Poll: Who knows that you play warcraft?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is WoW your dirty secret?

Another thread that appeared today got me thinking, how open am I about my World of Warcraft playing? When I think about it, next to no-one really knows that I'm playing who I haven't met over the game or have played with for a long time. My housemates at the moment, even, are pretty unaware (I have a relaxed schedule and it's pretty easy to pass of raiding as "reading" when you're doing such a slack degree as mine). I'm reticent of telling people, even those who I know play video games and consider them socially acceptable. WoW seems to be another step down the "nerd" scale from regular gaming (somewhere between Halo and Dungeons and Dragons, I'd say).

So what about you? Outside of your WoW-acquittances, do you broadcast the fact that you play?

Deleted
    Playing WoW isn't my dirty secret, cheating on my wife is.

Make poll imo.. But no, it's not. Most people I know are aware that i play it, but then again, many of them plays aswell :P

I dont go around actively telling people, but i dont deny it, and most people at my school know

I don't broadcast it. It's like a chick with ugly feet or smokes, insta turn off.

Im pretty open with telling people that I like to play games, I don't mind being a bit of a geek don't think people that know me really care tbh, especially as i play quite casually. Think it's just the stereotype that comes with playing WoW that people want to avoid more than anything. I could be wrong though, as that is just my opinion.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    atm most ppl I know, know I used to play WoW

but for my next gf it would probably be my little dirty secret

Um honestly when i played everyone i knew on my floor (roughly 50 people or so) and a majority of all my friends i would hang out with regularly knew. Most people honestly don't care and i at times was raiding 4 hours a day 3 days a week not adding in random play times. The only people i feel like that generally hate on anyone for this are those that are really concerned with what others think/those who have their own self esteem issues. My advice is to anyone who's a little weary about telling people is that if people are really your friends they obviously won't care they may pick on you but it's not a huge deal. Not to mention the fact that if it makes you happy who care what others think lol. My girlfriend would come over at times and she'd give me shit for it mainly because i'd be like... if you want to come over fine but i'm playing for the next hour so you can wait or come over now lol. I'm not exactly what you'd think of as your typical gamer i guess though (or maybe i am?) i work out 5 -6 days a week/school/job/intramurals/party all that jazz.

It'd be nice if you added an, "I don't hide it" option tho
    Last edited by xile; 2010-09-20 at 01:12 PM.

Deleted
    Updated with a poll, you can pop a vote in whatever is relevant.

To ItachiZaku, I'm not suggesting that it's something you'd necessarily introduce yourself with, but there comes a point when naturally it would come up when meeting someone? At least, I mean, with a girl/boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I don't broadcast it. It's like a chick with ugly feet or smokes, insta turn off.
    zomfg what kind of country you live in when playing a computer game is a turn off for somebody? If it was same here, I'd tell that person to bugger off and f**k him/herself if they judge me for playing a friggin' GAME!
    I'll say even more, even though I quit wow already about 3 months ago, but in my long time with it I felt like I had more life than when I was partying with friends etc, well normal stuff you call "having a life".

Anyway, I don't hide one bit that I play(ed) WoW or any other MMO. I'm glad to discuss it with people and even to suggest it to someone who's interested, never met someone who was like "omg ur playing mmo eeeeewwwwwwwww". Some girls did say that I don't look like a gamer type though, and funny thing is I'm CRAZY gamer, spending 90% of my free time with games.

Well i dont lie about it.

If someone asks me, i tell him that i play, but unless i get asked i dont go around and spread the word.
    People are quite narrowminded, and if they once knew a WOW player, or had seen one on TV, you are all the same for them unless you prove them wrong.

I dont really have the energy or the willingness to prove this on and on, so i simply avoid the situation.

Don't tell anyone. Its not like people come to you and say, "do you play wow?" So I guess no one will know cause I don't tell people "hey I spent yester leveling my JC skill in wow".

I would lie about it , sadly.

My IRL friends have always been the "cool kids" even back in school , gotta keep up my image yo.
    Article 37 : A Bro is under no obligation to open a door for anyone. If a women insist on having their own professional basketball league, then they can open their own doors. Honestly, they're not that heavy.
    Article 49 : When asked,"Do you need some help?" a Bro shall automatically respond, "i got it," whether or not he's actually got it.

It's funny - the general stereotype is playing MMO's is a pretty sheltered, sequestered thing - I play WoW with a bunch of old friends from college, and it serves as a means of staying in touch - and, I imagine, is considerably more social then coming home from work, and plopping down on the couch to watch tv for 4 hours before going to bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warsaw, Poland, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way
    If anyone asks me what games do I like, I'll say "WoW" first. If they find it dumb, childlish, nerdy or anything, then they're idiots and not worth my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    One cannot simply walk into Mulgore...

Quote Originally Posted by Renovo View Post
    It's funny - the general stereotype is playing MMO's is a pretty sheltered, sequestered thing - I play WoW with a bunch of old friends from college, and it serves as a means of staying in touch - and, I imagine, is considerably more social then coming home from work, and plopping down on the couch to watch tv for 4 hours before going to bed.
    I feel like the typical picture of a nerd these days is dam near non existent seeing how because of the popularization of consoles almost everyone regardless of social status (geek or jock) play video games now. A lot of games like Halo tend to bridge the gap between the cool games and the nerdy games. It argues a very nerdy story coupled with amazing gameplay and multiplayer that attracts just about anyone interested in the game. Playing WoW isn't as much of a taboo as people think these days even though when i told a few people on my floor that i ply WoW all they could say was like WHATTT really? Most ppl are normal who play it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeast80 View Post
    zomfg what kind of country you live in when playing a computer game is a turn off for somebody? If it was same here, I'd tell that person to bugger off and f**k him/herself if they judge me for playing a friggin' GAME!
    I've just known several females that had their relationships "ruined" over it and in talking with them about "the next guy" said they wouldn't even think about it if they played WoW or any other MMO "it's all the same thing" but really, I probably spend more time on my fantasy football/baseball leagues than WoW.

well, my video game friends. its not like someone who isnt in touch with the game community knows what world of warcraft is, most of the time.

though i dont really flaunt it around. there are people with this idiotic mentality "wow is crap therefore anyone who plays wow is crap", and put on a "holier than thou" act when they find out you play it.

its very hard not to punch them in the face. very.

Sometimes when people come over and see me play and ask "what's that" I just tell them.
    If people ask me about WoW I tell them - but as people above me said already I don't broadcast it or anything it's just something I do.

People who don't play WoW would never understand it ^^
    "Remember to take ALL things in moderation.. Even World of Warcraft" :]

I've been a gamer since forever, literally, i started playing game when i was something like 6 or 7 and i always loved RPGs.

I won't change that for anyone, so no point in hiding it. If someone have a problem with that he can get lost.