Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowy View Post
    Do you work for Blizzard?
    ever heard of overload and crashes ?

15+ Year Old Account
    oh lol this is the funniest thing I ever heard...
    merging all servers ...

it means like making world 1000 times bigger then current
    not to mention the technical side of the problem

just forget about it ... it wont happen ...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Q: Will WoW ever get a new weapon type?
    A. Tauren will be able to dual-wield gnomes on a stick.

Deleted
    Lets say they actually had the technology to do this, having several milions of people at the same realm... How would that go? The world would have to be giant. Cities, daily quest hubs... Count of mobs would have to go from 10-20 to hundreds more likely thousands, where would they be? You see the pattern...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    Is this a joke or what ?

U remember how lagy servers can be sometimes ?
    Now imagine if 20 000 people played on that same server
    Now imagine if 100 000 people played on that same server
    And now imagine if 1 milion people played on same server

U will wait in queue to log in for over a month and when u log in u will suffer so much lag u will have consant wish to hang yourself
    Yea but on the plus side you'll get that bug where you lag at FP's and fuse to your gryphon gaining a 5000% speed increase like in classic....oh STV How I miss ye....evading rogues in seconds and chasing down priests who have nowhere to run or hide from your lightspeed pursuits <3

They can't force likely several 100.000 people to change their names.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    While this is a wonderful *idea* from an idealistic standpoint, the server lag that would occur (think of wintergrasp, but everywhere you go x100) and the ridiculous overpopulation of the 'world' would be miserable. While it might feel 'epic' for an hour or so, the gameplay would suffer and the world isn't physically big enough to comfortable fit that many players. Just my take on it, it would be nice if blizzard would come up with a system to incentivize horde or alliance "guild" migrations, that would allow, for example, a horde guild on a horde dominated server to transfer to an alliance dominated server, while maintaining their guild structure/bank/tabs/achieves/etc... and perhaps gaining something for it.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Lets say they actually had the technology to do this, having several milions of people at the same realm... How would that go? The world would have to be giant. Cities, daily quest hubs... Count of mobs would have to go from 10-20 to hundreds more likely thousands, where would they be? You see the pattern...
    Okay, I didn't think of the number of mobs but making the world even bigger to solve it doesn't sound like a bad thing. That would be epic!

I already avoid Ogrimmar and Dalaran like a plague. To think of having over 100x that population...

Then comes the gold sellers. 100x time more gold sellers whispering crap to my toons, sending stupid mails and hacking the game to form they messages with lvl 1 orcs. No where would be safe. Im gonna have nightmares later just thinking about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumberparty View Post
    The netcode and hardware needed to do something like this is at least 8-10 years away =)
    Not only that, but imagine user end PCs that would need to handle rendering thousands of players - and the bandwith required to send thousands of players movements without severe lag.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by YTOfficer01 View Post
    Yea but on the plus side you'll get that bug where you lag at FP's and fuse to your gryphon gaining a 5000% speed increase like in classic....oh STV How I miss ye....evading rogues in seconds and chasing down priests who have nowhere to run or hide from your lightspeed pursuits <3
    Speaking of FP's yo know how laggy it can get when you have 10+ people AFK on the spawn point for the Stormwind FP landing? imagine 100 people doing that....then 1,000 then 10,000 then 100,000 then 1 million!...the horror...THE HORROR....T3H H0RR0R!!!!1111!!!!!2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumberparty View Post
    The netcode and hardware needed to do something like this is at least 8-10 years away =)
    Not even considering how the computers at home would just leave the front door after going to a main city with 12000 players. How did your Dalaran work again?

Lets just imagine for a moment that it was possible. Blizzard had the hardware, the network and the software to support it.

Now remember how busy each of the starting zones was with each stage of WoW. Durotar or Elwynn Forest on vanilla release. Hellfire Peninsula on TBC release. Borean Tundra on WotLK release. Remember how each quest took ages because of the sheer amount of people after the quest mobs? Right, now multiply those numbers by about 200.

No, it would not be a great thing if Blizzard merged the servers.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    There would be like 100 000 people in Stormwind alone at times. Imagine that

It might be technically possible for all the servers in a Battle group to be combined into a single server, since they are all in the same location but I don't think you could combine all the servers as they have several different data centers and combining them requires fast low latency connection which basically means all the servers have to be together. (The servers in different timezones are actually in different locations)

Even if it was technically possible, I don't think it would be a good idea. Take all the problems of a maxed out server and multiple them by 100X or more. Major cities would be hugely laggy because of all the people. Spam in Trade chat would be horrid. Trying to complete quests would be worse than right after an expansion because so many people would be trying to do the same thing. Gathering professions would be pointless as there would always be tons of people looking for the nodes. WoW was designed with a particular population size in mind and merging all the servers together would go so far past that point that many things would be broken and would need to be completely reworked.

Stupid idea :/

Imagine the 100,000 people running round on a mount in Dalaran!!?? Damn, that'd be laggy as hell.

They would end up having to give you instanced versions of every single zone just to make any kind of questing possible, which would end up being essentially the same thing as having multiple realms, just more arbitrary and unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike View Post
    It's not technically possible. End Of Story.

This. Although merging some of the lower populated realms isn't out of the question.

ever been on one of the highly-populated realms and tried to read trade chat?(stormscale-EU anyone? )

You want this about 300 times sicker? Here you go!!
    Last edited by Heltoray; 2010-09-20 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YTOfficer01 View Post
    200 servers of skewed alliance-horde ratios merging into one super server equals an epicly skewed alliance-horde ratio.
    Unlikely, unless every server has a ratio screwed the same way.

But anyway, its a daft idea, even if the EU US and Asia were all split, it would still be like 4 million people per realm.. imagine even trying to read trade chat.

I can imagine some server merges in the future though, as some are very low pop, but not a total merge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike View Post
    It's not technically possible. End Of Story.
    It is... but thanks for another useless post without having any insight clues.

TERA and other future and past MMOs will capable of holding several hundred thousends people, while still keeping an open world without instances or loading screens inbetween areas or towns.