much better with premades old days. Arena is not fun anymore. It requires alot of skill, but there is luck also. It escapes from the borders of a game and it becomes a tournament. Bg is always fun with or withour premade.
    Playing with people who disregard objectives isn't fun by any means. If I may quote Athene, "You play for fun, but when I kill you, who's having the fun?". In this case, if you lose, who's having the fun? Rated battlegrounds are a step for the better, but they better make damn sure that you don't end up boosting leechers and such.

@nosoup4crr: Drakedog, for example, never set a foot in arena as far as I know. Arena is where the competition is - there are ratings, there are ladders and you can choose your teammates. Battlegrounds aren't competitive and even one-two guys that know what the hell they are supposed to do can't turn the tables in an AV game where the mindless swarm of bads RUSH DREK LOLOL LETS DO ALTERAC BLITZ LOLOLOL SURE WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Untoldblasphemy View Post
    Playing with people who disregard objectives isn't fun by any means. If I may quote Athene, "You play for fun, but when I kill you, who's having the fun?". In this case, if you lose, who's having the fun? Rated battlegrounds are a step for the better, but they better make damn sure that you don't end up boosting leechers and such.

@nosoup4crr: Drakedog, for example, never set a foot in arena as far as I know. Arena is where the competition is - there are ratings, there are ladders and you can choose your teammates. Battlegrounds aren't competitive and even one-two guys that know what the hell they are supposed to do can't turn the tables in an AV game where the mindless swarm of bads RUSH DREK LOLOL LETS DO ALTERAC BLITZ LOLOLOL SURE WIN.

that's definitely the case now. But, if battlegrounds were filled with 20 of the best players from the battlegroup, all trying to win (not to kill the other team), then i believe it would take more skill. I'm not talking about 20 drakedogs in a BG. I'm talking about 20 people who use teamwork like arena players do. BG heros are so accustomed to doing things on their own, that i suspect they'd actually be hard-pressed to adjust to a true premade BG environment.

Deleted
    i think for arena u need a working setup. with skill u can play nearly everything in a bg. so + for bg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgrazr View Post
    the end all debate
    See, here on MMO-champ there are never any end-all debates. They pop up again in 2-3 days tops.

OT: Depends on your comp, your skill, your enemy's comp, your enemy's skill, RNG and also pie. Why can't everyone just settle for doing what they find fun regardless of if it takes more skill than the alternative or not?

lol yeh, i just thought of it and looked for it in forums and didnt find. the reason i made is mostly because of the forum trolls on my realm forums :P. someone made a LF pvp guild thread and its escaladed into a flame war haha. so i thought what better place to do it than here

Erm.. Surely MMO-champ is a great place for this thread.

---------- Post added 2010-09-18 at 01:52 PM ----------

"You play for fun, but when I kill you, who's having the fun?".
    haha epic quote. Athene<3

Rated bg's surely are going to be fun, and from the bg leader perspective it will require some sort of skill.

But everyone knows arena involves the most individuall skill, and also the most coördination.

It is pretty obvious that arena requires more skill to do well than BG's ever will.

"Hi, I click half of my abilities use s key, never been above 1500 rating so I'll vote battlegrounds, becuase in arena there's not enough place to show skill like mine!"

BGs are more fun, but sadly you only get the gear from arenas, hopefully cata fixes this well

yeh id rather BG with a good group, but q's too long, arenas instant q's ftw

atm, I'll vote arena, but I dont like it at all, not the state it's currently in. My vote goes for arena due to bg's are just 2-3 good and strong people carrying a few retards.
    But you can actully compare arenas vs bg's to 10man vs 25man raids,
    In it's a larger group to coordinate and control while working synchronized.
    While in arena it's you and your mate(s).
    atm, arena takes more skill and awareness, but still will hopefully change.
    The time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Naraga View Post
    Rated bg's surely are going to be fun, and from the bg leader perspective it will require some sort of skill.

But everyone knows arena involves the most individuall skill, and also the most coördination.
    You didn't finish the first part of your sentence. Should be: But everyone knows arena involves the most individual skill when selecting your comp.

Also, getting 10 people (or more) to coordinate in a bg is more difficult than getting 2, 3 or 5 people to coordinate in arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Repo123 View Post
    You didn't finish the first part of your sentence. Should be: But everyone knows arena involves the most individual skill when selecting your comp.

Also, getting 10 people (or more) to coordinate in a bg is more difficult than getting 2, 3 or 5 people to coordinate in arena.
    Coordination in BGs and in arenas aren't exactly the same thing... In BGs it's you guys come here, you go there, we stay here.
    In arenas it's much more complicated.

"You play for fun, but when I kill you, who's having the fun?"
    Had to use that in my sig, that was pure awesome !
    "You play for fun, but when I kill you, who's having the fun?"
    ^ Awesome !

Arena doesn't take skill, it takes a class that has the best CC, burst damage, or survivability. There's just some classes that are just horrible in arena because of there lack of, or horrible survivability, cc, or burst damage. Battlegrounds are more fun because every class is good at it, and useful. It also takes more skill in coordinating 10,15,25,40 people to work together to accomplish a common goal. A goal of winning.
    Last edited by orlfman; 2010-09-19 at 07:11 PM.